Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Something is stalking me  (Read 2333 times)

Urist McBaywatcher

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Something is stalking me
« on: November 11, 2019, 07:55:14 pm »

I can't really post screenshots right now. But something in Adventure Mode is literally stalking me. What happens is i walk in a field and Horses get thrown into objects and dogs LITERALLY get their limbs torn off but it doesn't show what's attacking just "The fat horse collides with an obstacle!" when i try and fast travel the message "You feel uneasy" pops up. Its not boogeymen no cackling, its not goblins they cant pick up and throw horses plus it would say they were doing it. Anyone have any idea what the heck this is?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Something is stalking me
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 09:18:01 am »

Sounds awesome whatever it is. Have you tried sneaking to try and find what's skulking around?

TeaAndRum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 04:02:48 pm »

I think it could be bandits. They raid hamlets sometimes, and then they are immediately hostile towards you (unlike when they're in camps). Do you see an asterisk on the travel map?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 04:14:09 pm »

They might be falling off things. Colliding with "an obstacle" includes the ground. In elven retreats, elves will often fling themselves off trees (or are perhaps pushed) with similar messages.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 01:32:34 am »

I suppose you don't have a flying civ modded in, which has horses and dogs as mounts, do you.

I was once playing in a modpack, where there was such civ, and when they ambushed me, their mounts fell out of the sky.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Urist McBaywatcher

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 08:21:16 am »

I dont think its bandits and no i have no mods, how would bandits throw horses? Its like something is literally tearing the animals apart

TeaAndRum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 12:28:26 pm »

I dont think its bandits and no i have no mods, how would bandits throw horses? Its like something is literally tearing the animals apart
What I see here is: slamming into an obstacle could be, that the horses attempt to dodge whatever is attacking, and end up colliding with trees. Limbs getting chopped indicates a sharp object, such as sword/axe. But I have no idea about throwing them, and tearing the limbs, instead of chopping. Maybeee... a megabeast of sorts? Anyways, that sounds very interesting. See if you can track it down.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 02:09:42 pm »

The slamming into an obstacle is caused by an uncontrolled stop of a Flying status.
Flying status can result from several actions. There are a few categories, so I will sort them. A "C" denotes controll over the flight, while "U" means no control, a "H" means the flight is horisontal, a "V" means vertical.

Likely in adventure mode
Flight movement type (Typicaly winged creatures) C HV
Jumping (Only player is able to do it) CU H
Falling U V
Being thrown using wrestling U H
Being slammed into U H
Being propelled by the force of a blow U H

Unlikely in adventure mode
Being knocked out and away by cave-in dust U H
Being flinged by a rising bridge U V

Now, there are several factors about the categories.
Any non-controlled horisontal flight along the ground can result in a body part skidding along the ground, which which may result (among other things) in it being severed.
Any uncontrolled flight will eventually become a fall, if not stopped by other measures.
Any uncontrolled flight may result in slamming into a creature and, if said creature is light enough, making it fly away. Slamming into a creature inflicts no damage and stops flight of the slammer.
An uncontrolled horisontal ends if the Flying creature slams into an obstacle such as a wall or a tree.
A fall ends when the falling creature slams into an obstacle (the ground), likely taking blunt damage.

A creature with at least one free [GRASP] limb in an uncontrolled flight may react by grabbing terrain or next to them or foliage above them.

Jumping on flat ground or one level below is generaly safe, but more than that may turn the jump into a fall.

Without mods, there are only a few options.
A) Creatures started on a tree and are now falling off it.
B) Something is generating cave-in dust. (A titan? An FB? Clown? Badly generated terrain? (Last one would display a "Something has collapsed on the surface" message.))
C) Someone is throwing using wrestling. (A megabeast? Semimegabeast? Rediculously overpowered Historical figure?)
D) Someone is propelling the creatures with the force of their blows. (Bronze collosus?)
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

TeaAndRum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 07:18:24 pm »

The slamming into an obstacle is caused by an uncontrolled stop of a Flying status.
Flying status can result from several actions. There are a few categories, so I will sort them. A "C" denotes controll over the flight, while "U" means no control, a "H" means the flight is horisontal, a "V" means vertical.

Likely in adventure mode
Flight movement type (Typicaly winged creatures) C HV
Jumping (Only player is able to do it) CU H
Falling U V
Being thrown using wrestling U H
Being slammed into U H
Being propelled by the force of a blow U H

Unlikely in adventure mode
Being knocked out and away by cave-in dust U H
Being flinged by a rising bridge U V

Now, there are several factors about the categories.
Any non-controlled horisontal flight along the ground can result in a body part skidding along the ground, which which may result (among other things) in it being severed.
Any uncontrolled flight will eventually become a fall, if not stopped by other measures.
Any uncontrolled flight may result in slamming into a creature and, if said creature is light enough, making it fly away. Slamming into a creature inflicts no damage and stops flight of the slammer.
An uncontrolled horisontal ends if the Flying creature slams into an obstacle such as a wall or a tree.
A fall ends when the falling creature slams into an obstacle (the ground), likely taking blunt damage.

A creature with at least one free [GRASP] limb in an uncontrolled flight may react by grabbing terrain or next to them or foliage above them.

Jumping on flat ground or one level below is generaly safe, but more than that may turn the jump into a fall.

Without mods, there are only a few options.
A) Creatures started on a tree and are now falling off it.
B) Something is generating cave-in dust. (A titan? An FB? Clown? Badly generated terrain? (Last one would display a "Something has collapsed on the surface" message.))
C) Someone is throwing using wrestling. (A megabeast? Semimegabeast? Rediculously overpowered Historical figure?)
D) Someone is propelling the creatures with the force of their blows. (Bronze collosus?)
Didn't know that. Thanks!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 12:36:09 am »

Dust can be generated by things falling off trees in adventurer mode. I was once hit by what appeared to be a landslide. Dust knocked me backwards. Surprised the hell out of me, because I know they're not actually a thing. Turned out to be elves hitting the floor at the top of the slope just out of my view.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 01:49:26 am »

"Why do landslides happen?"
"Clumsy elves falling out of trees, disturbing the ground. That's why we don't go to the surface."
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2019, 09:18:54 am »

"Why do landslides happen?"
"Clumsy elves falling out of trees, disturbing the ground. That's why we don't go to the surface."
Aspirant elven wrestlers are the 2nd most common cause of surface dweller injuries. Once one elf hits another branch of elves it's an elvelanche all the way down the hometree