Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Disco Elysium  (Read 2071 times)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disco Elysium
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2022, 07:37:56 am »

Disco Elysium comic, which I felt rings true:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Subtext on the comic is "You can't see it, but there's half an open bottle of red wine in his other hand."

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2022, 09:20:29 pm »

I'm worried that this is one of those games lots of people love but that the contrivances are going to irritate me. (I'd classify Shadow of the Colossus, Alan Wake as those kinds of games for me.) I hear DE's got style, I hear it's got substance, I hear it's got surprises. Those all check the boxes. Tell me something non-spoilerly that someone might not like about this game.

Okay, you're a police officer in a corporate hellscape who was a huge piece of shit, then you went on an epic bender that ruined your mind and body, and left you with amnesia. You're at the start of an investigation, but don't have any of your tools, or the trust of anyone because you sucked so bad. You just need to solve one mystery with the help of an officer from another department, while you sort of get yourself back into any kind of functional shape.

Edit: Also, your stats talk to you. Like your limbic system or whatever. And depending on how your conversations go, you can get bonuses or maluses. It's even possible to die in the first scene of the game with the right choices and stats.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 09:23:00 pm by Iduno »

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2022, 04:06:44 am »

Best game of the last half a decade, in my opinion. I love books, though, and this is like reading Inherent Vice blended with a table-top RPG.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2022, 10:53:37 pm »

I'm worried that this is one of those games lots of people love but that the contrivances are going to irritate me. (I'd classify Shadow of the Colossus, Alan Wake as those kinds of games for me.) I hear DE's got style, I hear it's got substance, I hear it's got surprises. Those all check the boxes. Tell me something non-spoilerly that someone might not like about this game.

Anyone who wants an escapist power fantasy in their cop simulator is going to have a bad time. The main character is a pathetic mess who gets stuff done despite/because of being a pathetic mess, not someone who grows past their pathetic messness. On any level. It's pathetic mess all the way down. There's a lot of unsympathetic characters.

Most of the time you're not going to know what to do. The correct answer is "do something, anything." This can feel uncomfortable.

The game takes a lot of potshots at the types of people who enjoy the fiction that inspired the game. They're not really malicious potshots but if you enjoy detective novels or tabletop games or politics or modern art movements, prepare to be roasted.

Also, the game is indisputably best with a "purple" emotional (rather than logic etc.) focused build. There are different choices that can be made but in terms of roleplaying potential, trying to be less messy or more full of winning actually makes the game a lot less fun. This is kind of stressful if you're actually trying to do the thing that the game tasked you to do. But yeah, logicop is boring and not good, do emoticop.

Finally, softlocking from side quest progression is part of the game. If you want to see everything you need to play multiple times and do so with intent.

I think that the Final Cut improved the game a lot in terms of giving you more to do and more choice at key points, making it feel a bit less railroaded. I love Kim to death.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 [2]