Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Biome based music  (Read 818 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Biome based music
« on: December 05, 2019, 01:32:31 am »

The new paid releases of Dwarf Fortress will get some music tracks and it seems that they'll be seasonal, which is nice. And that means the base game is getting some new mod options for setting music tracks according to season. This is good news (time to dig out the Simon Swerwer collection again).

So, as that part of the system gets updated, could we please have some settings to select music track according to biome too? Might not be used in Fortress, but for Adventurer it would be excellent. I play Caves of Qud which does this, and that's one of the few games that I don't even consider switching off the music and playing my own. Also makes for a handy clue that you've stumbled into an evil biome in case you don't notice the eyeball plants and capybara corpses closing in.

And if Kitfox want to make some biome based music too, all the better.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Biome based music
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 03:29:53 am »

+1 Even if the official release doesn’t get to use the full music options, mods should be able to define music for seasons, general biome (desert/forest/sea etc.), biome savagery, biome good/evil alignment (as their removal is yet a few years in the future), biome sphere alignment (as those are slowly but surely getting in), maybe day/night for Adventure Mode and some notion of conflict level.

I’m not sure I would personally want a pack with all of these (except for the seasons), but the music mod raws should still present the options for those who do.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Biome based music
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 03:44:27 am »

Yeah, I figure Kitfox won't bother with with extra tracks (at least at first) as they, like many others, probably don't care about Adventurer and assume no-one plays it.

But for those of us who do care, we care a lot and I know there'll be packs of biome music out in no time if we get the modding options for it. And then Kitfox can follow, or not, whatever, no big deal.

--
Oh, and while we're at it, site music triggers would be needed too, of course and within that, location music triggers too. 'cos jolly tavern music playing as you crawl over the bodies in the sewers doesn't quite work.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 05:35:03 am by Shonai_Dweller »