Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Screen UI  (Read 1249 times)

Thiccarus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Military Screen UI
« on: December 03, 2019, 01:52:00 am »

Hi everybody. 

I'm just posting here because a common problem I seem to run into is dwarves not picking up all of their armor and stuff, and as a result get injured.  I have been told their max carry cap is dependent on their strength, and that makes enough sense, but there's no way for me to check the total weight of the armor they're wearing, what they want to wear, compared to their total carry cap.  So my suggestion is this:  In the military equip screen or maybe in the dwarf inventory you get from v-i, display all three numbers.  And while I'm on the military screen UI, it'd be great if there were some symbols to let me know my dwarf was weak, quick to tire, flimsy, got sick easily, or was undisciplined.  Thoughts?

P.S.
Sorry if this has been posted before, it's my first day on this forum.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military Screen UI
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 08:21:41 pm »

I'm just posting here because a common problem I seem to run into is dwarves not picking up all of their armor and stuff, and as a result get injured.  I have been told their max carry cap is dependent on their strength...

You have been misinformed. Any dwarf can tote a caged bronze colossus across the fortress; a suit of armor is quite portable by comparison.

Typical problems equipping dwarves can be found on the wiki.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 09:01:39 pm »

I'm just posting here because a common problem I seem to run into is dwarves not picking up all of their armor and stuff, and as a result get injured.  I have been told their max carry cap is dependent on their strength...

You have been misinformed. Any dwarf can tote a caged bronze colossus across the fortress; a suit of armor is quite portable by comparison.

Being encumbered seems like a nice indicator to have, but it may be misleading. Increased armor skill decreases the amount that armor encumbers a dwarf. So, you might be fooled into thinking you have too much armor, when in fact all you need to do is wait for a couple of sparring lessons and they'll have gotten used to it.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 03:04:58 am »

Issues with fitting armor are easily fixed. It just takes a ban (forbid them and sell them) on some cloth pieces in fortress. Then manually assign each piece of weapons, shields and armor to a particular position in a squad. Tedious a bit, but it can be done.

The uniform bug for woodcutters, miners and hunters can cause drops of lots of items from such dwarves at times, when they stop training.

Ther issue imho is actually the m-military/alert and s-squad UI.

These both menus are somehow currently , clustered together,  messed up, dysfunctional and missing sorting and detailed info and so on.
Setting and then consequently toggling alarm ON/OFF for civilians is odd and working counter-intuitively.
It is somehow combined with military training, which should be switched ON/OFF separately for each squad imho.
Furthermore army chief and army personell are assigned in n-nobility screen, which can bug out personell assignments in squads in m-military menu.
Fixed officer positions, should be highlighted maybe and their accidental removal in m-menu from their position by miss-click blocked maybe?
DF also needs general military training in barracks for civilian dwarves, who will go psycho kill&suicide, without military training.
Baracks also should be a zone, like pasture, so you don't need a furniture to set baracks immediately upon arrival to an embark.

I better stop... I do not want cause depression in Toady about how much there can be still to do, on top adding new content.
Though, an overhaul of these menus and bugs could be alone, called as a... brand new content for dwarven military! :)
Just a thought.

Thiccarus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 07:55:00 pm »

Being encumbered seems like a nice indicator to have, but it may be misleading. Increased armor skill decreases the amount that armor encumbers a dwarf. So, you might be fooled into thinking you have too much armor, when in fact all you need to do is wait for a couple of sparring lessons and they'll have gotten used to it.

What about an indicator that they're wearing more armor than they're leveled for, then?  With all the things that can go wrong with armor it'd be nice to have at least this one thing be flagged. 

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 09:20:22 pm »

What about an indicator that they're wearing more armor than they're leveled for, then?  With all the things that can go wrong with armor it'd be nice to have at least this one thing be flagged.
It's fine, makes the game look pretty, but you've gotta ask who it's for. Noobs will mistake it for something urgent that needs to be addressed by handing out less armour. Anyone else will ignore it. Slow moving dwarf=heavy load is pretty easy to notice and goes away with a couple of training sessions. A military dwarf in light armour holding a bronze colossus in a cage will also light up as over-encumbered which might be confusing.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 10:02:03 pm »

I believe the formula works differently; and the level at which armor slows a dwarf is always greater than 0% and always less than 100%. So, there is no point of "too much", there is just some amount of "slowed by nn%".

Armor slows a dwarf for two reasons, the armor's weight and the restriction of movement. Armor User skill reduces, but does not eliminate the effect of the movement restriction, and has no effect on the weight.

A dwarf's base movement speed is based mostly on agility, and the ratio of their strength to their carried weight will further effect their movement speed.

Consider what Shonai_Dweller posted about just needing a few sparring lessons... Gaining about 15 different levels in the fighting skills will significantly increase strength and agility, increasing the dwarf's speed while hauling metal bars or while wearing armor. A "very weak" dwarf may move up to "average" strength.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?