Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Tech Age Rebellion: Colony-sim inspired by Rimworld and evil things  (Read 7047 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: Tech Age Rebellion: Colony-sim inspired by Rimworld and evil things
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2019, 01:12:24 am »

I'll be happy to take a key as well if the force is with me.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2019, 07:57:54 am »

I'm seeing a lot of instances where builders need, for example, a Cut Stone so they can build a Stone Wall, then they walk past 3 stockpiles full of cut stones to grab one on the other side of the map.

I noticed that all of my ovens stopped working when I ran out of Wheat, even though I had lots of apples that needed to be baked into pies. The Oven's had been assigned 'Craft Bread' jobs, even though they had none of the components needed to start the job, let alone finish it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 08:15:47 am by Folly »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2019, 09:34:35 am »

Announcing the giveaway winners (I derped and had to delete my live video of the draw *facepalm*)!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Keys have been PM'd to the winners! Thanks for joining in, everyone! If still interested, we've been notified about and joined the Itch.io Black Friday sale, so the 20% discount time is extended for a little longer.  :D

Given the realities of high tech research, and a hostile government force, it might make sense for a lot of 'research' to really just be hacking/reverse-engineering captured government equipment. Which has the added benefit of making the game a little more distinct from Rimworld.

I'm seeing a lot of instances where builders need, for example, a Cut Stone so they can build a Stone Wall, then they walk past 3 stockpiles full of cut stones to grab one on the other side of the map.

I noticed that all of my ovens stopped working when I ran out of Wheat, even though I had lots of apples that needed to be baked into pies. The Oven's had been assigned 'Craft Bread' jobs, even though they had none of the components needed to start the job, let alone finish it.
Noice, thanks for the feedback, Folly! I've forwarded the issues and they are being looked into since its top-priority stuff (I mean, other than crashes and game-breaking bugs, which we aren't aware of any except one that is already fixed, the pawns not annoying the hell out of us is very important to me  :P). I'm not sure on the ETA for such fixes though, but there's a patch coming this or next week with some good fixes.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 09:37:01 am by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2019, 11:08:47 pm »

I've played a bit and would like to suggest that crafting buildings automatically produce requirements for buildings and other crafting processes that have been queued up. Also there's a little typo in the population window - very instead of verry.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2019, 03:47:38 pm »

We've released a devlog today regarding the first post-release week, some of our thoughts on it, what's coming up on the next patch and what's coming up soon™ in form of a Flora Update.

I've played a bit and would like to suggest that crafting buildings automatically produce requirements for buildings and other crafting processes that have been queued up. Also there's a little typo in the population window - very instead of verry.

Very noice. This and a couple other typos fixed for next patch!
The Smart Crafting suggestion is very good. We've discussed it long ago, as our overarching plan with one of the tech-tree branches (currently named Organization) is to open up automated/smart managing options of the colony. It was kinda kept buried in the list, but it seems like a good thing to have sooner rather than later.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2019, 08:45:38 pm »

Meet Achsan. We have this art piece framed in our bedroom wall, and his eyes creep us out in the dark. We're seriously considering printing a version without him and replacing it..

Make him President/Premier Achsan and you might have a winner.  Note I go with those two titles because the suit makes him look more like an elected ashhole than a Monarch or Emperor (usually those guys wear a stupid robe) or a dictator (they usually wear a uniform).

Now, the players may very well see President/Premier Achsan as a dictator.  He might have been elected to a life term upon his father's death, who previously ruled the country.  But he and the Government would officially refer to him as President/Premier.

(FYI, when I think of Prime Ministers, I usually think of old people with bad hairdos.  Not exactly scary looking, although several Prime Ministers were in fact pretty scary folks)

Just my 2 cents on the characters: The more you let the characters invest in the characters, the less expendable they become.  Even customizing their clothes and equipment can create that emotional bond that makes the player slightly less likely to throw them to the grinder.  Are cybernetics a thing in your era?  Expensive training?  Maybe implanting skills, etc via expensive chips?

I'd advise prioritizing at least a prototype of the strategic layer.  Its the part that is new and unique and needs the most time/testing to flesh out.  Which by the way, is pretty interesting.  If you can make a strategic layer where the characters get sent off to use their skills and equipment to throw off the opposition, that would be pretty awesome.  Kinda like Net Gain: Corporate Espionage that never got beyond a prototype.  My one regret is that I didn't have the money to purchase a prototype copy before the project died.  Apparently, there was at least a basic framework set up.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2019, 11:02:54 am »

It's a nice game, movement is appropriately fluid and it looks like there's lots of room for expansion in those menus. I keep thinking of better ways to organize my buildings instead of researching. The pawn AI is a bit rough, but I expected (and accepted) as much in such an early release. And, if the plan is to add better pawn controls through research, well, I warned you that I haven't researched much yet yet!

–Having read this, I thought I would be clever: I built ten ovens, and told the storage system to keep five bread and five pies in stock.
I reached a point when I have two pies made, I'm out of apples, and eight Ovens tasked to make the three missing pies! :-\

–When pressing "1" "2" or "3" while entering a custom stock keeping number, the game speed also changes. Fairly annoying to me, I like my long pauses to be uninterrupted. I changed my controls in the setup menu but a context filter would be appreciated.

–Found a slightly more serious bug that happens if I'm not using stockpiles. It appears that when items are moved to clear ground for a building, the stack is not available for jobs thereafter unless they are taken from a stockpile. I even saw a case where I plopped a stockpile on such a stack, saw four of the Cut Stones taken away, removed the stockpile, and the remainder became unusable again.

Faux-Update: The unusable status appears to have cleared itself when I exited the program and came back again. They immediately started processing boulders that were ignored before the save. So whatever it is, isn't included in the save file.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 11:04:27 am by mightymushroom »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2019, 01:46:24 pm »

Make him President/Premier Achsan and you might have a winner.  Note I go with those two titles because the suit makes him look more like an elected ashhole than a Monarch or Emperor (usually those guys wear a stupid robe) or a dictator (they usually wear a uniform).
Now, the players may very well see President/Premier Achsan as a dictator.  He might have been elected to a life term upon his father's death, who previously ruled the country.  But he and the Government would officially refer to him as President/Premier.
(FYI, when I think of Prime Ministers, I usually think of old people with bad hairdos.  Not exactly scary looking, although several Prime Ministers were in fact pretty scary folks)
Interesting take! I don't think it's too far: There's some context and background as to why things are they way they are (in-universe), such as history of their world always being very steeped in religion.
Unsurprisingly The Communion (Achsan's faction) being very religious, it acts as sort of a Theocracy. With him being the intermediary between the affairs of the mundane and their deities (chosen by this side and the next), and with the events of the previous "age" mixing things up, I'd say it'd be close to a Theocratic Dictatorship - even though the word Dictatorship probably brings the wrong picture to mind in some regards, since he's "chosen by this side and the next".

Just my 2 cents on the characters: The more you let the characters invest in the characters, the less expendable they become.  Even customizing their clothes and equipment can create that emotional bond that makes the player slightly less likely to throw them to the grinder.  Are cybernetics a thing in your era?  Expensive training?  Maybe implanting skills, etc via expensive chips?
At least modified and prototype weapons and equipment is something we've discussed a lot since it matches the vision for the universe. Outer Worlds recently kinda hit close (conceptually) to what I wanted a year ago in regards to the tech-feel, except they went for Fallout, which is not our case. Well, except if you picture things like the Handmade Gauss Rifle and other awkwardly and hastily put together weapons that even though have questionable design and production methods, still get the job effectively done.
Although it's something all of us are very interested in having, at the moment we see it falling under stretch goals, given the size of our scope already without such features.  :-[
Maybe at the end of this dev stage we'll have more clarity to talk about this sort of stuff.

I'd advise prioritizing at least a prototype of the strategic layer.  Its the part that is new and unique and needs the most time/testing to flesh out.  Which by the way, is pretty interesting.  If you can make a strategic layer where the characters get sent off to use their skills and equipment to throw off the opposition, that would be pretty awesome.

There's no hiding things from Bay12ers..  :D This might take a reasonably long while to get to, though.

-snip-
Thank you for the feedback, kind sir! The team is stalking & lurking this forum and thread, so they often get to the replies and discuss/investigate the stuff before I do.
When it comes to research and pawn controls, it's more about having a progression into a less micro-y playstyle through it (and also letting people choose how micro they wanna be). There's not a whole lot that demonstrate that just yet, other than the auto-planting/harvesting and the priority screen. We hope to make the AI less rough (and cooler) over time though, and that wouldn't really be tied to research projects.
And thank you for the bug report - Out of those 3 issues, one is likely already fixed by the crafting logic improvements, and the other two will be looked at and hopefully show up in next week's build!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 01:49:50 pm by Gabeux »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2019, 07:06:15 pm »

Hm, maybe the title Counselor would be sufficiently creepy...

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2019, 10:31:12 pm »

We've put out a new build today and published a devlog, that includes a changelog.
Hopefully this patch addresses all the feedback from here and Discord. But do let us know of any feedback or issues you bump into, it really helps shifting priorities!

It's very likely things will slow down a bit as each pair of our 4-dev team go into holidays on similar dates, so we're kinda asynchronously working in pairs in different things. The first content update (Flora) started being implemented, but due to the holidays it may take a bit longer than usual (that we are used to ourselves, at least) to have it ready. After that we might go for visual Pawn stuff, like body types, hairs and so on.

One of our devs also reported that my name generator managed to generate a.. questionable.. name, and I think the odds of that exact word generating must've been 0.001% or something, and I had never got anything even close to it in my own testing. Guess once I come back from a short trip I'll have to add a filter/censor..
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 11:14:31 pm by Gabeux »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2019, 03:55:03 am »

We've put out a new build today and published a devlog, that includes a changelog.
Hopefully this patch addresses all the feedback from here and Discord. But do let us know of any feedback or issues you bump into, it really helps shifting priorities!

It's very likely things will slow down a bit as each pair of our 4-dev team go into holidays on similar dates, so we're kinda asynchronously working in pairs in different things. The first content update (Flora) started being implemented, but due to the holidays it may take a bit longer than usual (that we are used to ourselves, at least) to have it ready. After that we might go for visual Pawn stuff, like body types, hairs and so on.

One of our devs also reported that my name generator managed to generate a.. questionable.. name, and I think the odds of that exact word generating must've been 0.001% or something, and I had never got anything even close to it in my own testing. Guess once I come back from a short trip I'll have to add a filter/censor..

Nah, you should keep it.  Its a medical term, after all.  :P

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2019, 04:28:53 am »

Interesting game. I noticed sometimes you will start a bit isolated from the rest of the map. More specifically where I first started there was no apple trees.

I've also found something of a bug, when a colonist is hauling ore or coal then gets interrupted by something, the smelter will get stuck and become unusable. The current work around is dismantle then rebuild.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 11:02:19 am by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2019, 11:33:35 pm »

I haven't posted here again as there were not much of substantial cool news to notify about, and there still kinda isn't (cool news being releases). But due to end-of-year slowdowns and likelihood of some more time without cool news, I better give a little update.  :P

• Since I last posted there where two new devlogs (DevLog #3 - Rough Roadmap and DevLog #4 - Tutorial Explained).
  • In summary, we've been working on the next Update (Flora & Farm), but the holidays' season is really slowing everyone down a lot, so I'm not sure it will come out this year.
  • We've also put out a Rough Roadmap on Trello to give a little insight on future developments and intentions. I add more stuff there from time to time as the picture get clearer.
  • We are sort of settling on a development process of working on "Content Updates" that take around 2 (or 3, hopefully, at max) months each to make, then taking the feedback/reports and putting out bugfixes and tweaks, while prepping and moving on to the next Update. There might also be cases where the Artist will be pushing a future update while the coders are still working on the current one, and so on, but right now everyone is on board on the same stuff.
  • Today Nookrium (Youtuber) did a video on the game, so if anyone is curious about the project, we found it very cool. Stuff like this helps (and motivates!) us a lot.

Nah, you should keep it.  Its a medical term, after all.  :P
Almost everyone I asked prefer to keep it without censors/filters, which is funny. I've kept it without censors for now, as there were no reports of it misbehaving. Rest assured that in the future we'll let people rename pawns and there won't be censors/filters to that, since really this is a singleplayer game and we have nothing to do with how the people want to play their game. Censor/filters would only be applied to genned names.

Interesting game. I noticed sometimes you will start a bit isolated from the rest of the map. More specifically where I first started there was no apple trees.

I've also found something of a bug, when a colonist is hauling ore or coal then gets interrupted by something, the smelter will get stuck and become unusable. The current work around is dismantle then rebuild.

Thanks etgfrog for the feedback! I'm hoping with the next update, the generation becomes a bit more generous, especially as there will be more food sources (5 I think) than now. We kinda really want to keep a survivalist vibe at the start though, but we did bump into stuff that is incorrect, like maps that make the crates unreachable. I believe that was fixed.
The Unusable Smelter bug, we couldn't reproduce for a long while for whatever reason, then one of us accidentally triggered it and now we have a save with it - maybe it'll help with a fix. I'm hoping soon we add some sort of Bug Report feature in-game to make throwing that sort of info at us really fast.

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2020, 06:36:08 pm »

Sounds great, good luck!

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2020, 06:06:41 am »

Aaand January is gone.
I've just posted a new DevLog that showcases and mentions a bunch of stuff that will be included in the update, and some talk regarding an Experimental Version. The previous DevLog also quickly shows the new look for the Action menu (Order, Build, Zone).
We're hoping to release the update sometime this February - at the end of it, at worst.

There was of course a little bit of a feature creep once we got the intended content in..after the whole lot of new items were added, it became instantly clear that the Storage (and Crafting) screen needed some way to show what a single crafting table could make, and that crafting tables needed buttons to instantly open up their crafting options. So we added filters, both by word and by crafting table (it reminds me of Minecraft's NEI or JEI mod a little bit).
But then we realized (what we already had imagined) that the Filter screen overhaul would need to come now instead of later.
And then one day I got triggered by seeing a solar panel in some movie, drew a weird rectangle in my notebook and brought it very close to my waifu artist face, and a couple days later we got our first object with some sort of animation, along with some added smooth stuff for power production.

Who'd think running the game at 100X the speed would skip an animation step

We've also added the ability to smooth stone walls and floors for more dorfy-minded individuals.
That's it for now.  :D

-

Sounds great, good luck!
Thank you, kind sir. We'll take all the good wishes we can get.  :P

« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 06:10:42 am by Gabeux »
Pages: 1 [2] 3