Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is the stupidest thing you've Done In fortress mode  (Read 2991 times)

Swordbomb101

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Brubs
    • View Profile
What is the stupidest thing you've Done In fortress mode
« on: November 30, 2019, 04:24:20 pm »

BRUH
F*** logic I have Potashroom Vodka

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the stupidest thing you've Done In fortress mode
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 07:09:14 pm »

When renovating my central staircase, I accidentally capped it off with regular up stairs instead of up/down stairs. The result was me sealing off all but one of my dwarves from ALL the food and booze. I had to ask for help on the forums while I DFhacked my dwarves to keep them from dying.

As another thing, I decided to make a well near where I was putting my hospital. The stupid part was diverting water from a nearby stream to said well when the stream was a few z-levels above it.

BigIndianFish

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 02:27:01 pm »

My hospital was two floors above my tavern, so I thought I'd have a water reservoir right on top of my tavern so I could have a well in my hospital. That went about as well as you'd expect, a stone block from a deconstructed wall fell inside, piercing a hole in the bottom of the reservoir and filling up my tavern with water ( they were the exact same size and filled 7/7 ).

bruh moment

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 06:30:30 pm »

I forgot to stay on top how much booze I had. Winter came, the stream froze over...

The Great Thirst killed 80 percent of my fort.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

axemangeorge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 09:16:56 am »

Urist McPasteur, chief medical dwarf, became convinced he'd developed a vaccine to prevent lycanthropy and tested it out on three wounded survivors of a weremoose attack.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 10:17:04 am »

I built a water reservoir that was fed by a river.

The levers controlling the floodgates to fill the reservoir were underground.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 04:43:50 pm »

Dwarfs dying because a dump zone was created adjacent to a "downward ramp". It is practically a tradition in my forts and has happened about 5 times after I should have learned the lesson.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

carnivorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 07:15:50 pm »

Every single time I build an aboveground fortress I forget that bridges can be built next to but don't provide any support, and I frequently use them as interim roofs. Dumbest example? Accidentally punching through the center of four layers of elaborately crafted castle directly into the nursery burrow while replacing a bridge roof, killing about half my adult dwarves and all but one child. Second dumbest example? Just did it again yesterday. :-[

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 07:16:38 pm »

I hollowed out a large room just under a lake. Then I constructed some walls to partition off part of the room. Then I decided to remove one of the constructed walls, to relocate a doorway. This also removed the ceiling above it, of course.

My dwarves were now ecstatic sharing their fort with a waterfall.
Never pet a burning dog.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 04:39:30 pm »

The stupidest thing I've ever done was underestimate the prodigious ferocity of a pack of giant honey badgers, and the sheer carnage they could enact upon a full Dwarven squadron with war dogs

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 10:51:45 pm »

I wanted to build a doomsday lever to flood the fortress with magma in the event of a total loss, with a safe panic room and a drain at the bottom. It was engineered just fine, except that I didn't think about the fact that the floodgates would have to be made out of something magma safe instead of just using one of the wooden ones I had left over from building the fortress' waterworks. I also didn't account for the interaction between the magma and the fort's wells. I didn't lose everyone, but by the time I noticed what was happening (from all the messages about people burning to death) and sent everyone to cover it was too late. Only about two dozen dwarves actually survived, most of whom were part of the construction crew working on smoothing it and hauling in furniture. Luckily the drain still worked, so besides having to replace all the furniture the damage to fortress infrastructure was pretty minimal.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 10:53:25 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 08:25:11 am »

I wanted to build a doomsday lever to flood the fortress with magma in the event of a total loss, with a safe panic room and a drain at the bottom. It was engineered just fine, except that I didn't think about the fact that the floodgates would have to be made out of something magma safe instead of just using one of the wooden ones I had left over from building the fortress' waterworks. I also didn't account for the interaction between the magma and the fort's wells. I didn't lose everyone, but by the time I noticed what was happening (from all the messages about people burning to death) and sent everyone to cover it was too late. Only about two dozen dwarves actually survived, most of whom were part of the construction crew working on smoothing it and hauling in furniture. Luckily the drain still worked, so besides having to replace all the furniture the damage to fortress infrastructure was pretty minimal.
Pretty ironic that the construction crew of a doomsday device survived, usually it's the other way around. I guess the rest of the fort's accidental sacrifice must have balanced out the Fort's demand for shenaniganery and blood

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 08:53:28 am »

After waiting two years for a siege to show up, and after allowing them to slaughter the dwarves caravan just so they could get to my cage traps, I finally got a goblin to act as bait for my silk farm.

In my excitement, I forgot to take away his crossbow.

Feathermind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2020, 08:50:40 pm »

Draft every adult dwarf into the military to force them to wear uniforms instead of clothes without ensuring there were enough uniforms to actually clothe them all.  This was back in v0.34 and the resulting nudity-induced tantrum spiral reduced my fortress from a 200+ strong framerate killer to a desolate ruin with only a dozen or so surviving able-bodied dwarves.

Dragofire

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified genius and snek lover.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 01:32:06 pm »

Made all of my female kobolds breed four times each and crashing the game when a set of quadruplets went over the child cap and corrupting the save too. ALL MASTERWORK KOBOLD PLAYERS: WARNING. DO NOT ORDER YOUR KOBOLDS TO BREED SEVERAL TIMES EACH, IT WILL CORRUPT YOUR SAVE. I HAVE ALREADY LOST THREE FORTS TO THIS GLITCH.
My Stuff
My Dragon Cave Scroll
We could just lie on all of our maps, or we could flood Europe.
The standard sense of Mario is that he won't murder someone but isn't good enough to not smash bugs. This is engraved into everyone’s mind.
There was one slight problem with the climb, and that was the spontaneous combustion.
Pages: [1] 2