Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Monoramp wagonry  (Read 3341 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Monoramp wagonry
« on: November 21, 2019, 01:36:16 pm »

Ever felt like you wanted a depot deep underground...

...But making the 3-wide spiral was inefficient? Whole 40 tiles per z-level, spent...

...And yet making 45° drop didn't fit your fortress due descending being too far/too leisurely/being too laws-of-physics abiding?

|| || || || || ||

Well, never fear, for that need not be a problem! For the low, low price of 1 constructed ramp per z-level, your wagons too can do this thing!

PS: Wagon-tested, physics-disapproved:

|| ||

PPS: Beware your miners getting stuck, and don't dig all the tiles before building the ramp.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Monoramp wagonry
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 09:48:50 am »

I'm just imagining the wagon drivers doing sick drift-racing as they corkscrew down the ramp

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 01:32:15 am »

Wait, does this work? Why does this work?

Do the ramps have to be constructed as opposed to mined out?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 06:27:46 am »

Yeah, it works, see the screenshots - heck, it doesn't need to be 90° turns, can be any orientation. But ramps have to be constructed because when you dig out 3x3 tiles surrounding a natural ramp, the ramp disappears.

As to why, it seems the "open back" is important part for this - I'm guessing ramps have some workarounds for traversing diagonal mountain terrain (can entirely lack 3x ns/ew ramps there).

E: Now for some octoramp wagonry:

|| ||

||

All the blood thorn floors in red must be floors and not walls, otherwise it will not function. (I suppose you could make the center tile grate above a peahen, but that's besides the point of messing with wagons.)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 12:26:30 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 07:06:02 pm »

Yeah, I know it's a necro. The alternative was to create a new thread, and link to this one, but this seemed better. If for no other reason, it was more likely to catch FF's attention. If in error, please let me know and I'll go that route in the future.

I'm not picturing this, and couldn't find anything at dffd. Any chance you have a world save?

[EDIT]
Never mind. I just stared at it a while longer and suddenly understood it.

Thanks.
[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 07:20:07 pm by Thorfinn »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 02:47:41 pm »

Necroing with a reason is fine most of the time anyways

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 03:45:29 pm »

And, as we're here, I suspect the reason why it works (not apparently answered) is that it plays upon the "how the centre of a wagon works with ramps" mechanics. See also ramp configurations that work with wagons but everything else is inable to use (and vice-versa).

(I think you should be able to leave free-standing natural ramps, but it's tricky and usually an unwanted side-effect of hasty digging that I mostly try hard to avoid. Given this, maybe it was once possible, but now it's been jiggered away without me noticing. ;) )

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 04:39:13 pm »

You get free-standing natural ramps if you dig away a pillar tile - but in that case, there's no way to enter into the room. Unless maybe...the floors aren't necessary, aren't they?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 05:16:31 pm »

I was allowing for the addition of a side-access (which can be sealed up again), to make each perimiter of eight, etc...  Obviously won't look as neat, but functionally the same. ;)