Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embarking as a Fallen Civ bug??  (Read 895 times)

DoubleG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embarking as a Fallen Civ bug??
« on: December 05, 2019, 12:03:26 am »

I am trying once again to build a perfect fortress in a split biome volcano embark. This time I have been very careful in choosing the site, civilisation and other stuff.

The civilisation I want to embark as, "The Spear of Living", is not available as a choice. Legends mode lists it as a alive civ with two sites. I carefully read through the list of civilisations available and in the place where my preferred civ shoulod be is another civ, "The Lean Sabres" who are listed as a Fallen Civ (they were wiped out by goblins over 120 years ago) I don't get any warnings when I choose them and according to the civ screen they have a king and everything.

Is this a bug and should I perhaps just choose another civ?? I would prefer the living spear as the name is pretty cool and their gods seem sensible, but I can't seem to find any way to select them at all at embark. Any advice on civilisation choice would be appreciated.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking as a Fallen Civ bug??
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 04:35:56 am »

DF is rather buggy when it comes to dead and "struggling" civs. The internal accounting gets bugged and civs that are dead from any reasonable point of view (such as no sites and no hist figs for 1000 years, etc.) are often still "struggling".

The logic for selection of which civs you can embark as seems to cull all dead civs if there is a single non dead one, i.e. all dwarven civs have to be dead for a dead one to appear (and that's after the bug that causes most of the dead ones not to be recognized as such has caused those to appear). In addition to that, some "struggling" civs are also removed from the set from which you can select, but I don't know why.

The permit_dead script from this thread http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=165084.msg7526484#msg7526484 adds the dead playable civs to the list of civs you can select at embark.

DoubleG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 09:38:31 am »

Thanks, Just what I was looking for. :) I think I'm starting to get the hang of these LUA scripts. Got the move site script to work previously as well. Feel on a roll. ;)

DoubleG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 09:45:11 am »

Hhmmmmm, got the script to work, but it only gives me one extra dwarf civilisation to embark as, "The National Road". I try and run it again and it does nothing. Need to learn a bit more it seems.... :/

The text does add "Struggling civs culled by DF from the list are not added." I'm guessing "The Living Spear" is struggling and has been culled by DF.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 09:47:40 am by DoubleG »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 11:49:25 am »

I would assume so. It sounds like you're interested in trying to get to grips with Lua scripts, so it would be an exercise to modify the script to add the other missing civs to the list. I haven't looked at the script for a long time, but except the modification to be rather simple.

DoubleG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 01:03:01 pm »

My skills at C++ or any coding is copy pasting from the internet. :P I've gone with a different civ. The Living Spear guys only had 42 dwarves left at 2 sites. The new guys I choose have 62 at 1 site. Very close difference so I'm not sure why one was culled and not the other. Not a big difference really.

I've got it all set up. Strike the Earth!!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 04:24:10 am »

It sounded like a slightly higher coding proficiency. I've hacked the script, without testing it, so it should add all playable civs that aren't already listed, regardless of whether they ought to be dead or not. The changes were essentially to remove the bits that intended to check that a civ ought to be dead before adding it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DoubleG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 09:02:13 am »

Awesome, thanks. I probably won't use it now as I've started the new embark and have planned out a lot of the layout already. Plus 42 dwarfs is a little too few. Don't want to get a king straight away. LAzy nobles. :P

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 11:17:26 am »

The numbers doesn't say much about when you'd get a monarch. If there isn't one when you embark, you run the risk of getting saddled with one rather quickly (you might possibly be lucky and have the monarch end up in another site, but that doesn't seem to happen often). If there is one, you're probably be saddled with a replacement as soon as the current one kicks the bucket, which typically is caused by that site being invaded. If it's out of the way of the enemy, with closer, juicier targets, you have the luxury of many years without that burden, if you're lucky.