Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Edible Vegetation in Adventure Mode  (Read 11283 times)

Fi

• Bay Watcher
  • φ
    • View Profile
Edible Vegetation in Adventure Mode
« on: November 11, 2019, 01:47:48 am »

Gathering food has not been too much of an issue since lettuce leaves are all over the place where I started, but... the lettuce leaves themselves are starting to become a problem since my Elven Adventurer has been feeling grouchy about eating the same meals every day.

I tried picking other leaves—these leaves listed below...
  • Apricot Leaves
  • Artichoke Leaves
  • Asparagus Leaves
  • Bilberry Leaves
  • Hemp Leaves
  • Peach Leaves
  • Pecan Leaves
  • Purple Amaranth Leaves
  • Spelt Leaves
  • String Bean Leaves
  • Rhubarb Leaves
...but she prefers licking those leaves listed above over eating them, and she does not seem to be able to prepare and create salads under "X" either as she will only practice her threshing instead despite being an 'Adequate Thresher'.

Throughout my many fruitless searches for ways to obtain food—learned NPCs are okay with Adventurers looting goods that do not have a dollar sign by it which was serendipity, but I am far from modern civilization—as well as what vegetables are and are not edible, I finally found a thread that covers what vegetation is edible in Adventure Mode for each season; however, it lists leaves under early spring (it is currently the 16th of Granite in my world) that my Elven Adventurer preferred licking.

The thread was made in 2014, so I am not certain if what we are able to consume was changed up to this point in time. Does anyone here know what vegetables can be eaten in Adventure Mode and during what seasons for v0.44.12? I really do not know where else to find this information or... if my files are having some technical difficulties. :-\

(Update #1)

I will try to keep an updated list of vegetation that is edible or inedible in Adventure Mode provided by myself and everyone who has commented to share their knowledge:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Evergreen (17)

Spring (Empty)

Summer (Empty)

Autumn (Empty)

Winter (Empty)

Inedible (77)

(Update #2)

Does race and ethnics have to do with what Adventurers will and will not eat similarly to how it affects NPCs?

Someone from Dwarf Fortress's subreddit told me about how races and ethnics affect certain things in the game and how NPCs behave which reminded me with greater emphasis that Elves greatly respect nature. Does that mean Elves will refuse to eat some or most vegetation?

(Update #3)

Even though the topic had been a bit derailed after Page #3, please do feel free to share your findings regarding edible and inedible vegetation for the lists above. I would greatly appreciate it, so I can update the lists to help other Adventurers out. ❦

(E: Fixed the very first link. I guess we are not supposed to use quotation marks inside of the code for them.)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 10:15:42 pm by Fi »

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Edible Vegetation in Adventure Mode
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 05:40:15 am »

Why you not just add edible_raw to leaf template? But this need regenerate world.

Fi

• Bay Watcher
  • φ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 10:43:46 am »

Why you not just add edible_raw to leaf template? But this need regenerate world.

There are quite a few reasons to why I did not do that:
  • I did not know that was possible.
  • Even if I knew, how would I know that they were not edible by default upon my first session in Adventure Mode?
  • I saw no harm in asking the community within the forums for a list of edible vegetation. This would have helped me figure out if this is normal or a bug.
  • I do not want to abandon my Adventurer, and my progress, my current world to generate a new world with edible leaves—if they were made to not be edible within this version of Dwarf Fortress by default.
  • I thought that perhaps an updated list of edible vegetation for v0.44.12 within the present year of 2019 would help not only myself but everyone else—veterans and new players like myself—who may be curious as well.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 12:50:02 pm »

One of my adventurers lived on melons he found for a few weeks.  But that might have been in a rainforest.   :-\
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Fi

• Bay Watcher
  • φ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 01:17:40 pm »

One of my adventurers lived on melons he found for a few weeks.  But that might have been in a rainforest.   :-\

Wow, very fortunate spot, one of those should handle a Adventurer for at least a week—if they do not consume the entire thing in one sitting. Hmm, my Elven Adventurer started in a "Lush Forest", and it seems peach trees are the most common delicacies in her surroundings that have not grown peaches, yet.

Is your Adventurer able to eat Watermelon Leaves and any of the leaves I listed above?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 04:15:00 pm »

Wow, very fortunate spot, one of those should handle a Adventurer for at least a week—if they do not consume the entire thing in one sitting. Hmm, my Elven Adventurer started in a "Lush Forest", and it seems peach trees are the most common delicacies in her surroundings that have not grown peaches, yet.

Is your Adventurer able to eat Watermelon Leaves and any of the leaves I listed above?

No.  I never tried eating any of the leaves.  My Dwarf adventurers normally just grab fruit and, when near a coast, go hunt for crab meat.

Fi

• Bay Watcher
  • φ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 05:11:31 pm »

No.  I never tried eating any of the leaves.  My Dwarf adventurers normally just grab fruit and, when near a coast, go hunt for crab meat.

Huh, I see. I will have to make sure to start near a coast next time. What season—or month—was it when you found the watermelons for the first time?

(E: Added what is in italics.)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 06:37:03 pm »

Huh, I see. I will have to make sure to start near a coast next time. What season—or month—was it when you found the watermelons for the first time?

(E: Added what is in italics.)

I would say late spring to early summer?  There seems to be more than one type and I think most of them grow all year round.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 06:39:19 pm »

Remember the leaves of some of these otherwise yummy fruits/vegetables are poisonous in real life (like rhubarb). So, yes, I agreee it should be addressed with some more thought as to what should be edible and what shouldn't. And by whom. Should an animal person be able to eat stuff its animal form can eat, or would it's human stomach be an issue?

Ignore people who tell you to mod in suggestions. The fact that many people mod them in is actually a better reason to make a suggestion for it to be standard behaviour in the game.

Fi

• Bay Watcher
  • φ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 09:24:37 pm »

If I viewed the correct file for Adventure Mode, it seems as though my raws for each leaf my Elven Adventurer tried to consume already possess the keywords [EDIBLE_RAW] under each of them.

This is what was in my 'plant_crops.txt' for the Purple Amaranth:

Remember the leaves of some of these otherwise yummy fruits/vegetables are poisonous in real life (like rhubarb). So, yes, I agreee it should be addressed with some more thought as to what should be edible and what shouldn't. And by whom. Should an animal person be able to eat stuff its animal form can eat, or would it's human stomach be an issue?

Ignore people who tell you to mod in suggestions. The fact that many people mod them in is actually a better reason to make a suggestion for it to be standard behaviour in the game.

Oh wow, really? I never knew rhubarb leaves are actually poisonous. TIL.

You made me very thankful for my Adventurer's inability to eat the rhubarb leaf when I made her try it even though... I think licking it may be just as bad. I am really hoping more people come by to share what they know about the vegetation in Adventure Mode, and you are right, if we have to mod quality of life features into a game, they most certainly should be standard if they are not "game-breaking".

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 12:32:05 am »

I gather no one's compiled a list because most characters tend to be omnivores. They either hunt or they eat what's in bags located in civ sites.

It's also easier to use DF wiki: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Watermelon — all vegetation can be referenced there.

You could compile a list by combing through the 5 possible categories in the raws...
…looking for EDIBLE_RAW token, then sifting based on time of year/biome. But that requires learning to sort through the raws.

Fi

• Bay Watcher
  • φ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 11:26:34 am »

I gather no one's compiled a list because most characters tend to be omnivores. They either hunt or they eat what's in bags located in civ sites.

You could compile a list by combing through the 5 possible categories in the raws...
…looking for EDIBLE_RAW token, then sifting based on time of year/biome. But that requires learning to sort through the raws.

Yes, that is how I grabbed Purple Amaranth raw for this comment; I decided not to use my raws since I mentioned in the thread that my Elven Adventurer refuses to eat the leaves I listed above despite those leaves having [EDIBLE_RAW] under them. I have yet to find any new vegetation to test if she will refuse them as well, so I have to wander about until they are in season or in my newfound area.

No one has commented stating that their Elven Adventurer is able to eat the leaves mine refused to eat in v0.44.12, so I don't really trust my own raws—or whichever one of my files might be causing this issue for me—right now to use them as indicators of what is and is not edible.

It's also easier to use DF wiki: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Watermelon — all vegetation can be referenced there.

I can probably trust this for the whole fruits and vegetables like the watermelon despite not testing them, but this does not help with the issue I am facing with the leaves which is why I am here questioning what is and is not edible based on another post from 2014 stating the same leaves I could not eat are actually edible.

Within Dwarf Fortress's subreddit, someone mentioned ethnics, and it makes me wonder if race and ethnics has to do with what each race will and will not eat.

(E: Added a link to a comment, aaand fixed the the same link.)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 10:17:54 pm by Fi »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 03:43:34 pm »

Ethics are supposed to define some things which characters can/can't eat (like sapient beings). However it's broken right now and regardless of ethics you can't eat your friends and enemies.

Very interesting if edible_raw is broken in the same way. Maybe test a vanilla adventurer and see what happens.

I note that there was a bug in which edible_raw seeds were not edible in Adventurer, it was fixed, but I wonder if it got broken again, or if leaves were just overlooked.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7911

Fi

• Bay Watcher
  • φ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 08:09:43 pm »

Ethics are supposed to define some things which characters can/can't eat (like sapient beings). However it's broken right now and regardless of ethics you can't eat your friends and enemies.

Very interesting if edible_raw is broken in the same way. Maybe test a vanilla adventurer and see what happens.

I note that there was a bug in which edible_raw seeds were not edible in Adventurer, it was fixed, but I wonder if it got broken again, or if leaves were just overlooked.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7911

I will give a vanilla Adventurer and world a shot then report back with some news.

Excellent news—well, probably just for me since this is most likely common knowledge to everyone else, I learned that I can create more than one world. Since Adventure Mode would only let me have one Adventurer at a time, I assumed world creation was the same way until both are retired or the latter is killed.

I am really hoping this is normal game behavior through ethnics or random leaves simply being inedible since I would really hate to start over again to fix yet another thing, but I will if I must. If it is a bug, well, I suppose most of us will have to deal with it or start over whenever it is fixed. Being unable to eat our enemies based on Elven ethnics really sucks, though! I thought that was a really chilling and interesting that cannibalism—if it can be called that in Dwarf Fortress—is practiced by the Elves.

(Update #1)

I created a pocket world to explore which had a large variety of leaves all over the place, and these are the leaves I found and tried as a Human Adventurer:
  • Bambara Groundnut Leaf
  • Barley Leaf
  • Bitter Melon Leaf [EDIBLE]
  • Bitter Orange Leaf
  • Caper Leaf [EDIBLE]
  • Cassava Leaf
  • Chickpea Leaf
  • Cotton Leaf
  • Cowpea Leaf
  • Cucumber Leaf
  • Durian Leaf
  • Eggplant Leaf
  • Elephant-Head Amaranth Leaf [EDIBLE]
  • Flax Leaf
  • Guava Leaf
  • Hard Wheat Leaf
  • Horned Melon Leaf
  • Kenaf Leaf
  • Lentil Leaf
  • Lesser Yam Leaf
  • Maize Leaf
  • Mung Bean Leaf
  • Muskmelon Leaf
  • Passion Fruit Leaf
  • Pearl Millet Leaf
  • Pendant Amaranth Leaf
  • Pepper Leaf
  • Pineapple Leaf
  • Pomegranate Leaf
  • Pomelo Leaf
  • Potato Leaf
  • Purple Yam Leaf
  • Ramie Leaf
  • Red Spinach Leaf [EDIBLE]
  • Rice Leaf
  • Round Lime Leaf
  • Rye Leaf
  • Sorghum Leaf
  • Squash Leaf
  • Sweet Potato Leaf
  • Taro Leaf
  • Teff Leaf
  • Tomatillo Leaf
  • Urad Bean Leaf
  • Watermelon Leaf
  • White Yam Leaf

I have yet to stumble upon any fruits or whole vegetables which may have to do with the world starting off in early spring.

(E: Slight shuffle to the list above.)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 09:16:14 pm by Fi »

TeaAndRum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2019, 03:09:01 am »

Leeks are available year-round, right?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5