Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New kind of building that blocks animals but lets sapients pass.  (Read 770 times)

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New kind of building that blocks animals but lets sapients pass.
« on: September 27, 2023, 09:09:28 am »

Maybe a new building (not necessarily a door) that would be seen by the AI's pathfinding as a solid wall unless they possessed the [CAN_LEARN] token? My cats keep eating my cave spiders.

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New kind of building that blocks animals but lets sapients pass.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 03:45:49 pm »

Doors used to be able to be restricted to exactly that.

It caused an unfathomable amount of lag.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 06:44:45 pm »

Yeah, it would be nice but only possible after a major change to pathfinding code to prevent it from slowing down the game.

Best thing currently, is to pasture all unwanted critters in walled in areas with only one tile exit (doorway/stairs), so they're rarely tempted to leave the area (only to attempt to path around another creature to get from point a to b in the pasture, and only when trying to use that doorway is shorter, so your dwarves arent constantly going to re-pasture them)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2023, 08:04:31 am »

I knew about the “tightly closed” thing. I thought that maybe a new kind of building that permanently has this function without being toggle-able wouldn’t create pathfinding issues, but maybe I’m wrong.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2023, 11:20:23 pm »

It is the function itself that causes the performance issue, not the toggleability.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2023, 08:30:25 am »

In case the pathfinding code ever makes such a permanent building viable:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stile
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kissing_gate
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2023, 10:29:36 am »

Cat grid. Like a cattle grid, but impassable to felines!

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2023, 09:21:44 pm »

A bathtub would probably work pretty well for keeping cats out.

I knew about the “tightly closed” thing. I thought that maybe a new kind of building that permanently has this function without being toggle-able wouldn’t create pathfinding issues, but maybe I’m wrong.
Yeah, as I understand it, the problem isn't the toggling, it's having different creatures with different movement abilities. This is also why creatures that can fly also hav pathing issues. Then there's those that can swim any where in water, or any where in magma, or can climb easily, or can move through walls, or some combination.

This is of course fixable, just not quickly or really easily. Also other parts of the code that are involved in the problem need to be redone any way, so if they just fixed this pathing problem they'd end up having to redo much of the pathing any way. So they've got to shave so other yaks before they can shave this one.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Salsa Gal

• Bay Watcher
  • Diggy diggy hole
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2023, 01:52:23 am »

It is the function itself that causes the performance issue, not the toggleability.
Could I ask exactly how it affected the performance? Seems like a weird thing to have an issue with

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2023, 09:45:03 pm »

Cat grid. Like a cattle grid, but impassable to felines!

A bathtub would probably work pretty well for keeping cats out.

If such devices are implemented, cats should employ the services of nearby mind-control slaves dwarves to safely carry them over/through/across the barrier.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2023, 04:21:10 pm »

Could I ask exactly how it affected the performance? Seems like a weird thing to have an issue with

Animal on one side of the door wants to get to the other. Spams pathfinding constantly because both sides are considered part of the same region.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?