Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 3: This Time It's Feudal  (Read 35878 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 3 release date is announced
« Reply #135 on: September 02, 2020, 06:31:26 am »

Was playing the 1066 Ireland start.
Things were going quite well as my fourth restart. That is until someone contracted the Bubonic Plague.
I could not catch up to dismissing sick people out of my court because I didn't have enough prestige.
I decided to start over (yet again) when my son died of the plague. The RNG seem to like stacking the odds against the human player.

Or maybe I'm just generally bad at Crusader Kings.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 06:33:05 am by Ultimuh »

BoujeeTheAlan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 02, 2020, 06:44:48 am »

Only briefly looked inside but... Charlemagne start (actually all starts bar 1066 and Viking conquests) appears gone. Not sure about conclave probably gone. Shattered world starts and the like seem to be gone unless I'm mistaken.

But able to play all cultures from the start. New features include the stress system which I like in theory, research being culture wide and directed by a culture head rather than tied to individual provinces. Africa looks more filled out, new cultures and religions (not sure how diverse in practice), the new expanded focus trees which I like.

UI felt weird coming from ck2 but we all play df here, nothing we can't handle. I wasn't sure from pictures but I'm actually loving the new portraits from the little time I spent in game. Ultimately I feel pretty positive about this. They cut a little but the new systems should be interesting.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #137 on: September 02, 2020, 07:35:37 am »

* Shattered world is gone but there's two separate "Randomise Religions" and "Randomise Rulers" game rules that can do something similar.
* Ruler Editor is gone so no custom ruler starts (Paradox have said it'll be in a post-launch free update)
* Societies are gone but the secrets system has some elements of it (You can be a Witch, and can turn your house into a secret Witch's Coven for example).
* Charlemagne start is gone so the earliest start is now the Viking Era.
* The Treasury is gone, so only have the 'Pet Cat' attribute and stuff again.
* Nomads are gone.
* Cannot interact with China

Think that's all the major things missing from fully DLC'd CK2.

But all-in-all most of those features were never...thaaat great in CK2 by themselves, let's be honest. So they cut the things that didn't really 'work' and added lots of new features and streamlining around the idea of you playing a 'character' not a 'country' (The stress systems means suddenly obvious nope choices become 'maybes', for example). Character tree is a little 'gamey-feeling', but all-in-all it's a net positive I'd say. Ruler Editor is the only thing I actively miss, but could always just cheat to modify your character if you really wanted to anyway.

And in terms of potential modding, which let's face it is what all Paradox games become a sandbox for eventually, they've made a lot of things in the engine that were previously hard-coded data-driven so should be room for some pretty awesome Total Conversions in the future. They gave a few modding teams early access, so already have the 1.0s for a Bronze Age TC and a Vampire TC in the workshop.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 07:39:37 am by MorleyDev »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 02, 2020, 08:05:50 am »

Played the tutorial, 1066 Munster.  Completed it fine, invaded Desmond and captured it pretty handily but Murchad and Brian were both badly wounded.  Murchad himself was basically Robert Baratheoned, give me opium and let me die, but Brian seemed like he might be okay.  Turns out they both died within a day of each other, leaving Brian's daughter petty queen literally hours after she was born.

In another situation I might have played with that, see if I can keep things together, but considering this was like an hour into the game I'm just gonna start a new game as Murchad after work today.  This time I'll hire mercenaries right off the bat for Desmond, so we can plow through and take over clean.
Shoes...

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 02, 2020, 08:22:59 am »

Are Republics playable in CKIII?

I really liked the idea that you could start at any point in time between 1066 and the 1300s in CKII, but I also got the impression it was a lot of dev work for something that got barely used.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 02, 2020, 08:24:34 am »

Cannot play republics, unfortunately, I just checked
Love, scriver~

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 02, 2020, 08:26:06 am »

I don't think so, pretty sure there was a line in the tutorial that republics weren't playable. There was a lot of stuff in CK2 I just never used, so I don't really miss.  The cults expansion took the game too far into crazy fantasy land for me.  The new secrets and hooks stuff seems interesting.  Will see what I do next time.
Shoes...

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #142 on: September 02, 2020, 10:25:19 am »

Played the tutorial, got steamrolled by cascading bad luck.  Might mess around with something a little bit more low key next.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 02, 2020, 10:59:50 am »

It's been quite a few expansions ago since I played CKII, but I was left with the impression that most of the interesting gameplay involved being a more, er, cutthroat person. Any sense of whether CKIII (or just later CKII, I suppose) has a wider range of interesting gameplay direction?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 02, 2020, 11:33:31 am »

You can switch to other characters mid-game. 
Suicide is not the only option now.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #145 on: September 02, 2020, 12:04:29 pm »

It's been quite a few expansions ago since I played CKII, but I was left with the impression that most of the interesting gameplay involved being a more, er, cutthroat person. Any sense of whether CKIII (or just later CKII, I suppose) has a wider range of interesting gameplay direction?

In CK2, if you succeed at a kidnapping or murder without anyone finding out you'll never be found out.

In CK3 successful schemes become secrets that attach to characters and can be discovered later, for example by a good spymaster, by torturing people who know the secret, or by someone who you have a known secret on who wants you to abandon the hook in exchange for learning a different secret.

That's alone is a huge change to how you can go about skullduggery :) Dead men tell no tales, and your current co-conspirators can become a  problem later if you aren't careful.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 12:07:32 pm by MorleyDev »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 02, 2020, 12:30:52 pm »

I suppose I was being too vague there - meant that scheming and skullduggery felt like the primary interesting thing to do. Are there more alternative things to stay busy with?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 02, 2020, 01:23:27 pm »

You can switch to other characters mid-game. 
Suicide is not the only option now.
Doesn't work in ironman mode. So if you want to get those achievements, switching is not allowed.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 01:25:07 pm by Ultimuh »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 02, 2020, 02:23:20 pm »

I'll wait until its discounted and/or has more content
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 02, 2020, 02:26:49 pm »

I'll wait until its discounted and/or has more content

+1

But the discount only.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23