Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New DF video series on Youtube  (Read 2249 times)

Virtones

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
New DF video series on Youtube
« on: November 10, 2019, 03:16:06 pm »

Hello my fellow dwarves! I come here to humbly ask for your opinion. I'm planning on making some DF video on youtube, inspired by our legendary Videosdwarf Kruggsmash. I do like to tell stories and draw, but I would start of with just video footage and storytelling. With that being said, my plan is on making some videos about challenges forts, or any kind of stuff that our community suggest. How would you like to see that, huh? Forts suggested by you to become alive as our legend grows. I would love to hear what you guys have to say. Thank you!

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New DF video series on Youtube
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 06:46:36 am »

My very first suggestion (as someone who has done a DF youtube series before) is to realise how big a time commitment it is :-)  Which is not to scare you away!  It's more to say that spending a lot of time planning up front will mean it takes even longer to get videos out.  I would just start with something fairly innocuous and go with the flow for the first series.  If you look at Kruggsmash's first series, Steelclutches, you can see that it took him a long time to find his stride.  In fact, IIRC, the first fortress fell almost instantly to the undead even!  He started off being pretty much the only Youtuber that edited his DF play heavily, but I think when he got the story about the goblin that died in the invasion he changed his style a lot.  Then we started to see stories about Ital, the god of balance, and finally the Bim Silversnarl adventure series.

In the same way, you should just start and do whatever fortress sounds interesting to you.  Or even do an uninteresting fortress and then find something interesting about it.  I think this will naturally lead you on to a good path that serves your style well and entertains the viewers the most.  If you start with trying to satisfy others, it's easy to chase after stuff that doesn't necessarily speak to you personally.

But if you are asking for what I would personally like to see as a challenge fortress: Satisfy as many dwarfs as you can with their favourite food.  I keep thinking about doing a series for that myself, but I have absolutely no time.  Probably boring to many, but I would watch :-)

TheEqualsE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 08:53:57 pm »

Here's my challenge for you.  I'd like to see a fort that got some candy metal and equipped their dwarves with it successfully.
Likes cats for their aloofness.

ShaveDaWookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 09:30:21 am »

I always love to see new DF content creater so i had a few ideas for ya

§  Cant go wrong with the classic terrifying/tundra start, i know its been done but i feel its a staple of any challenge playlist

§  The Last Alliance: Your goal is to take the circus, but you must maintain perfect racial ratios in your fort. if you have 20 dwarfs, you cant get more until all other recruit able
     races  are in your fort at equal levels. Once your ready, take the fight to Mordor! (i.e at 20 dwarfs you must also have 20 elfs, 20 humans, and 20 gobbos)

§  The Last of the Dwarfs: This one requires you to spawn a few worlds and check pops but its not unusual to have dwarfs die out if you up savagery and what not. Also im sure
    there are a ton of world paramas other people have posted.

§  A Dwarfs Revenge: This is one you can do when one of your forts is going to be destroyed by a mega or siege. Save game and make an adventurer at your fort. Run away as
    your last few fellow dwarfs die. We would then follow this characters journey to git gud and get revenge.

§  Land of Beasts: Crank those titans and other FUN bits of world gen waaaay up and start a civ in a world filled with monsters.

§  Dwarf STRONK: Your a primitive dwarf culture. You may only make things out of wood or stone, you have no ability to use metals. You may capture metal weapons and armor,
    but you cant smelt them or reforge them in any way. Exception is a pickax, as you must take to the circus to win.

§ The Great War: Find a world with a large gobbo and dwarf civ war. Check pop and find the largest gobbo dark fort. You win when you have cleared it out via raids and attacks.
   Try to find one with a stupid high population.

These are all just off the top of my head, ill try to think of more, good luck!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 03:02:26 am »

I really don't have the free time to do it...

otherwise I would be considering a "difficulty increased + resource constrained" playthrough, playing on my phone. (I recently set up ExaGear's windows emulator, and it can do the 32bit windows build of DF at reasonably playable speeds)

Virtones

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 07:01:54 pm »

Thanks everybody for the repplies! I really liked the one from @mikekchar. I was thinking something in a way that we could interact more with the viewers, in a way that for example, you guys have already a running fort, then somebody give me the save file, and maybe tell me something to do with it, like those TV shows that redecorate your house or something. That way I could interact with the viewers and try to give something they would like (or utterly fail you know... its dwarf fortress). I'm going try to make some time to make this work. I'm not an expert player, but I like to try new stuff.

I love the food challenge, that would do a nice Masterchef dwarf fortress. I might try something from myself to start things first, and then we could go on growing together. Also, I think it would be good if all those crazy ideas could be set in the same world, so we could interact with one or more if we wanted to.

*Offtopic* Does anybody knows a good program to record the videos for this?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 05:13:32 am »

I've been using OBS for my coding stream on twitch (UroUroNiwa if you are interested... slightly related to DF, but really only programmers will be interested I think).  Anyway OBS can record quite well.  Editing is a bit of a problem.  When I did my short lived Youtube series I eventually ended up using Blender just because it was the only thing that had a decent workflow.  The downside is that it has practically a vertical learning curve.  However, if you think of it as the DF of video editing... :-)

One other thing to think about is actually audio.  I found that my mic was absolutely terrible.  I eventually figured out some bizarre ways to  clean up the audio using Audacity, but I would recommend trying to avoid that.  OBS already has a noise reduction plugin which you should probably use (it's reasonably good).  You can also use the gain plugin to bring the levels back up, but unfortunately the noise reduction plugin introduces sound artefacts so it's pretty hard without a decent mic.  In the end I went out and got a half decent Sony mic (cost me about $50).  However, try whatever you have.  I did all 10 of my Youtube videos with crap audio and nobody ever complained (it's awful, though... ha ha).

Good luck!  When you have an episode out, please post here.  I'm looking forward to it!

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 10:20:04 am »

Here's my challenge for you.  I'd like to see a fort that got some candy metal and equipped their dwarves with it successfully.
That's not a challenge, that is just standard gameplay.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 11:50:26 pm »

Better challenge:

Successfully capture and utilize a webber clown to make a silk industry.

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 11:07:31 am »

Better challenge:

A forgotten beast silk industry!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2019, 11:12:04 am »

No no...

DEMON Silk. :P

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2019, 11:22:04 am »

No no...

DEMON Silk. :P
Why not both?! And then use !!science!! to see which one is the better silk.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2019, 11:47:33 am »

The latter was already done.  Value wise, they are both crappy, since they are equal to vermin type silks. (ordinary cave spider, et al).

Where they shine is that demon silk is always fireproof and cannot burn. FB silk only sometimes is fireproof.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2019, 09:58:54 am »

Better challenge:

Sounds like you'd first have to annihilate the clown car, then build some sort of filter to separate roaming clowns from roaming webber clowns. All in all, an insane megaproject that gives me headaches just thinking about it

My humble suggestion is a low-tech fort, one without mechanisms & only uses scavenged / obsidian / wood weapons. Those are always great, especially once friendly dialogue begins with goblinos

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2019, 03:02:10 pm »

I'd guess you're overthinking it, LW. Can just separate clown car into parts by using snaking ramp u/n bends and retracting bridges on ramp tops once they're nicely inside. Once ready, use smooth+carve while standing on ramp to convert one 3-tile pod into silk farm silk source cell, or digging on ramp to send the webber clowns into already setup farm.

Also if you annihilate the car the filter can be simply "occassionally kill all non-webber clowns who stand in front of artifact furniture", don't need to build webber/non-webber detection (though I guess that is not impossible).

(It'd be somewhat more complicated if parts of the car you needed decided to not roll upstairs, though.)