Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Attributes(Hero): How to endure as much damage as possible without armor?  (Read 2698 times)

SakuraHeinz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I have the choice for toughness or strength:

-Strength gives extra thick muscles that help you dont get crippled.
-Toughness reduces the physical damage on your body.

So what do I choose? Superior Strength, Superior Toughness or do I choose a mix of High strength and High Toughness?

Attention: this thread is not about how to survive the longest its about getting hit and endure the damage without getting crippled or serious injury in one attack.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: Attributes(Hero): How to endure as much damage as possible without armor?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 10:31:47 am »

Regardless of the one you choose, the returns are of diminishing value, given the effect of force transfer to joints.

In the olden days, what people liked was maxing strength along with girth = most soaky.

How would you make the soakiest meatshield now?

I'd say pair superior strength with disease resistance as its lowest. This way from the start, you can get a character who will have a description like "is strapped with massive amounts of muscle and lard". This is the fat soak description of an average build/height character who at superior strength would have the description "is incredibly muscular".
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:String_dump/raw

You make a character like this, and you will def have layers of soak.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 10:34:05 am »

BTW if you really don't like the low disease resistance part, you can fatten you character by repeatedly eating 4 units of food, then clearing the fullness counter by entering fast travel. Rinse and repeat.

Having higher than average disease resistance may prevent the belarding tho.

SakuraHeinz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 10:47:59 am »

I never thought about a fat layer as armor, thank you very much for this info!

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 10:55:06 am »

Cheers, but not my info, some old threads from the 34.11 version had forum members talking lardiness.

Also choose a large sized build. Size > strength. And in this way human > dwarf/elf/gobbo.

SakuraHeinz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 11:30:20 am »

Cheers, but not my info, some old threads from the 34.11 version had forum members talking lardiness.

Also choose a large sized build. Size > strength. And in this way human > dwarf/elf/gobbo.

Yes I wanted to play a giantess Giraffe person, she is like 500000 units tall, the only problem I have is the not avaible armor without modding, I have the leather armor but its missing the reactions for all glove types.

I dont want to bug out the vanilla game.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 12:27:17 pm »

The vanilla way to get armor for an animal person is to retire your giraffe adventurer. Now create a 2nd character and retire them. Start new adventure once again, but chose to unretire your giraffe. She should now be fully clothed and armored.

One note is before selecting a place to retire your giraffe, you do want to inspect the melee units for that civ to be sure you have a chance to get armor of a preferred material type. If you're in dwarf lands, you could get steel.

SakuraHeinz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 02:14:35 pm »

Yes I know, Im just extremely against any way of cheating and exploiting.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 09:23:56 am »

I don't think it's really exploiting here, since we can safely assume your character did a year of various odd-jobs to make enough money to order a custom-build from a blacksmith.
Retiring your adventurer is part of the game, and there is not yet a way for you to purchase bespoke animal man armour for your character whilst you play them... It's all within the legitimate mechanics of DF ;]

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 11:16:56 am »

I agree that retiring/unretiring is legitimate, and acquired goods represent the value of the work the adventurer does off-screen, but from a player point of view it's low effort. My advice is to engage your adventurer in the militia of one of your towns, make him work for your dorfs and build him a custom sized armors in exchange of his work. Dwarf fortress a bit, retire your fortress, play your giraffe, everyone wins

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 04:54:58 pm »

Make the armour yourself in a fortress, then go pick it up as your giraffe person. That way it's all your own work, no exploitation is needed and you're actually playing the game as intended.

Oh, yes, and do the above. 10 years in the military will make for a fine adventurer if he survives.

In the end, a quick read of legends shows animal people with armour skill. So it exists in abstract, which makes it an as yet unimplemented but intended feature. With that in mind, even Dfhacking it into existence isn't an exploit. Just of way of letting you play as eventually intended.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 04:59:36 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 01:24:24 pm »

Regardless of the one you choose, the returns are of diminishing value, given the effect of force transfer to joints.

In the olden days, what people liked was maxing strength along with girth = most soaky.

How would you make the soakiest meatshield now?

I'd say pair superior strength with disease resistance as its lowest. This way from the start, you can get a character who will have a description like "is strapped with massive amounts of muscle and lard". This is the fat soak description of an average build/height character who at superior strength would have the description "is incredibly muscular".
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:String_dump/raw

You make a character like this, and you will def have layers of soak.

A correction: recuperation is the drop stat here, not disease resistance.