Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: DF Overhaul - Insects  (Read 16557 times)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Overhaul - Insects
« Reply #135 on: December 11, 2019, 10:28:28 pm »

Alright. So, after thinking about this mod a lot, in addition to the changes discussed above (removing fliers, changing cluster sizes, adding multiple queens, etc.) I decided that this mod would work best by removing the "realism" concept and using anthropomorphic bugs (both physically and mentally). Insects would have two STANCE feet and four GRASP hands. This would allow them to use weapons and armor (adding back in things like picks and axes). I would also remove utterances from all of the creatures and add back in books and scrolls. I would also add some stress back in along with the emotional needs of a human/dwarf. I think that this would make a much more enjoyable gameplay with less robotic and unrelatble creatures. Thoughts?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 12, 2019, 01:22:19 pm »

That might be a good idea. The mod will be "bugs in a fantasy world" no matter what, and SimAnt and Empires of the Undergrowth are already out there to provide relatively realistic bug simulators.

Would there still be more realistic insects as animals, though?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 07:17:05 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 13, 2019, 07:17:06 am »

I can keep some of the bugs realistic. I will have to think about what would determine if the bug is realistic or anthro though.

Logariter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 14, 2019, 05:56:56 am »

Is the mod going to be set in a fantastic world? if so, I have some creature ideas, such as wormy tendrils, but as creatures:
Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:TENDRIL]
[DESCRIPTION:A large blade of muscular grass.]
[NAME:wormy tendril:wormy tendrils:wormy tendril]
[CREATURE_TILE:'~'][COLOR:4:0:0]
[NATURAL]
[BIOME:NOT_FREEZING][FREQUENCY:100]
[EVIL]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:25:50]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:1:2]
[PREFSTRING:terror]
[ALL_ACTIVE]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_CRAWLING_GAITS:9000:8900:8825:8775:9500:9900] 1 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_CLIMBING_GAITS:9000:8900:8825:8775:9500:9900] 1 kph
[STANCE_CLIMBER][NATURAL_SKILL:CLIMBING:15]
[NO_SLEEP]
[MUNDANE]
[NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
[GETS_WOUND_INFECTIONS]
[GETS_INFECTIONS_FROM_ROT]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:1000000]
[NOBONES]
[BODY:BODY_WITH_HEAD_FLAG]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:MUSCLE:MUSCLE_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL:tendril]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:MUSCLE:MUSCLE_TEMPLATE]
[TISSUE_NAME:tendril]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:MUSCLE]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:MUSCLE]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:MAUVE:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:tendril:SINGULAR]

Lurksquatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 15, 2019, 10:20:01 pm »

Alright. So, after thinking about this mod a lot, in addition to the changes discussed above (removing fliers, changing cluster sizes, adding multiple queens, etc.) I decided that this mod would work best by removing the "realism" concept and using anthropomorphic bugs (both physically and mentally). Insects would have two STANCE feet and four GRASP hands. This would allow them to use weapons and armor (adding back in things like picks and axes). I would also remove utterances from all of the creatures and add back in books and scrolls. I would also add some stress back in along with the emotional needs of a human/dwarf. I think that this would make a much more enjoyable gameplay with less robotic and unrelatble creatures. Thoughts?

Awww. I was really interested in having a realistic bug simulator. However, as a modder myself, I can understand if some ideas just won't work right. I'm sure anthropomorphic bugs will be just as fun as realistic ones  :).

Personally, I would only have intelligent/civilized bugs be anthropomorphic, and have "animal" bugs be more realistic. You might have to make some concessions to fit into what DF allows, but that would help keep your civilized bugs unique, and would mesh well with other fantasy depictions of intelligent bugs.

Have you ever seen/played/heard of Hollow Knight? I haven't played it myself, but it's a game about sentient bugs, and this new direction for your mod reminds me of it. Maybe you could look it up for some ideas on weapons/tools/general aesthetic?

justaguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 20, 2019, 11:00:06 pm »

I second the Hollow Knight thing, that's a great place for some inspiration. 

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 20, 2019, 11:46:47 pm »

There's a pretty interesting look here at the real world biology behind the mystical stuff in Hollow Knight. Might be useful for inspiration/implementation.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]