Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modelling (of the scale variety) thread!  (Read 2624 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Modelling (of the scale variety) thread!
« on: November 29, 2019, 07:07:00 am »

Right, been meaning to do this for a while now since I've been kinda dipping my toes into the scale stuff with gundam kits for the past year or so and finally decided to divebomb the deep end with a tank kit I ordered today (because hey, 30% off is a pretty good deal for something you were gonna get eventually anyways). I also have a plane kit on the way but that thing is running way late and I have no idea if it'll even arrive tbh.

Anyways, that stuff out of the way, this is hopefully gonna be a thread for sharing shit you make, be it wargaming minis, scale models of whatever or scratchbuilt stuff even. Generally, anything you put together using your hands I guess. Sharing tips and advice would also be welcome since those are always good (and nobody likes fucking up an expensive kit just because they had no idea a specific thing is best done a specific way).

As far as my own collection goes, it's at three gundams atm, one no-grade 1/100 Barbatos Lupus and two 1/144 RG kits (Zephyrantes and 00 Raiser), don't have time to get some pics up atm since I'm leaving for work soon but I'll try and get something by the end of the weekend. And I gotta say, the way Bandai does these is amazing, the amount of engineering and gimmickry in the RG line is mindblowing. It does lead to some wonky parts at times and you gotta be careful when handling some of them but the detail and articulation is pretty damn great for something so small. I'm definitely looking forward to getting more of them because putting these together is such a fun and relaxing experience.

So, what about the rest of you fine folk, any particular part of this hobby that you enjoy or would like to enjoy?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Modelling (of the scale variety) thread!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 09:35:28 pm »

Well, I just finished this model base for school which got me thinking about scale models again!

Babby's first terrain really, but I learned quite a bit from this.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 04:00:28 am »

I've been wanting to work on some kind of a model recently, but I haven't decided what I want to build yet.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 10:18:33 am »

@Urist, that looks nice, makes me think of 80's kid adventure movies, or something like Stranger Things. What exactly is going on there tho, they found a bunker of some sort or something?

Anyways, finally managed to get some photos (having broken light fixtures, working day shifts and it being winter makes for a hard time getting good lighting for photos).

Link to the imgur album since there's multiple rather large photos.

Other than that, still waiting on the new kits to arrive so I can dive into that, afterwards, probably in January, gonna give painting a try, see how that goes.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 02:05:25 pm »

Its just a base for a model that didn't get built, I figure ill use it for something else!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 07:21:16 am »

Well don't mind me I'll just sub this.

I did try my hand on 2 WW2 plane models I bought at our store... My painting is so atrociously bad I'll refrain from embarrassing myself with pictures. I actually wanted to gift them to my dad to build as finger agility exercise (he had an bad accident some years back and allways liked WW2 planes, and was a tinkerer) but he didn't show that much interest so I went ahead and just built them myself. But sometimes I think about getting that Haunebu II from Revell, put some spacey neon colors nebulas on it, then trash it with a few funny bad cybernazipunk graffitis (idk puns like "lieber reich ins Heim als heim ins Reich)... As some sort of ridiculous decoration to put up between the bass speaker and the ceilingwindow that allows me to look at the stars from my bed. But I definitly lack the skill to go invest like 60 bucks in the set and good colors.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 07:32:11 am by dragdeler »
let