Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Navigate Settlements  (Read 1979 times)

Gilead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Navigate Settlements
« on: November 25, 2019, 04:58:23 pm »

So, I am new to Adventure Mode, and I find it very difficult to navigate settlements.

I can find my way in a Dwarf fortress (because I found a good guide on that), but human hamlets and elf forest retreats are harder.

I was on my way to a forest retreat to deal with criminals there, but when I got on site, I found only a forest. Lots of trees, I climbed to the canopy, got back on the ground, climbed another tree, and so on for quite a while and no sign of civilization. So I gave up and went to the nearest settlement that was not a forest retreat: A human settlement.

I got there, got in the first house for some info about a bandit I had heard about. The guy I asked told me that an other guy in the mead hall would know the location I was seeking. So I went all around the hamlet, looking for maybe a house with some tables and chairs? But all the houses are the same, no furniture to differentiate them. Am I suppose to ask in every house if this is the mead hall?

I am quite lost, and I think maybe Adventure Mode is not for me.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Navigate Settlements
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 07:15:02 pm »

Mead hall is the big building on the outskirts of town usually. Easily spotted on the fast travel map.

Elves in trees can be spotted by looking up and down a few z levels, you don't need to climb yourself. Could be that it's an abandoned forest retreat. Abandoned towns are more easily noticed because they're full of ruined buildings, forest retreats less so, because they're essentially an unfinished site type.

Again fast travel map is useful, you can see where the main locations of the forest retreat are.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 07:16:47 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: Navigate Settlements
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 09:49:22 pm »

In a forest retreat turn ambusher on (S) -> (s) so you can see vision arcs, and then like Shonai_Dweller mentioned (l)ook, then < to move up z-levels, if you see someone's arc.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)