Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 3: This Time It's Feudal  (Read 35190 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 3 release date is announced
« Reply #105 on: May 18, 2020, 11:11:21 am »

Unrelated to the current topic, but I just remembered that the visible on-map baronies are not gonna be able to be taken without taking the whole county.

Which is kinda weird.
Why have the granular map, if it can't get super granular and anal on who owns what barony?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2020, 11:18:22 am »

Unrelated to the current topic, but I just remembered that the visible on-map baronies are not gonna be able to be taken without taking the whole county.

Which is kinda weird.
Why have the granular map, if it can't get super granular and anal on who owns what barony?

That's actually quite disappointing... honestly it would be a better game if it was based on the Barony lol instead of the County level.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #107 on: May 18, 2020, 11:59:47 am »

Another tidbit they removed was being able to choose start dates. Unlike most people I actually used them to be in particular exact time periods that interested me from wiki or shows I used to watch.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2020, 12:47:39 pm »

Imperator was a bust.  This will be too.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 18, 2020, 01:33:23 pm »

And what? Whether the practice is changed, it's still people's history.
This is true of literally everything in the game, though. Trying to call out this one thing on those grounds is disingenuous and overdramatic.

In what capacity am I being rude? Because I disagree with you?
Opening with sarcasm wasn't a good start, and you've been terse/indirect in addressing his points.

Imperator was a bust.  This will be too.
Imperator actually makes me feel better about CK3. It's a very polished and satisfying thing they forgot to make a video game for, and they still managed to improve things after launch. If CK3 turned out to just be Imperator but with more important characters to mess around with, I think it'd be alright.

The only snag is that it'll be competing with its prequel, with all of its patches and features and DLC and mods. I don't think that'll sink it, but being constantly compared to the previous product (hideous though it may be) will definitely be a high bar to pass.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2020, 03:25:45 pm »

Most people don't like paradox games because "har har me want free DLC! FREE! FREEEEEEEEEEE!!!!"!"!"!"!"

Here I am enjoying their games and I look at some of these profiles that review bombed imperator rome and one guy bought every call of duty game.

Hm, 1 call of duty game every 1-2 years at full price...or...dlc that actually expands the game...

hmm...

what an easy choice.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #111 on: May 18, 2020, 03:47:14 pm »

All I know is CK3 better not have the "mana" game mechanic system EU4 has. The main reason why I liked CK2 more was that it didn't have critical points (Adm/Dip/Mil) tied to research like EU4 does. Technology transfer was more fun in CK2 with either using your spy or councilors to gain tech. It made it so that you didn't have to pay attention to it like mad all the time. The most certain fact about the EU4 tech system is that if you were even if the tiniest behind, you'd get curb stomped by a force less in numbers than you.

Another peeve about CK3 that ties into this is that they apparently have discarded varied levies altogether.. which is less than ideal. I liked that about CK2 the most.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 18, 2020, 03:52:25 pm »

All I know is CK3 better not have the "mana" game mechanic system EU4 has. The main reason why I liked CK2 more was that it didn't have critical points (Adm/Dip/Mil) tied to research like EU4 does. Technology transfer was more fun in CK2 with either using your spy or councilors to gain tech. It made it so that you didn't have to pay attention to it like mad all the time. The most certain fact about the EU4 tech system is that if you were even if the tiniest behind, you'd get curb stomped by a force less in numbers than you.

Another peeve about CK3 that ties into this is that they apparently have discarded varied levies altogether.. which is less than ideal. I liked that about CK2 the most.

I actually agree with this and when its brought up in reviews. The mana system is boring as hell and feels too gamey and arcadey. And in EU4 spending mana (admin points) for stability feels so bad. I hope CK3 doesn't have it.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 18, 2020, 05:52:45 pm »

I just hope that the base game has something to it unlike how Imperator ended up as.

Most people don't like paradox games because "har har me want free DLC! FREE! FREEEEEEEEEEE!!!!"!"!"!"!"

Here I am enjoying their games and I look at some of these profiles that review bombed imperator rome and one guy bought every call of duty game.

Hm, 1 call of duty game every 1-2 years at full price...or...dlc that actually expands the game...

hmm...

what an easy choice.

This is an interesting way of viewing it as such. It seems very much intended to throw away arguments without actually looking at them.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 06:03:38 pm by ZebioLizard2 »

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 18, 2020, 06:21:42 pm »

I just hope that the base game has something to it unlike how Imperator ended up as.

hmm...

what an easy choice.

This is an interesting way of viewing it as such. It seems very much intended to throw away arguments without actually looking at them.

There is legitimate negative reviews. Like the mana points imperator had been complained a lot, and its vastly better they got rid of them. Its mostly the mass amount that review bomb games (and many are actual trolls that want free stuff), any game, not just paradox games, review bombers I don't even pay attention to. However, there is legitimate negative reviews that actually have good points and well thought out feedback. A game needs that negative feedback to improve. If there wasn't feedback on mana points for imperator rome, it would still have it. Negative feedback isn't paid attention to when its a review bomb to troll the game. And not just DLCs, when a game goes on sale people put a negative review because they paid more because they didn't buy it on sale.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 18, 2020, 06:28:24 pm »

hmm...

what an easy choice.

There is legitimate negative reviews. Like the mana points imperator had been complained a lot, and its vastly better they got rid of them. Its mostly the mass amount that review bomb games (and many are actual trolls that want free stuff), any game, not just paradox games, review bombers I don't even pay attention to. However, there is legitimate negative reviews that actually have good points and well thought out feedback. A game needs that negative feedback to improve. If there wasn't feedback on mana points for imperator rome, it would still have it. Negative feedback isn't paid attention to when its a review bomb to troll the game. And not just DLCs, when a game goes on sale people put a negative review because they paid more because they didn't buy it on sale.
That last one can be forgiven in some cases. Some games have had major sales up to 50% off two to three weeks after release which certainly makes feel patrons feel cheated that people are rewarded for waiting.  The thing is DLC schemes are very divisive especially that Paradox does. To paint most of them as just wanting free stuff (and trying some anecdote about Call of Duty.. Well people choose their style of preference of money making idea from companies) feels very superficial and just feels as if you are dismissing all their arguments as something without substance.

I get that some reviewbombing things have happened in the past, but these styles of reviews are one of the few ways consumers have of showing their displeasure with a company.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 06:31:08 pm by ZebioLizard2 »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 18, 2020, 07:37:04 pm »

Another tidbit they removed was being able to choose start dates. Unlike most people I actually used them to be in particular exact time periods that interested me from wiki or shows I used to watch.
It's a ton of work on their end compared to just having a certain number of bookmarks though, since they have to adjust all that for most major updates. I'm not a fan of cutting options, but sometimes the cost/benefit just doesn't justify something.

And what? Whether the practice is changed, it's still people's history.
This is true of literally everything in the game, though. Trying to call out this one thing on those grounds is disingenuous and overdramatic.
It's only true of most things in the very abstract sense, since most things show a reasonable attempt at accuracy, and when inaccurate, aren't specifically insulting or portrayed as if accurate. The only thing that can be considered a similar level of callous indifference is that the code contains a Hebrew name for God, meaning that observant Jews are forbidden from installing the game. But even that is simply careless, not malicious.

All I know is CK3 better not have the "mana" game mechanic system EU4 has.
It doesn't have that kind of mana. There are various pools of points, but not so universally overapplied as in EU4. It seems like prestige and piety are becoming more mana-like though, as they did over the course of CK2's lifespan.

Technology transfer was more fun in CK2 with either using your spy or councilors to gain tech. It made it so that you didn't have to pay attention to it like mad all the time.
Tech may be more like current CK2, where it's an active thing that you make decisions about. But it seems like it'll actually be more like CK1 and early CK2, where it progresses gradually, except with the key difference that tech is per culture instead of per province, and whoever's most influential lord of the culture gets to decide what the priority for speedier development is, so even more background than CK2, comparable to CK1. Mind, I'm less certain of this than of some things; unless I've missed a dev diary they've been relatively vague about it.
Developing your dynasty will be a bit more like tech, maybe. Tech is confirmed to unlock new unit types now, though.

This is basically just a terminology change, though. Troops in general are more varied. You've got men at arms of varied types, knights, and your peasant levies are more of an emergency backup. Which is by no means ahistorical, although Crusader Kings these days covers such a vast time and area that no single way can be said to be historical for the entire span.

(hideous though it may be)
With the exception of the terrain-oriented glamor shots that don't represent how you'll likely be playing the game and a few of the worst CK2 portrait packs, I find CK2 significantly more visually appealing than CK3 (or, for that matter, CK1).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 07:41:40 pm by Cruxador »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2020, 12:06:43 am »

Rome didn't get review bombed, it just bombed.

This is the only review the game needs.
Love, scriver~

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #118 on: September 01, 2020, 04:06:47 am »

ptw because it's out later today

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!