Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries: In Production  (Read 13548 times)

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries: In Production
« Reply #120 on: December 11, 2019, 12:27:59 pm »

Never dis a swayback, those buggers will melt your arms off before you can finish your sentence.

The LRM one's a little lame.

Also, I'll dis the fact that the heavy PPC exists yet there was never a hunchback variant that used one.
Oh dang, just had a re-read of the sarna entry and now I realize swayback refers to a collection of variants rather than just the 4p like I thought.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 11, 2019, 01:48:51 pm »

Oh dang, just had a re-read of the sarna entry and now I realize swayback refers to a collection of variants rather than just the 4p like I thought.

I think it's closer to all but on (the one with the AC/20.) Still some exceptions, but closer.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 11, 2019, 03:40:58 pm »

i posted a while back before i accepted the meme into my life, wow how development of this has gone. from 2016 to 2019, but hey, it looks good and i had a blast with the last mercenaries game, 4. will be buying at some point.

im a simple guy, i value effectiveness per dollar and at the price, i loved the argus. a simple heavy design it was cheap and could mount enough to lay the hurt on, with dual laser banks in the center, a gauss in the ballistic and a basic mrm or lrm in the missle. i could arm my lance mates with them and clear the duel with the jade falcons.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 13, 2019, 11:49:11 am »

so, gave this a try. never seen gfx more shitty then this game with medium or low anti aliasing. i have no idea what or why,  but it will put some really ugly rasterization over everything. on high aa everything is blurry as fuck.
though the terrain looks decent (not great), at times buildings look like ripped out of tomb rider 1 (especially on medium range).
gameplay sucks too. there is no variety in missions, spawns will just randomly pop up within 20m of the player, the maps are 100% randomly generated - with poor results. like, a small part of the terrain will be radomly generated, tiled and repeated 16x on a map.
story is bland, voice acting is wooden. there are no noteworthy characters.

2/10 for effort and not crashing. big disappointment.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 11:55:01 am by motorbitch »

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #124 on: December 13, 2019, 06:24:49 pm »

I think the combat for me is still enough fun to tilt the balance to the 'enjoyable' scale, even with weird graphical features.  Some laser fire against armor you can literally see the flecks of molten as opposed to it being drops or something. The building destruction I'm sure was hard to implement. Although fun, it looks the same after awhile. Very firm Meh so far. Hoping they match/mod it to glory, but I don't know.

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 13, 2019, 10:23:17 pm »

The spawn mechanics are so fucking bad. Really bad. Pop up in your face bad. It just wipes out any tactical level of play. Enemies seem to spawn in at both intervals and triggers, and within a certain radius of your mechs. It can lead to situations of mechs and vehicles attacking from a place you passed through 20 seconds ago.

AI in the game is poor, and it feels like most of the bad spawn mechanics are there just to hide this. Target fixation and bad pathing are really noticeable.

Mech piloting is okay. I've played MW mainly on a m&kb throughout the years, and there probably isn't any better way of doing it than the way MW games have been doing it over the last few games. MW5 pretty much keeps to that standard.

Equipping mechs feels a bit restricted, but loadout rules have changed many times since the birth of Battledroids. (This may be the norm in current TT rules, I've been away for a bit).

As others have said, graphics are... fuzzy? Blurred? It feels more like bad communication between the engine and the assets rather than a fault with either. When it first loaded in I thought it was set at 720p. I imagine some tweaks and shaders will surface soon.

The story is pulp revenge tale, and I'm okay with that; I wasn't heading in to this game for a page turner. Voice acting is okay, and that guy who did Adam Jensen in the new Deus Ex games has a character. In-mission soundbites are nothing special, and lance mate call-outs are distinct enough to give information about what's happening on the field.

Overall, this is a mech arcade game rather than a mech sim. The spawning is so bad though... Really bad.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 13, 2019, 10:42:55 pm »

After two hot fixes, the game now only crashes like half the time, instead of 90% of the time for me, so... that's progress!

I also enjoy the novelty of having a game that looks better after you set your graphics to the lowest possible settings.

Edit: Another thing that really annoys me is how all the variants are just copied from MWO. While it makes sense to put the MAD-5D Marauder in MWO, it seems pretty damn dumb for them to not make a MAD-3D variant for a game set in 3015. MWO has all the dynamic weapon geo already made for all the 3025 Archers, but since the MWO variants are all out of timeline except for the 2R, this game only features that one single variant. No 2S, 2W, or 2K for you...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 01:04:47 am by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 14, 2019, 01:48:44 am »

Huh. You know I was really expecting to to find things that would ruin the game for me all over the place. But even though it is a bit stripped down compared to some prior entries (no falling down, no engine parts, lacks FMV video, etc) I am actually having a fun time as someone whose earliest gaming experience was mechwarrior 2 when six. It might be missing a bit, but it's nice to have a half-decent number entry in the series.

Plus they are adding mod support soon and I am super giddy about what might come of that.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 14, 2019, 09:36:32 am »

Plus they are adding mod support soon and I am super giddy about what might come of that.

Just noting that the roguetech team's current position is that they won't do modding for MW5 (over anger about EGS). They (by far!) aren't the only battletech modders out there, of course, but worth being aware of.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]