Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Edible Vegetation in Adventure Mode  (Read 11070 times)

Fi

• Bay Watcher
  • φ
    • View Profile
Re: Edible Vegetation in Adventure Mode
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2019, 06:58:16 pm »

Leeks are available year-round, right?

I have yet to find a leek, but I can add it to the "Evergreen" list if they are confirmed to be edible in Adventure Mode.

TeaAndRum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2019, 07:21:24 pm »

Leeks are available year-round, right?

I have yet to find a leek, but I can add it to the "Evergreen" list if they are confirmed to be edible in Adventure Mode.
I think they are, but I can't confirm that, since I'm playing Fort Mode right now. Maybe if you find one, and check if they're indeed edible?

Fi

• Bay Watcher
  • φ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2019, 08:52:31 pm »

I think they are, but I can't confirm that, since I'm playing Fort Mode right now. Maybe if you find one, and check if they're indeed edible?

If I stumble across one while I am checking other vegetables, sure.

Do you know of any other vegetables you have actually confirmed to be edible in Adventure Mode when you last played it?

TeaAndRum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2019, 10:02:47 pm »

Do you know of any other vegetables you have actually confirmed to be edible in Adventure Mode when you last played it?
Hmm, I have mostly focused on hunting for food, but spinach is one that I'm sure of. And bloated tuber. And the obvious ones, such as strawberry/blueberry/bilberry, and apricots, plums. And I could've sworn there is an edible flower, but I can't recall its name!

Fi

• Bay Watcher
  • φ
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2019, 01:12:19 am »

Hmm, I have mostly focused on hunting for food, but spinach is one that I'm sure of. And bloated tuber. And the obvious ones, such as strawberry/blueberry/bilberry, and apricots, plums. And I could've sworn there is an edible flower, but I can't recall its name!

I will add them to the list. :)

Huh, so bilberries themselves are edible but not its leaves. I suppose that makes sense since we cannot eat rhubarb leaves nor do we eat the leaves of... strawberries, but I wonder if some of those fruits and veggies' leaves are actually edible in reality despite us picking them off and tossing them away before we eat the fruits and veggies themselves.

Oh, and is this just regular spinach or one of the colored ones? (I added it as regular spinach just in case.)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 02:04:45 am by Fi »

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2019, 01:19:04 am »

I decided to gen a world and an elf adventurer to search for a purple amaranth and its supposedly edible leaves. Unfortunately, I forgot to turn off bogeymen. I didn't find any new edible plants for your list before my head was kicked in. I did find three inedible ones, though. I may pick up the quest again later.
Code: [Select]
You lick the tomato leaf.
You lick the buckwheat leaf.
You lick the peanut leaf.

Fi

• Bay Watcher
  • φ
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2019, 02:16:24 am »

I decided to gen a world and an elf adventurer to search for a purple amaranth and its supposedly edible leaves. Unfortunately, I forgot to turn off bogeymen. I didn't find any new edible plants for your list before my head was kicked in. I did find three inedible ones, though. I may pick up the quest again later.

Added them to the list, and thanks a ton for helping out. ❦

I have been seeing some bad things in these forums about Boogeymen being a nuisance rather than an immersive experience which made me somewhat regret not disabling them before generating my current world, but I think I may be okay since I have two companions tagging along with me on my adventure.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2019, 04:12:07 am »

Added them to the list, and thanks a ton for helping out. ❦

I have been seeing some bad things in these forums about Boogeymen being a nuisance rather than an immersive experience which made me somewhat regret not disabling them before generating my current world, but I think I may be okay since I have two companions tagging along with me on my adventure.
Bogeymen have been nerfed for the next version by being banished to evil and new "nightmare demon" biomes (but have been given new powers, so be careful). As Toady says, it "puts an end to that little years-long experiment in annoying people."
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 04:14:10 am by Shonai_Dweller »

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2019, 07:49:38 am »

I have been seeing some bad things in these forums about Boogeymen being a nuisance rather than an immersive experience which made me somewhat regret not disabling them

They can be deadly even if you aren't dawdling about as an oblivious peasant elf with a wooden spear and no shield or armor. This time I countered them with a drunk so all's good, although the purple amaranths remain elusive. If I wasn't specifically seeking them I'd probably trip over them constantly. From this short play it's becoming clear that a phyllophagous adventurer will have a harder time with meal variance.

Spoiler: additional leaf data (click to show/hide)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2019, 12:46:21 pm »

If I viewed the correct file for Adventure Mode, it seems as though my raws for each leaf my Elven Adventurer tried to consume already possess the keywords [EDIBLE_RAW] under each of them.

This is what was in my 'plant_crops.txt' for the Purple Amaranth:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Remember the leaves of some of these otherwise yummy fruits/vegetables are poisonous in real life (like rhubarb). So, yes, I agreee it should be addressed with some more thought as to what should be edible and what shouldn't. And by whom. Should an animal person be able to eat stuff its animal form can eat, or would it's human stomach be an issue?

Ignore people who tell you to mod in suggestions. The fact that many people mod them in is actually a better reason to make a suggestion for it to be standard behaviour in the game.

Oh wow, really? I never knew rhubarb leaves are actually poisonous. TIL.

You made me very thankful for my Adventurer's inability to eat the rhubarb leaf when I made her try it even though... I think licking it may be just as bad. I am really hoping more people come by to share what they know about the vegetation in Adventure Mode, and you are right, if we have to mod quality of life features into a game, they most certainly should be standard if they are not "game-breaking".

I never thought to compile a list but i do like wandering around in adventure mode picking fruit and leaves and such and trying them. I play more as a hunter-gatherer i wander around picking what I can, killing things and eating them.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2019, 12:47:15 pm »

Leeks are defintely edible
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Fi

• Bay Watcher
  • φ
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2019, 01:34:07 pm »

Bogeymen have been nerfed for the next version by being banished to evil and new "nightmare demon" biomes (but have been given new powers, so be careful). As Toady says, it "puts an end to that little years-long experiment in annoying people."

Ah, what convenient timing for them to get banished around the time I started playing Dwarf Fortress. ❦

Although, I will miss out on the annoyance all of you have went through unless there is a reason to play older versions of Dwarf Fortress. Their buffs seem fair given that they will be restricted to a specific evil biome as they will need something to make Adventurers' lives even more of a living hell when they do find them again.

They can be deadly even if you aren't dawdling about as an oblivious peasant elf with a wooden spear and no shield or armor. This time I countered them with a drunk so all's good, although the purple amaranths remain elusive. If I wasn't specifically seeking them I'd probably trip over them constantly. From this short play it's becoming clear that a phyllophagous adventurer will have a harder time with meal variance.

Spoiler: additional leaf data (click to show/hide)

Thank you. Added them to the list. ❦

Really? I heard that they can spawn upon a sleeping Adventurer even while accompanied by Companions because the latter will wander about despite being told to wait. Now I am very thankful they are getting banished to a specific evil biome with some buffs to compensate because I am way too much of a novice to know how to handle being surrounded. (I probably picked a very poor weapon choice as well—Archery.)

I am actually surprised we cannot eat cabbage! Someone must have really hated their veggies as a kid. So far, this seems intentional for Adventure Mode—which makes me very happy about my raws not being defective—because there are so few veggies we can eat that does make a commitment to a phyllophagous diet difficult like you said, and I assume it is this way to ensure we are cannot easily satiate ourselves to keep us on the hunt for sustenance. If only we could find some actual fruits and whole vegetables during early spring!

I never thought to compile a list but i do like wandering around in adventure mode picking fruit and leaves and such and trying them. I play more as a hunter-gatherer i wander around picking what I can, killing things and eating them.

Yeah, hunting is probably what I am going to have to do to keep my Adventurer fed since she started in an area with very few edible leaves and non-existent fruits and whole vegetables—at least for the current season.

However, I am a little concerned about hunting since... it seems difficult to kill things in Dwarf Fortress given the fact that we can make precision-based attacks on parts of their bodies. It makes me wonder if I made a mistake in starting off with an Archer's build.

Leeks are defintely edible

Lovely. ❦

I will add them to the list as well if so.

(E: Buffed out a few typos.)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 01:41:48 pm by Fi »

TeaAndRum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2019, 03:31:28 pm »

I will add them to the list. :)

Huh, so bilberries themselves are edible but not its leaves. I suppose that makes sense since we cannot eat rhubarb leaves nor do we eat the leaves of... strawberries, but I wonder if some of those fruits and veggies' leaves are actually edible in reality despite us picking them off and tossing them away before we eat the fruits and veggies themselves.

Oh, and is this just regular spinach or one of the colored ones? (I added it as regular spinach just in case.)
It is safe to make tea out of strawberry leaves (and to eat, but they don't taste that good), so they should be edible in DF, but aren't.
Sorry I forgot to add, I meant regular spinach!

Fi

• Bay Watcher
  • φ
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2019, 05:37:22 pm »

It is safe to make tea out of strawberry leaves (and to eat, but they don't taste that good), so they should be edible in DF, but aren't.

Ohh, then are Dwarves in Fortress Mode able to make tea out of strawberry leaves? If not, I think that should be suggested. I love how there is knowledge of real life recipes, alongside the toxicity of certain leaves from edible fruits and vegetables, to learn from all of this. If we are able to eat bitter melon leaves, I think we should be able to consume strawberry leaves—at least in Fortress Mode.

Also, I managed to find a tree with an overabundance of almonds, apricots, and walnuts! I can confirm that apricots are indeed edible.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2019, 06:06:31 pm »

Ohh, then are Dwarves in Fortress Mode able to make tea out of strawberry leaves? If not, I think that should be suggested. I love how there is knowledge of real life recipes, alongside the toxicity of certain leaves from edible fruits and vegetables, to learn from all of this.
Many people think alike:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=171498.msg7814163#msg7814163
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5