Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Archers no fire bolts  (Read 1487 times)

Fleshbits

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Archers no fire bolts
« on: November 16, 2019, 11:45:02 am »

Can anyone tell me why my archers are won't fire their bolts at my prisoners?
and secondary, why where the water in the brook keeps spawning from?
Save Game (w Meph Tileset raw):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dp9s116MixsPFX_ABR8DK2_nLHVYW6Kx/view?usp=sharing

『TroglodyteUprising』Today at 10:46 AM
i cant open it, but maybe i can help
do they have ammo?

Fleshbits UTC-6Today at 10:50 AM
I have stockpiles of ammo right next to them

『TroglodyteUprising』Today at 10:51 AM
do they have quivers?
also, are the prisoners in cages?

Fleshbits UTC-6Today at 10:56 AM
they all have quivers. prisoners were released from cages via a lever. archers are defending burrow against carved fortifications on other side of released prisoners

『TroglodyteUprising』Today at 10:57 AM
maybe take them off the burrow

Fleshbits UTC-6Today at 10:58 AM
I've taken them off and put them on several cycles

『TroglodyteUprising』Today at 11:01 AM
i see
did you set them to kill the prisoners?
like, through squad orders?

Fleshbits UTC-6Today at 11:03 AM
through schedules - defend burrows
it has worked for years on the save, and then last season when I added beak dogs to the prisoners, it stopped working
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 12:05:36 pm by Fleshbits »

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archers no fire bolts
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 02:18:23 pm »

If you (v)iew (i)nventory, select their quivers, and press (enter), you can see that none of your archers have any bolts in their quivers. Your ammunition is stored in bins, which makes large numbers of bolts unavailable when the containing bin is targeted by any storage task. Still, you have a few thousand bolts, and increasing the hunters' allotment correctly assigns additional ammunition to the hunters, so it's not immediately clear why no ammunition is being assigned to your archer squad.

Additionally, two of your archers have conflicting labors enabled (mining, woodcutting, and hunting), making them repeatedly pickup and drop their equipment.

Fleshbits

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 05:12:33 pm »

If you (v)iew (i)nventory, select their quivers, and press (enter), you can see that none of your archers have any bolts in their quivers. Your ammunition is stored in bins, which makes large numbers of bolts unavailable when the containing bin is targeted by any storage task. Still, you have a few thousand bolts, and increasing the hunters' allotment correctly assigns additional ammunition to the hunters, so it's not immediately clear why no ammunition is being assigned to your archer squad.

Additionally, two of your archers have conflicting labors enabled (mining, woodcutting, and hunting), making them repeatedly pickup and drop their equipment.

How does one "increasing the hunters' allotment correctly?"

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 06:39:34 pm »

How does one "increasing the hunters' allotment correctly?"
"Ammunition" option on the military screen.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 01:04:52 pm »

Apparently a squad needs a leader for ammunition assignment. Adding or moving a dwarf into the first slot will get some new ammo assigned to your archer squad. They'll still need to go pick up that ammo, which they probably won't do while glaring at enemies, so a break or reassignment may be necessary.