Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Google Stadia - Your thoughts in general about stream gaming?  (Read 2731 times)

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
Re: Google Stadia - Your thoughts in general about stream gaming?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2019, 10:05:01 pm »

Do you actually have any sources for these claims?
I could not find any statistics in a quick search, but I had been under the impression for a while now that unlimited data was very much the standard for home internet in most densely populated areas.
I also would not expect the bandwidth usage of streaming services to be as 'crazy' as you describe.

I'm pretty sure here in the States every ISP describes their internet as "unlimited" but will be upset with you if you use too much. My understanding is that my "unlimited" internet from Comcast is actually 1TB/month, for example. My three person household uses like 800 of that, dunno how much more Stadia wants, but it seems plausible that Comcast might object to me using one extensively, on top of our current usage.

Although I would agree that input delay is a much bigger issue than bandwidth. My point mostly being that "unlimited" isn't as limitless as it might seem.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 10:06:55 pm by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2019, 10:23:35 pm »

IIRC a few years ago, Cox Cable had bandwidth and usage caps as part of their plans. Not sure if that's still the case.

Phone plans and some low, low end business internet is also bandwidth and/or usage capped.

Also if the bandwidth of Stadia is about what Netflix is, that potentially represents a doubling of peoples' bandwidth consumption. (My roommate habitually streams movies while he games. Or say a family was streaming Netflix as a group for family night but then the youngern gets Stadia and is playing Stadia while they're streaming.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2019, 11:22:22 pm »

the pricing and model is terrifying, why would anyone but games on this platform only to lose everything when the service is cancelled?

there are plenty platforms where you can play games out of the our existing library already, this seems just a massive step back

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2019, 02:41:45 am »

Stadia can chew through 1Tb in about 60 hours. That's just 2 hours daily each month. Prepare to pay out the nose. Or spend about 500 dollars one time to build a fairly decent gaming PC from scratch.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2019, 03:23:17 am »

or a console. this thing has a limited catalogue, so it's not even a remote pc, it's more like a remote console.

also the moment the traffic spikes asthe software gets traction, the isp will start the "netflix dance" about peering agreements and whatnot. can't really see google providing the free tier for free for long.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 03:54:32 am by LoSboccacc »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2019, 08:22:19 am »

Stadia can chew through 1Tb in about 60 hours. That's just 2 hours daily each month. Prepare to pay out the nose. Or spend about 500 dollars one time to build a fairly decent gaming PC from scratch.
That's also max quality (about 16 gb down per hour*), apparently. Recommended minimum looks to be around 3-4 gb per hour, which, as mentioned, is about on par with what netflix runs for HD. Still not super great, but not unusually bandwidth destroying, either.

* Which, fairness where it's due, sounds fucking insane and what the hell are they doing?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2019, 09:18:04 am »

This has been a reality in the console market forever. Can't afford to pay "X" for the console to get access to the games? Buy used or GTFO.

To be fair, Google's end goal is "you still pay the same amount of money, then we close down and release the new version of the service, and charge you again for any game you still want to play."

You don't want a streaming service for anything that has to have decent visuals and at the same time have a consistent speed for multiple people. MMOs or fighting games are probably the worst type of game for streaming, solo puzzle games are probably the best. Netflix already goes into potato mode to avoid lag, and can't always keep up then.  People in the same city as Google's servers are getting lag (but as paid reviewers, at least tried to hide the problem in the videos), because that's part of how the internet functions. Can you imagine trying to play a game where your graphics just suddenly downgrade and then you're forced to buffer while you're being attacked?

also the moment the traffic spikes asthe software gets traction, the isp will start the "netflix dance" about peering agreements and whatnot. can't really see google providing the free tier for free for long.

Good news! Google's rival AT&T controls a lot of the backbones you'll need to cross to get access, and has gotten the FCC to say they can throttle whatever they say they need to for any reason.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2019, 11:11:21 am »

So far, for me at least, it's been great but I am lucky enough to have very speedy internet I suppose, and no data cap. I've played many hours of RDR2 on computer and on my TV.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2019, 12:32:08 pm »

Most of the US, which Google is based in, has shitty internet with data caps and hidden fees. At the very least Stadia should never have been rushed to market.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2019, 01:47:04 pm »

Most of the US, which Google is based in, has shitty internet with data caps and hidden fees. At the very least Stadia should never have been rushed to market.

Or should never have been marketed in a backwards shithole country without reasonable internet relative to other ways of getting video games.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2019, 01:56:58 pm »

Or should never have been marketed in a backwards shithole country without reasonable internet relative to other ways of getting video games.

Sucking money out of the poors is the American way (among the wealthy).

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2019, 02:42:38 pm »

Also, monopolizing as hard as you possibly can before getting declared a monopoly, then using money to make the last 2% legal.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2019, 03:02:16 pm »

It's like that interview with a government cyberwarfare guy I was listening to... after their initial operation of stealing their target's info, they're running a more subtle campaign: Resetting passwords, cancelling accounts, interrupting uploads, erasing random files and emails, slowing their connection, and just generally being a nuisance in ways that can't be explicitly pointed to as hostile influence.

Or as I put it, 'normal'.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: 1 [2]