Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: DF Overhaul - Insects  (Read 16517 times)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF Overhaul - Insects
« on: November 11, 2019, 07:28:56 pm »

I am thinking about creating an overhaul mod that changes the game setting to a world of anthropomorphic insects. It would basically change trees into weeds, grass into moss, tigers into spiders, dwarves into anthropomorphic ants, etc. Has anyone done something similiar in the past? I would be replacing everything in the game with insect sized creatures/plants including the stones/minerals/etc. Any thoughts on this? Any ideas?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: DF Overhaul - Insects
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 08:22:54 pm »

That sounds great! I've wanted a mod like this for a while. I'd suggest making a replacement for chitin. The vanilla version is really fragile.

Would moths be shearable?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

LargeSnail

• Bay Watcher
  • Sluggish Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 08:59:42 pm »

Why would you make them anthropomorphic? Playing as an sentient spider or beetle would be awesome. They could be able to carry items using their mandibles.

You'll need to adapt the size of various objects to the perspective of an insect (maybe bigger ore veins or larger biomes).

Ideas for races:
  • Ants: Underground-dwelling insects with different castes and ruled by a giant queen.
  • Bees: Flying insects that can cast free honey and wax, and lives in tall grass retreats.
  • Phantom Spiders: Large, evil translucent arachnids that lives in dark holes.
  • Mantises: Tall green insects with long, strong forelimbs that allows them to carry both shields and weapons.

Maybe you could add a Pixie civ, since they're extremely small vermin in vanilla.

Vermin can be microbes or extremely small animals like Tardigrades.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 12:50:08 am »

Why would you make them anthropomorphic? Playing as an sentient spider or beetle would be awesome. They could be able to carry items using their mandibles.

You'll need to adapt the size of various objects to the perspective of an insect (maybe bigger ore veins or larger biomes).

Ideas for races:
  • Ants: Underground-dwelling insects with different castes and ruled by a giant queen.
  • Bees: Flying insects that can cast free honey and wax, and lives in tall grass retreats.
  • Mantises: Tall green insects with long, strong forelimbs that allows them to carry both shields and weapons.

Maybe you could add a Pixie civ, since they're extremely small vermin in vanilla.

Not to derail the read, but anthropomorphism can either be the adoption of human physical traits or the adoption of human psychological traits (although the word itself is derived from human form). Now I'm unsure which type of anthropomorphism that brolol was thinking, but you could definitely consider sentient spiders or beetles to be a form of it.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 07:20:28 am »

Cool ideas guys! :)

That sounds great! I've wanted a mod like this for a while. I'd suggest making a replacement for chitin. The vanilla version is really fragile.

Would moths be shearable?
I will remake chitin and add shearable moths. Although I don't think moths live longer than a year or so.

Ideas for races:

I was concerned with the game limitations if not making them anthropomorphic (in the physical sense), but thinking about it more, I may be able to get around it (or more likely just accept those issues/limitations lol).

I was thinking of making an "ant" 100,000 and just scaling everything around that. I think most stone and gems would be removed and replaced with mud, sand, etc "stone" types and make actual stone unmineable. I think the biomes will be more comparable to a small ecosystem. So a "broadleaf forest" would be a patch of weeds, an ocean would be a puddle/pond, a swamp would be a low area holding water etc. So a continent would be like a quarter acre of land with the different variations of plants that can survive there. And the bottom of the underworld would be some 50ft down from the surface.

Cool ideas :) I will definitely add ants, bees and some form of spider as the playable races. I am not sure on mantis yet.

I can possibly add some mythological creatures like pixies to good biomes.

I was thinking of nematodes and some flat worms, round worms for vermin too.

I was also thinking of making some fungi and worm parasite curses that cause the infected to go crazy and possibly kill others or themselves.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 07:53:40 am »

If there's going to be an ant civilization we just gotta have the Lomechusa ;D

To become integrated into an ant society, myrmecophilous parasites must overcome both the defenses and the communication system of their hosts. Some aleocharine staphylinid beetles employ chemical and tactile strategies to invade colonies, where they later consume ant brood and participate in parasitic trophallaxis with host ants. By producing compounds that both appease their hosts and stimulate adoption, the beetles are able to live in and deposit their own eggs in the well defended ant nest...

The ant colony and its immediate environment can be thought of as an ecological island, partitioned into many microhabitats that symbiotic organisms attempt to colonize. Indeed, the ant colony and its surroundings are richly structured into many microhabitats such as foraging trunk routes, refuse areas, peripheral nest chambers, storage chambers, and brood chambers. These microhabitats are often occupied by a diversity of symbionts which exhibit special adaptations to each of the niches in turn. Particularly, the brood chambers constitute an optimal niche within an ant nest for a social food-flow parasite, because there the food of highest quality is concentrated to be fed to the developing larvae, callow workers and queens. Moreover, the immature larvae in the brood chamber provide the most reliable prey for specialized myrmecophilous predators.

Nevertheless, in order to penetrate the brood chambers, which are defended by the ants, the myrmecophilous predator needs very special adaptations. This has been accomplished by some of the most evolutionarily advanced myrmecophilous staphylinids, of which the aleocharine beetle genera Lomechusoides and Lomechusa are premier examples.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 07:57:53 am by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 10:19:27 am »

If there's going to be an ant civilization we just gotta have the Lomechusa ;D
I dont want to add any scientific names, but I'll add rove beetles :)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 10:25:45 am »

Here is a potential line up of creatures. I am not sure which would be intelligent though. I would prefer them all to be, but that might get in the way of animal/pet/livestock mechanics.

black ant   (playable)
fire ant   
carpenter ant   
bullet ant   
pharoah ant   
leafcutter ant   
army ant   
honey bee   (playable)
bumble bee   
leafcutter bee   
carpenter bee   
mason bee   
mining bee   
wasp   
paper wasp   
yellow jacket   
hornet   
mud dauber   
wolf spider   (playable)
tarantula    
jumping spider   
brown recluse   
black widow   
brown widow   
daddy long-legs   
huntsman spider   
orb-weaver spider   
funnel-web spider   
hobo spider   
trapdoor spider   
staghorn beetle   
rhinoceros beetle   
hercules beetle   
longhorn beetle   
ground beetle   
leaf beetle   
bark beetle   
rove beetle   
weevil   
scarab   
ladybug   
dung beetle   
carpet beetle   
fire fly   
darkling beetle   
click beetle   
assassin bug   
brown cockroach   
hissing cockroach   
bed bug   
dry wood termite   
damp wood termite   
cone head termite   
silverfish   
earwig   
deer tick   
dog tick   
wood tick   
mite   
flea   
louse   
brown cricket   
grasshopper    
katydid    
locust   
mantis   
stick bug   
silk worm moth   
luna moth   
gypsy moth   
atlas moth   
codling moth   
peppered moth   
hawk moth   
hummingbird moth   
monarch butterfly    
tiger butterfly   
swallowtail butterfly    
black fly   
hover fly   
saw fly   
horse fly   
fruit fly   
blow fly   
mosquito    
crane fly   
bot fly   
dragonfly   
thrip   
aphid   
earth worm   
leech   
nematode   
flat worm   
fluke   
hook worm   
ribbon worm   
arrow worm   
millipede    
stone centipede   
bark centipede   
pillbug   
bark scorpion   
emperor scorpion   
deathstalker scorpion   
whip scorpion   
hairy scorpion   
snail   
black slug   
leopard slug   
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 11:05:18 am by brolol.404 »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 11:13:39 am »

If it were me, I'd make all the non-civilized bugs non-sentient, if only to avoid all the little annoyances that sentient pets bring in. For example, your ants will likely consider cleaning up the corpses of hostile sentient predators to be incredibly stressful. You also couldn't butcher and eat them.

That reminds me, it might be good to have (relatively) giant mice as [COMMON_DOMESTIC] farm animals. If strange mood materials are hard coded, the mice could provide leather and bones without having to rely on chance.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 11:15:58 am »

This is an idea I've seen proposed a few times, but I don't think anyone has actually went through with it. I would love to see it being done, though. Here come some random ideas:

What about "giant" mushroom trees in some (forest) biomes, in addition to the grass trees? A really large tree, the ant equivalent of the savage highwood, or even larger, could be the fern.

Conifer trees are too large to model, but perhaps one biome could have their needles growing from the ground as crops. Hand-waved as them dropping from invisible trees, of course. I imagine it would be the biome for players who want to build ant-hills, as the needles would be cheap building blocks, even compared to cutting down grass straws.

Mountains could be big rocks, if mineral-generation allows for such leeway, having the mountains be of minerals that are barely used elsewhere. Otherwise they could be mounds of dirt or small hills.

Oh, and milkable aphids as ant pets should be a given, considering that relationship actually does exist IRL. Ants could farm... mold maybe? I believe I've seen some documentary that included mold-farming ants. Dunno whether most ants do that though. The ants could lack farming for extra challenge. I don't know if it's possible to turn of farming, but considering this is a total overhaul all plants could lack farm-ability.

I really like LargeSnail's idea of vermin to ants, it really gives you a sense of scale that there are creatures tiny even for ants. If you go in the opposite direction, what could be the Mega-beasts? A difficult question, as many creatures big enough to regularly eat ants are way way too large for an ant population of at most a few hundred to defeat. Skinks would work, while anteaters and boars would break the size-limit of DF by far.

Mid-writing-edit: I saw the creature line-up. Some comments on it:
  • Is a daddy long-legs a cellar spider, a harvestman or a crane fly? The name is used for all three depending on region, but I suppose it is one of the former two as you put it with the spiders.
  • Beetles are good. Vanilla DF just has one single beetle species, which is too few. Beetles have noticeable grubs, should these be counted as separate creatures? Come to think of it, ant babies should probably be larvae as well...  FirePhoenix might have a solution to this, considering they made the Dwarvemon Pokémod. Maybe IndigoFenix as well, IIRC the piranha plants have multiple stages to them.
  • Mites are really tiny. The ticks (!) are the largest ones, and even they are barely visible before they bloat up with blood. I propose that mites be vermin.
  • Grasshoppers, locusts and the like are huge relative to the ants, and thus would give lots of meat when butchered. They are incredibly speedy though, and have flight, so hunting one down wouldn't be easy. They could be given a high value materials as an incentive for the player to try that challenge.
  • Butterflies need flowers, as do the bees, so there should be some kind of flower trees, or at least decently large flowers. Butterflies could be set with SPECIFIC_FOOD to only appear in flowery areas, though considering a game world will be considered tiny enough for a butterfly to easily cross this might not be a problem.
  • Slugs/Snails seem like slow, steady sources of food. A beginner's blessing. Snails might retract into their shells, though, at which point getting that snail-meat out would be tricky. I dunno if carnivorous snails/slugs ever eat ants, in which case they could be a moderate threat.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 11:33:43 am »

It's actually possible to somewhat bypass the size limit by setting a creature's size to 1 and then multiplying by a couple million. The Godzilla megabeast I made once uses this method. That Godzilla is just about on the "new" limit, but you could get a bit larger.

I also wanted to suggest the trilobite beetle. It's famous for its extreme sexual dimorphism. The females are giant grubs for their entire lives, while the males are relatively tiny beetles.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 11:38:03 am by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 12:39:24 pm »

If it were me, I'd make all the non-civilized bugs non-sentient, if only to avoid all the little annoyances that sentient pets bring in. For example, your ants will likely consider cleaning up the corpses of hostile sentient predators to be incredibly stressful. You also couldn't butcher and eat them.

Good point. Maybe I will just add [CAN_SPEAK] to all of the non-civilized bugs.

That reminds me, it might be good to have (relatively) giant mice as [COMMON_DOMESTIC] farm animals. If strange mood materials are hard coded, the mice could provide leather and bones without having to rely on chance.

Interesting. I may have to just remove strange moods. I could add shrew moles as farm animals, but even those creatures live on a diet of bugs and would be a terrifying creature to encounter.

What about "giant" mushroom trees in some (forest) biomes, in addition to the grass trees? A really large tree, the ant equivalent of the savage highwood, or even larger, could be the fern.

I'll add some mushrooms as trees. I could potentially add ferns, but I will have to see if I can construct the branches/leaves into a fern shape. I will also add weeds as trees such as dandelions, thistle, penny wort, chickweed, etc.

Conifer trees are too large to model, but perhaps one biome could have their needles growing from the ground as crops. Hand-waved as them dropping from invisible trees, of course. I imagine it would be the biome for players who want to build ant-hills, as the needles would be cheap building blocks, even compared to cutting down grass straws.

Mountains could be big rocks, if mineral-generation allows for such leeway, having the mountains be of minerals that are barely used elsewhere. Otherwise they could be mounds of dirt or small hills.

I think I will make mud, sand, clay, loam, peat, chalk and silt "stone" so all dirt can be made into anthills/building blocks. I think I will make stones like shale, granite and limestone unable to be mined (like slate is in vanilla).

I can mess with pine needles and see if I can include some version.

Oh, and milkable aphids as ant pets should be a given, considering that relationship actually does exist IRL. Ants could farm... mold maybe? I believe I've seen some documentary that included mold-farming ants. Dunno whether most ants do that though. The ants could lack farming for extra challenge. I don't know if it's possible to turn of farming, but considering this is a total overhaul all plants could lack farm-ability.

I will add milkable aphids as pets. I am not sure about farming. I could just remove it. It would require the player to interact with the environment more and couldn't just hold up underground.

I really like LargeSnail's idea of vermin to ants, it really gives you a sense of scale that there are creatures tiny even for ants. If you go in the opposite direction, what could be the Mega-beasts? A difficult question, as many creatures big enough to regularly eat ants are way way too large for an ant population of at most a few hundred to defeat. Skinks would work, while anteaters and boars would break the size-limit of DF by far.

For megabeasts, I was thinking the following:

finch
bat
frog
lizard
skink
mouse
rat
mole

Mid-writing-edit: I saw the creature line-up. Some comments on it:
  • Is a daddy long-legs a cellar spider, a harvestman or a crane fly? The name is used for all three depending on region, but I suppose it is one of the former two as you put it with the spiders.
  • Beetles are good. Vanilla DF just has one single beetle species, which is too few. Beetles have noticeable grubs, should these be counted as separate creatures? Come to think of it, ant babies should probably be larvae as well...  FirePhoenix might have a solution to this, considering they made the Dwarvemon Pokémod. Maybe IndigoFenix as well, IIRC the piranha plants have multiple stages to them.
  • Mites are really tiny. The ticks (!) are the largest ones, and even they are barely visible before they bloat up with blood. I propose that mites be vermin.
  • Grasshoppers, locusts and the like are huge relative to the ants, and thus would give lots of meat when butchered. They are incredibly speedy though, and have flight, so hunting one down wouldn't be easy. They could be given a high value materials as an incentive for the player to try that challenge.
  • Butterflies need flowers, as do the bees, so there should be some kind of flower trees, or at least decently large flowers. Butterflies could be set with SPECIFIC_FOOD to only appear in flowery areas, though considering a game world will be considered tiny enough for a butterfly to easily cross this might not be a problem.
  • Slugs/Snails seem like slow, steady sources of food. A beginner's blessing. Snails might retract into their shells, though, at which point getting that snail-meat out would be tricky. I dunno if carnivorous snails/slugs ever eat ants, in which case they could be a moderate threat.

I will change the name to cellar spider.
I will check out the Dwarvemon and ROTMK mods and see if I can figure out stages. If not, maybe I will add separate grubs. Ants may give live birth though. I will have to work around the system limitations.
I'll make mites vermin. I am also considering making louse, fleas, nematodes and a few of the worms vermin. Arrow worms will possibly be vermin fish.
I was planning on adding dandelions as trees, but I could add other flowers as well: daises, lavender, chamomile, basil, oregano, etc.
Apparently there is a giant carnivorous land snail.

It's actually possible to somewhat bypass the size limit by setting a creature's size to 1 and then multiplying by a couple million. The Godzilla megabeast I made once uses this method. That Godzilla is just about on the "new" limit, but you could get a bit larger.

I also wanted to suggest the trilobite beetle. It's famous for its extreme sexual dimorphism. The females are giant grubs for their entire lives, while the males are relatively tiny beetles.

I will add a trilobite beetle. :)

Good to know about the massive creatures. I may use it for something, but I probably won't add anything bigger than a chicken. Anything larger than that is basically unrecognizable.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 12:41:25 pm »

What is the general thought of blocking off the magma sea and underworld by putting a layer of rock that can't be mined right below the third cavern layer. The scale of the mod would mean that the player is only digging some 50 feet underground, so it may be odd to encounter random pockets of magma (magma seas).

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 12:43:28 pm »

Giving the non-civilized creatures CAN_SPEAK will have the same consequences as INTELLIGENT, I think. Sentience is defined in the game as the ability to speak and/or earn XP. Being able to do either will cause the game to treat them as intelligent. Maybe the sentient bugs could be marked as somehow different than their kin and written as a separate creature, sort of like how animal men are treated? "Noble" or "Talking" bugs maybe?

Personally, I'd allow access to the magma sea. It's odd, but no more odd than bugs using swords. Besides, players will probably find their way down to magma anyway, by using deep pits and the like.
My mods and forum games.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 02:20:22 pm »

Personally, I'd allow access to the magma sea. It's odd, but no more odd than bugs using swords. Besides, players will probably find their way down to magma anyway, by using deep pits and the like.
Since I am not making the bugs anthropomorphic, I am not sure I will add traditional weapons and armor (like swords). They might just use their natural weapons plus a some items that could be reasonably made/used by an insect (e.g. sharp stick, large stone, etc.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10