Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Amalgam: Matching 14x14 and 10x18 Sets w/ Graphics - Based on Taffer  (Read 4409 times)

mwanafalsafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

First and foremost, credit goes to Taffer for much of the design in this set.
Many tiles are closely based on or directly copied from his sets. If it looks like a tile is based on one of Taffer’s tiles, you can assume it was.

When I started working on this project, I merely wanted to update Taffer’s 20x20 set to incorporate designs from his 9x9 sets (without merely doubling the set to 18x18).

Over the last few weeks I continued to experiment with different sizes, for the most part using either Taffer or Curses as a baseline.

I think that I’ve done enough work for this set to warrant it’s own name. Additionally, I hope to continue working on this; and I expect the design to become more and more my own over time, especially when additional graphic options come out with DF on Steam.

This is the result. Two matching sets: 14x14 and 10x18.

The 14x14 set is for ‘in-game’ tiles. It can be paired with the 10x18 set for text using TWBT. (You can use the 14x14 set without TWBT if you can tolerate some weirdness with some of the punctuation tiles.) There are two versions of the 14x14 set.

The primary version includes black to (IMHO) improve the look of barrels, bins, and engraved floors and walls. Note: To avoid slightly mismatched shades of black, the RGB values of BLACK in your color scheme should be set to 0,0,0. For those who prefer it, I have included an alternative version without the black.

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

Previews:

Color Scheme: Lee v2, (with BLACK at 0,0,0):

Color Scheme: Taffer Pastel New (with BLACK at 0,0,0, and YELLOW made to look a bit more gold):

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

Note: if you install these manually - without a LNP - in your d_init.txt file, PILLAR TILE should be 255, and the four TREE PILLAR tiles should be 171.

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

This set also includes graphics for the five major races. These, again are inspired by Taffer’s dwarven Ds. Though I think I can safely take credit for the little helmets, crowns, and skulls.

The graphics file also includes alternative options (though you’ll have to edit your own raws to use these):
1) letters with little Ws, Ns, and UDs in place of headwear
2) Taffer-esque faces.

Download from DFFD

« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 05:05:48 pm by mwanafalsafa »

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Amalgam: Matching 14x14 and 10x18 Sets w/ Graphics - Based on Taffer
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 11:59:09 am »

Looks good! I like the crowns and helmets to differentiate the dwarves, and the ground looks particularly nice IMO. I especially like seeing a set with the 'dorfletters' expanded to the other humanoids, like in one of my previews.

BiroBucsan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Amalgam: Matching 14x14 and 10x18 Sets w/ Graphics - Based on Taffer
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 03:07:19 pm »

I really liked your set, especially the font (very readable). The only thing that was a turn off for me was the grass/rough stone tiles. I had a hard time seeing things that sit above them for they are a little dense and full. But all the rest is just incredible, great job!