Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to find lair  (Read 3103 times)

Gilead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to find lair
« on: November 13, 2019, 04:49:22 pm »

Hi!

I am new to Adventure mode.
After training my adventurer and purchasing equipment I decided to look for a giant (not sure I'm capable of handling it, but I won't know until I try) that has stolen an artifact of my civilization. I looked the beast in Legends Viewer. Legends Viewer tells me where the giant's lair is, so I travelled all the way over there, but I can't find it precisely. The Legends Viewer also gives me a X,Y position, but I don't know how to use it.
I read somewhere that the location of a lair should appear at the top-right corner of the screen when I am near, but it didn't appear yet, even though I searched the area.

There must be something I'm missing. Where is that lair?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 04:58:29 pm by Gilead »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to find lair
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 05:37:47 pm »

Hi!

I am new to Adventure mode.
After training my adventurer and purchasing equipment I decided to look for a giant (not sure I'm capable of handling it, but I won't know until I try) that has stolen an artifact of my civilization. I looked the beast in Legends Viewer. Legends Viewer tells me where the giant's lair is, so I travelled all the way over there, but I can't find it precisely. The Legends Viewer also gives me a X,Y position, but I don't know how to use it.
I read somewhere that the location of a lair should appear at the top-right corner of the screen when I am near, but it didn't appear yet, even though I searched the area.

There must be something I'm missing. Where is that lair?
The entrance to a lair can be really hard to spot sometimes. A single tile heading downwards in amongst all the grass. You could try looking for tracks and see if they lead anywhere. Otherwise write it off as a possible error (underground lair built without an entrance? Not improbable.

Hopefully something to be improved in the user friendliness arc.

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 05:42:49 pm »

In the upper left corner, there's a compass displaying the nearest site. Look for the one highlighted in white, that means it's really close - NS/WE stands for directions (obviously)
Dabbling Overseer

Gilead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 06:18:56 pm »

The entrance to a lair can be really hard to spot sometimes. A single tile heading downwards in amongst all the grass. You could try looking for tracks and see if they lead anywhere. Otherwise write it off as a possible error (underground lair built without an entrance? Not improbable.

Ok, so a downward slope is what I'm looking for? That's a problem since I'm in a very mountainous terrain. There's slopes everywhere xD I tried looking for tracks (btw tracker is way too easy to lvl up, I was Master Tracker, don't know how, and after like 8 minutes at looking around for tracks I ended up Grand Master Tracker xD), but nothing for now.

In the upper left corner, there's a compass displaying the nearest site. Look for the one highlighted in white, that means it's really close - NS/WE stands for directions (obviously)

I understand how the compass work. Nothing is near, I tried to follow a few of the locations on the compass, but I just gor far away from the place the Legends Viewer sent me to. Also, lairs are supposed to be displayed by a [•] character. I only have [Æ], [µ] and [Ω] on my compass. Here's my compass

Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 06:32:53 pm by Gilead »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 12:31:18 am »

Ok, so a downward slope is what I'm looking for? That's a problem since I'm in a very mountainous terrain. There's slopes everywhere xD I tried looking for tracks (btw tracker is way too easy to lvl up, I was Master Tracker, don't know how, and after like 8 minutes at looking around for tracks I ended up Grand Master Tracker xD), but nothing for now.

I understand how the compass work. Nothing is near, I tried to follow a few of the locations on the compass, but I just gor far away from the place the Legends Viewer sent me to. Also, lairs are supposed to be displayed by a [•] character. I only have [Æ], [µ] and [Ω] on my compass. Here's my compass

Thanks for the help.
Ah, in the mountains, it's actually slightly easier. There's usually a kind of tunnel into the mountain before the downward slope. Roam around aimlessly and you're bound to stumble into it eventually (tiny crack leading to the...giant's cave...hmm).

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 03:59:21 pm »

In fast travel, there is a minimap, which helps find things. Just open the fast travel menu, give map a look and close fast travel menu without traveling. This is how I use the fast travel feature anyhow. Walking everywhere is more fun in adventure mode, then fast traveling. However the mini map... why it can't be displayed in small window in main view? Very useful feature, it is imho.

ArrowThunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 02:53:19 pm »

Three things:

First off, it sounds like you already have, but make sure you didn't just locate the lair in legends but also got someone in the game to give you detailed directions. Doing so adds the lair to your map. Otherwise, you'd just be hoping to stumble across the lair.

Second of all, as Sarmatian123 says use the Fast Travel screen to make sure you're on the lair's site itself. Once you are, you should be able to see the name of the site in the bottom left corner from the fast travel screen, which you can cross-reference with your rumor notes to make sure is the site you're looking for (don't want to go in expecting a Giant and find a Dragon instead!)

Finally, once you're at the correct site, you're going to want to find the entrance. Typically the actual entrances are in the middle tile of the sitemap, but this isn't always the case. The compass should point to the exact tile of the lair opening, so at this point you should be able to find it from there.

Site openings aren't easy to spot to the untrained eye, but there is a trick to it! They are always either: an upward slope on flat terrain (fancy ones will even have a hatch cover!) or a tunnel into the side of a hill/mountain on not-so flat terrain (fancy ones will have a door).

Gilead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 06:43:59 am »

but make sure you didn't just locate the lair in legends but also got someone in the game to give you detailed directions.

Oh! That's what I need then! In-Game directions from an NPC, thanks.
Do I have to ask someone specific or can anybody tell me? Because I asked 2 people and they were vague. They were less precise than the legends viewer.

Anyway, back to the fortress, then.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 07:20:04 am by Gilead »

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 09:23:12 am »

but make sure you didn't just locate the lair in legends but also got someone in the game to give you detailed directions.

Oh! That's what I need then! In-Game directions from an NPC, thanks.
Do I have to ask someone specific or can anybody tell me? Because I asked 2 people and they were vague. They were less precise than the legends viewer.

Anyway, back to the fortress, then.

It will say something along the lines of "[They give you detailed instructions]  when you ask some for directions to said lair and then it will pop up in your world map and you can look specifically for it with Q(quest log) -> Sites-> then search for its name)
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Gilead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 05:26:41 pm »

Thank you all!

I got detailed instructions and found the lair easily. Unfortunately, I was no match for the giantess. I died very fast (which was not very surprising).

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2019, 07:21:44 pm »

Thank you all!

I got detailed instructions and found the lair easily. Unfortunately, I was no match for the giantess. I died very fast (which was not very surprising).
You are very welcome!
Heh, i just had to retire a vampire adventurer because he lost his leg and ability to use his arms. Think ill hunt him down with my next one to continue his bloodline.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2019, 02:45:49 pm »

One of the features that I'm seeing in more recent rogue-likes is the option to hit > (the "go downwards" command) anywhere on the map, and automatically path to it, stopping if an enemy is spotted. If there is no down stairs there, or it isn't revealed yet, you get a message telling you you can't go down.

It seems like it's got a few different pieces of logic you need to string together to make it work with your particular code, but also it seems like a problem enough people have solved that it's now reasonable to recreate.