Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Resolved] Can dwarves go insane for no reason?  (Read 1451 times)

Miek

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Can dwarves go insane for no reason?
« on: November 10, 2019, 08:02:14 am »

Hi,

As I've described on Reddit while the forum was down (https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/dt6vsr/biweekly_df_questions_thread/f70d3m7?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x), I had a dwarf go insane (depression) on 0.44.12 (LNP) for no apparent reason. She had:

- No stress (litterally 0, until she got dehydrated from her depression);
- No significant bad memory;
- No significant weak personality trait;
- No failed strange mood.

I tried to fix her with DFHack but she remained depressed, and eventually died of dehydration. At least she died happy...

I'm pretty sure about the above, I checked thoroughly once DFHack let me know she was dehydrated, both ingame and in Dwarf Therapist. Couldn't find anything wrong. Then again, can't exactly be 100% sure.

So: Can dwarves go insane for no reason?

If not, I'll have to assume I missed something and be even more thorough if it happens again.

Thanks!

Edit: She did fail a strange mood..
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 01:27:01 pm by Miek »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can dwarves go insane for no reason?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 08:18:43 am »

Unless there's a bug I'm unaware of there should always be a reason for insanity. However, full insanity is always fatal (I guess it's possible to DFHack it away, but you'd have to remove the insanity itself [wherever that resides], not the causes, as it's too late for that).

Dorfs who have successfully had a strange mood are immune to full insanity, and so can remain on the brink to it indefinitely (with episodes of whatever symptoms that dorf has, such as stumbling obliviously or tantruming, etc.).

It may well be that DF changes things once the dorf goes insane. I think I've had trouble getting useful info from the DF unit screen while dorfs are temporarily insane.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 09:23:27 am »

DF might have changed game data for the dwarf when it applied the "go insane!" code to the dwarf, but something may have been posted to gamelog.txt. If you run a search on gamelog.txt for that dwarf's name and review the events, your answer may be there.

Note, due to the character font used in the gamelog.txt, I have found my searches need to specify a binary-based-search instead of text-based-search. You may to need to do the same thing or the search results may not display all the lines including that dwarf.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Miek

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 10:27:07 am »

Dorfs who have successfully had a strange mood are immune to full insanity, and so can remain on the brink to it indefinitely (with episodes of whatever symptoms that dorf has, such as stumbling obliviously or tantruming, etc.).

That's pretty neat, I didn't know that!

@anewaname: thanks, I'll check the gamelog as you suggested and report back.

Miek

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 01:26:20 pm »

Well I'm sorry, she did fail a strange mood. I failed to find it in the game's announcements (probably missed it) but:

Code: [Select]
grep -n Likotdakost gamelog.txt
...did the trick. Thanks all, I learned a few things.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: [Resolved] Can dwarves go insane for no reason?
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 10:30:35 pm »

I use "grep -a" for to force binary to be read as text. But yeah... strange moods.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?