Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Steam achievements  (Read 16099 times)

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: Steam achievements
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2022, 05:10:21 am »

I thought somebody recently revived this thread, but now I can't find it.

These two were Rose's idea on the Kitfox Discord.

Praise the miners:  Extract adamantine
Curse the miners:  Encounter a certain complication when mining adamantine

My own punny ideas, generally interpreted as rewards for figuring a system out, without going into special cases.  (Incidental things like striking a cavern feel undeserving of achievements imo.)

Thirsty still:  Brew a drink (using a barrel and crops at a still)
Secure lodgings:  Make a fully enclosed bedroom
Bolt, plow, and hook:  Butcher a wild animal, harvest a farm plot, and clean a fish
Greener grass:  Assign grazing animals to a pasture zone
Warming up:  Make charcoal (at a wood furnace)
Going well:  Retrieve water using a well
Heavy spar:  Practise combat during militia training
Comfy clothes:  Make a set of clothing
Fine dining:  Serve a cooked meal in a dining hall
Shiny dirt:  Glaze earthenware (at a kiln)
Keeping count:  Attain perfect bookkeeping precision
Come one, come all:  Trade at a depot
Happy as can be:  Bring a dwarf to extreme happiness
Grinds my gears:  Link something using mechanisms
Right on track:  Ride or guide a minecart
Wetwork:  Operate a screwpump using axels
Art patron:  Have a successful strange mood
Honey beards:  Split a bee hive into two separate colonies
Beloved mayor:  Fulfill a petition (for a guild or temple)
Manu propria:  Write a codex (at a library)
Beyond the beard:  Send a mission out to another site
Forever in our hearts:  Bury or memorialise a dead dwarf

And most importantly, everyone agrees on this -  Losing is fun:  Lose your first fortress or adventurer
(Could have different flavours, as OP suggested)

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2022, 05:52:44 am »

I thought somebody recently revived this thread, but now I can't find it.

These two were Rose's idea on the Kitfox Discord.

Praise the miners:  Extract adamantine
Curse the miners:  Encounter a certain complication when mining adamantine

<snip>

And most importantly, everyone agrees on this -  Losing is fun:  Lose your first fortress or adventurer

Don't forget the exclamation marks on these, for emphasis!

However, I think that last one should be split:

Losing is fun!:  Lose your first fortress
It was inevitable!: Lose your first adventurer

Thirsty still:  Brew a drink (using a barrel and crops at a still)
Secure lodgings:  Make a fully enclosed bedroom
Bolt, plow, and hook:  Butcher a wild animal, harvest a farm plot, and clean a fish
Greener grass:  Assign grazing animals to a pasture zone
Warming up:  Make charcoal (at a wood furnace)
Going well:  Retrieve water using a well
Heavy spar:  Practise combat during militia training
Comfy clothes:  Make a set of clothing
Fine dining:  Serve a cooked meal in a dining hall
Shiny dirt:  Glaze earthenware (at a kiln)
Keeping count:  Attain perfect bookkeeping precision
Come one, come all:  Trade at a depot
Happy as can be:  Bring a dwarf to extreme happiness
Grinds my gears:  Link something using mechanisms
Right on track:  Ride or guide a minecart
Wetwork:  Operate a screwpump using axels
Art patron:  Have a successful strange mood
Honey beards:  Split a bee hive into two separate colonies
Beloved mayor:  Fulfill a petition (for a guild or temple)
Manu propria:  Write a codex (at a library)
Beyond the beard:  Send a mission out to another site
Forever in our hearts:  Bury or memorialise a dead dwarf

For some of these I recommend removing the mentions of specific species/things in some cases; "bury or memorialise a dead person" for example, and the drink brewing should work with any kind of container that can hold drinks (not just a barrel). This will make them achievable when playing as other species (either now with mods, or later in myth&magic when non-dwarf races become possible), and in a wider range of conditions.

Achievements should strive to be achievable in a range of worlds, while being played with a variety of available species or items: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=5.0

Also, wherever possible, achievements like this should be obtainable in either mode IMO; you can make a set of clothes in adventure mode right? Even if you can't yet (I've never been able to play it due to rendering bugs), that example gets the point across; it would be weird to make a set of clothes in one mode and see you haven't gotten the achievement. You could solve this kind of by describing the achievement as "do X in Y mode", but that seems like the less natural solution.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2022, 02:18:29 pm »

Curse ALL Friends of Nature: Kill 1000 elves.
Forgotten, Once Again: Kill a Forgotten Beast.
MAGMAAAAAAAAA: Pull magma all the way to the surface.
Kill ALL Those Friggin' Elephants: Make elephants locally extinct in a biome.
Clowns And Candy: Dig a bit too far and find The Circus.
Blood For The Blood God: Cover 100 tiles in blood in quick succesion.
Win The Game: Win the Game.

Some more.

Water's coming up!: Have a well overflow.
Gimme Gimme: Completely buy out an entire dwarven caravan.
Timeless: Learn the secret and defeat death.
Fool's Findings: Find microcline.
All Burn...: Fill your fortress with fire and smoke for no good reason.
Slayed Servant Slayers: Raise the dead.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2022, 07:32:59 pm »

I think if DF is still undergoing change, especially to an ‘everything is randomisable’ form, it’s fairly useless to make a set of Steam Achievements now, if they’ll all become obsolete later.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2022, 06:00:35 am »

I think if DF is still undergoing change, especially to an ‘everything is randomisable’ form, it’s fairly useless to make a set of Steam Achievements now, if they’ll all become obsolete later.

I think the better solution here than just not doing achievements, is to just apply some forethought when designing each achievement (mostly the name and icon; the triggering logic can always be rewritten, or the description adjusted), so that they can be flexible and achievable in a wide range of possible randomized worlds when the time comes: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=179598.0

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2022, 02:21:19 pm »

I think the better solution here than just not doing achievements, is to just apply some forethought when designing each achievement (mostly the name and icon; the triggering logic can always be rewritten, or the description adjusted), so that they can be flexible and achievable in a wide range of possible randomized worlds when the time comes: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=179598.0

Can the names and icons not be changed?  The Steamworks guide reveals a curious "edit" button.  I'd be surprised if it only allows for description changes.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2022, 04:54:36 pm »

Can the names and icons not be changed?  The Steamworks guide reveals a curious "edit" button.  I'd be surprised if it only allows for description changes.

They probably can be... But I don't know why, it just seems better if they stay the same (to be fair, I don't have any solid arguments here). Having them change feels wrong somehow, since they feel more fundamental to the "essence" of what the achievement is, and having an achievement change like that after it was achieved just seems weird.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2022, 08:19:14 pm »

They probably can be... But I don't know why, it just seems better if they stay the same (to be fair, I don't have any solid arguments here). Having them change feels wrong somehow, since they feel more fundamental to the "essence" of what the achievement is, and having an achievement change like that after it was achieved just seems weird.
Yes, I agree. Having an achievement like ‘have your dwarves brew plump helmet wine’ be changed to ‘have your creatures brew a common alcoholic beverage’ is just weird. Weirder yet if we later get these species that either don’t use alcohol or maybe even don’t require liquids, I don’t know how far the process is supposed to go.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2023, 07:34:00 pm »

I can completely understand the hesitancy towards achievements in a sandbox game risking making the game finite to players, and would be thoroughly okay with their absence.

With some creativity, I bet an unattainable achievement list could be created.  All of it possible to do, but enough megaproject sized achievements, that you'd have to have started 10 years ago to complete them all.  Like wrestle to death all the dragons in a world with at least 13 dragons for the "Dragon Bane" achievement.  Or: have more than 75% of the surface covered in at least 5/7 magma with at least a 3x3 embark for the "Magma Crab Farm" achievement.

Also, those suggestions on Reddit, linked on the 1st page, are excellent.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 07:46:50 pm by Schmaven »

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2023, 06:30:12 am »

Agree with this. You can add add something like 20-50 "very very hard" achievements and it will be ok. Like doing a world tour of a very large world (north south or east west, or both), or killing a dragon with only kicks. I think you can find and infinite fun but hard challenges.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]