Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Removing the [HAS_NERVES] tag doesn't prevent all nerve damage.  (Read 1571 times)

Thomasasia

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Vampromancer
    • View Profile
Removing the [HAS_NERVES] tag doesn't prevent all nerve damage.
« on: September 05, 2019, 12:16:16 pm »

I wanted to make an ultra rare caste of Super Dwarves, so as a test I removed the [HAS_NERVES] tag from the dwarves in creatures_standard.txt. However, when I go into the object testing arena, nerves can still be severed in the head and neck (though not in any of the nimbs, and I'm unsure about upper/lower body). Anyone know why this still occurs, and how to prevent it?
"That way leads to the surface. We don't go to the surface."

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Removing the [HAS_NERVES] tag doesn't prevent all nerve damage.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 12:42:00 pm »

I have no idea, but try removing the brain and adding no thought center for movement.

Thomasasia

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Vampromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 12:48:01 pm »

I have figured it out. The trick is to remove the [NERVOUS] tag from the middle, lower, and upper spine in body_default.txt. The problem is, this removes this functionality for ALL creatures, and doesn't actually remove the nervous tissue. In addition, I think that since nervous tissue doesn't heal, there is a good chance of dwarves dying from their nervous tissue getting infected, even though it doesn't paralyse them. The solution is probably to define which template the specific caste uses as a custom one without nervous tissue and such, but this seems like a pain.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 01:03:17 am »

I'm confused, [HAS_NERVES] just means the creature will have Sensory and Motor Nerves in parts like LIMB, GRASP, and STANCE. Mainly in MUSCULAR tissues.

So you thought that it would also remove NERVOUS parts (spine (neck, middle spine, lower spine))?

Your best bet would just to override the TISSUE that is the NERVOUS tissue with one that isn't FUNCTIONAL to bypass that

Thomasasia

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Vampromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 08:05:43 pm »

I'm confused, [HAS_NERVES] just means the creature will have Sensory and Motor Nerves in parts like LIMB, GRASP, and STANCE. Mainly in MUSCULAR tissues.

So you thought that it would also remove NERVOUS parts (spine (neck, middle spine, lower spine))?

Your best bet would just to override the TISSUE that is the NERVOUS tissue with one that isn't FUNCTIONAL to bypass that

Yeah you have to get rid of the tissues.