Is it a good idea?

Yes
- 6 (54.5%)
No
- 5 (45.5%)
Indifferent
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Grinding stone down to sand  (Read 1357 times)

ZayZe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Grinding stone down to sand
« on: November 15, 2019, 12:32:40 am »

Saw this in a mod recently, I'd like it added into the base game. Seems realistic and agreeable. Giving us another use for stone.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grinding stone down to sand
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 11:18:30 am »

Not particularly realistic, I think. There are nowadays processes to grind stone down to gravel for industrial use (e.g. to be added to reinforce concrete), but grinding it all the way down to sand would require a LOT of work, and many of the grains would probably have dangerously sharp edges.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 01:16:57 pm »

And you wouldn't be able to use most stones for glass.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

ZayZe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 01:59:03 pm »

Added a poll.

I see what you're saying

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 03:10:37 pm »

Not particularly realistic, I think. There are nowadays processes to grind stone down to gravel for industrial use (e.g. to be added to reinforce concrete), but grinding it all the way down to sand would require a LOT of work, and many of the grains would probably have dangerously sharp edges.

Breaking rocks was a task typically done by convicts and prisoners. It could be a way to use POWs.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 03:42:01 pm »

Breaking rocks was a task typically done by convicts and prisoners. It could be a way to use POWs.
Into gravel, yes, but not sand. Also, as Bumber said, most rock wouldn't yield sand usable for glass anyway.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 03:54:33 pm »

Hoo boy, I see people making comments about things without researching them.

Industrial sand production is very much a thing, and can be used for basically every single use that natural sand is, and is in fact preferred in many due to having a more refined percentage of silica.

However, it is an extremely energy expensive process that uses simply massive modern industrial machines, and would be unbelievably impractical for the fifteenth century tech cutoff in DF.

edit: Also, and this is very important and very few people seem to understand it, sand is not a material, it is a size.  Any kind of rock can be reduced to sand, and you can find natural instances of basically all of them on any given beach.  There are of course some specific cases where the sand on a beach is uniform (or close enough for the trace amounts really don't matter) in its composition.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 04:01:24 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 09:16:52 am »

I think it would always be more practical simply to send a bunch of dwarves off to wherever the sand is than to do this.