Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Preists as mobile religious prayer sites  (Read 932 times)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Preists as mobile religious prayer sites
« on: December 03, 2019, 12:10:29 pm »

I've had many dwarves either tied up or caged due to the justice system, or restricted to the hospital due to injuries who have a bad thought about not being able to pray to their deity.  A thought came to me: Why not add the ability to "counsel believers" by adding the ability to commune with a deity every time a dwarf talks to a priest of their deity?  It could be tied to the "giving water" mechanic which already applies to both prisoners and wounded.  Furthermore, regular conversations with priests of a correct pantheon would help idle dwarves to get another boost to their moods by allowing that to be a chance to "commune with their gods" as well.  Preists talking among themselves would be a mutual benefit, which would explain why monasteries and the like even exist in World-gen.

Preists as authority figures could be used to be cried on as well as provide religious counseling, which would make an administrator preist that much more valuable to a Fortress community.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 12:26:52 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Preists as mobile religious prayer sites
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 02:07:50 pm »

Giving counsel to the sick sounds like it would be sensible, yes. From the last fotf, it was said priests should take up some stress-relieving functions, so I suspect consolation will be going in too.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 04:00:22 pm »

Chaplains would be useful for caravans, hospitals, prisons and the military.

And, for less effect, could darves pray by themselves?
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 04:33:06 pm »

Dwarves already pray by themselves.
Might be an idea to have one of the new small shrines set up in the barracks and hospital though for minor praying needs. I don't think anything's been done with them in fortress mode yet.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 04:40:54 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 05:20:40 pm »

Dwarves already pray by themselves.
Might be an idea to have one of the new small shrines set up in the barracks and hospital though for minor praying needs. I don't think anything's been done with them in fortress mode yet.

We could even have non-denominational shrines, to ensure the traveller worshipping a god only known in his homeland is able to pray.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 12:24:34 am »

I like the idea that people could go to Priests to talk to so they could better deal with stress and other issues.  I sometimes have to change my Mayors because they get so stressed from all the meetings.  And it does not help that the populace reelect the same one over and over.  If I don't replace them with a fresh Mayor they become depressed and end up breaking something or punching a pet and then THEY end up chained to the walls. 

Having my Priests take over some of the load would help a tad.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 01:36:49 am »

I like the idea that people could go to Priests to talk to so they could better deal with stress and other issues.  I sometimes have to change my Mayors because they get so stressed from all the meetings.  And it does not help that the populace reelect the same one over and over.  If I don't replace them with a fresh Mayor they become depressed and end up breaking something or punching a pet and then THEY end up chained to the walls. 

Having my Priests take over some of the load would help a tad.
Should see a speed-up in therapy too when your 100 dwarves are spread over 10 religions rather than everyone trying to get a single meeting slot with the mayor.