Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boats with sample raws  (Read 1882 times)

TheRedwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pagan Desert Bitch (she/they)
    • View Profile
Boats with sample raws
« on: May 16, 2019, 06:26:30 pm »

This suggestion is about boats. I know what you are thinking, "This has been suggested literally to DEATH!" And you are right, but I have something that most suggestions don't have: Details. I have painstakingly crafted these raws for giving not just a suggestion, but some applications for them and explanations of what everything does, as well as some mod applications.
boat_standard
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

item_boatparts
additions to the entity file

enjoy. I tried to solve most common problems with boats, but I don't know how well I did
EDIT: the boats look better in the text files.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 06:30:19 pm by TheRedwolf »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Boats with sample raws
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 06:33:11 pm »

Just for reference, not that there's anything wrong with your suggestion, but boats will be part of the "Moving Fortress Parts" rewrite (post-Mythgen, post-Starting Scenarios). Boats are basically moving pieces of map.

Three rewrites from now, we'll be in a completely different game so it's hard to know how relevant your raws will be.

Here's an interview with Toady (doesn't cover that exact point, that was someplace else, but lays out a few plans).
https://www.pcgamer.com/why-the-creator-of-dwarf-fortress-is-really-excited-about-boats/

TheRedwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 06:40:07 pm »

The point was to have boats be more like customizable moddable wagons then moving pieces of map.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 02:18:57 pm »

Congrats with the efforts.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

TheRedwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 01:36:58 pm »

Push. I worked hard on this Damn it

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 05:52:55 am »

The point was to have boats be more like customizable moddable wagons then moving pieces of map.

That was not the plan, the plan was to have boats be moving pieces of map and wagons too quite likely.  At the moment wagons are considered creatures, weird hardcoded creatures.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 07:41:47 am »

That was not the plan, the plan was to have boats be moving pieces of map and wagons too quite likely.  At the moment wagons are considered creatures, weird hardcoded creatures.
This was the plan of the suggestion.
Toady's plans remain the same as far as we know, unless this suggestion changes his mind for whatever reason.

TheRedwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 11:35:45 am »

Fair enough

Tentacle Demon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 04:18:26 pm »

I think, boats will be better as equipment creatures like wagons. Aquatic type of wagons.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 05:57:26 pm »

I think, boats will be better as equipment creatures like wagons. Aquatic type of wagons.
Yes. But Toady doesn't. Which is all that really matters.
https://www.pcgamer.com/why-the-creator-of-dwarf-fortress-is-really-excited-about-boats/

(Explanation about how it fits with moving fortress parts isn't in that interview though. Will see if I can dig it up from wherever he mentioned it).

-- Ah, it's in a video. That semi-Dftalk he did at the 10th anniversary party. Should be a link around somewhere.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 06:07:24 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 06:09:39 pm »

Well, as far as wagons go they are a left-over from a very early attempt at multi-tile creatures. They are buggy in all sorts of ways, and don't really support any other shapes than the tiny squares they already are. Wagons are more likely to end up as terrestrial boats, whenever the boats/moving map parts arc comes around.

It is quite a long wait (likely 5+ years), but I find it unlikely boats will be added in any provisional way before that, considering even wagon-boats would need a few hitherto unimplemented systems to works, such as creatures floating, ride-able equipment-creatures, and world-map water travel. The time needed for that can rather be used for finishing those arcs meant to come before the boat arc.