Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Library Micromanagement  (Read 4155 times)

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Library Micromanagement
« on: October 26, 2019, 01:14:52 pm »

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew a way to micromanage what texts get stored in which libraries. I intend to have a fort with a library section where I let in visitors so they can peruse copies of the texts and what not, while also having a section where just my dwarfs can view the originals, and finally a "restricted" section containing books of the dark arts. Anyone have any ideas?

I know I could do this with a combination of the burrows and the library setting to restrict visitors, but then I still need to get the books to the right shelves as it were. If I setup dump zones and dump the books in the library zones will they get correctly assigned?

The other idea I had was some sort of airlock system where I would have to manually assign which dwarfs were to be inside the restricted library at what time, but that comes with its own struggles, like having to manage their food/drink separate from the rest of the fort, as well as remembering to let them out/new dwarfs in.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 01:18:12 pm by wooks »
In a game like Dwarf Fortress, going to the wiki being cheating is like saying bringing a parachute is cheating for skydiving.
"Has it been 4 days? Better check if my penis is still there again."

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Library Micromanagement
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 01:31:33 pm »

I suppose dumping would work, given that when I paint a library on a book laying on ground, it automatically is included in "written books" count in that library.

Hm, how about this: erase the library zone part on tables. Then, have two stockpiles that take books: one that takes artifact-only, inside citizen library, and another that takes non-artifacts inside the visitor library.

Might not work perfectly, but better than nothing. If all books in your library have been read by citizens, could directly make the tables part of visitor library, then have scribes thus automatically place their copies in it.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 12:33:04 pm »

If I setup dump zones and dump the books in the library zones will they get correctly assigned?

Artifacts (including original written works) cannot be dumped. You can assign them to a pedestal in the desired library instead.

Jundavr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 08:15:53 pm »

If I setup dump zones and dump the books in the library zones will they get correctly assigned?

Artifacts (including original written works) cannot be dumped. You can assign them to a pedestal in the desired library instead.

But will the dorfs read them while they're in the pedestal? Will simply remove the book from the pedestal assign them to the current library?
I was out in the rain. So exasperating!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 03:35:05 am »

As far as I know necro books can safely be placed on pedestals without the secret being spread, i.e. no, you'd have to remove the books from the pedestal to get them to be read.

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 06:29:02 am »

I had quite a lot of experience with managing necro books in my last fort. The pedestal is the easiest option for them. Lock them in a pedestal (inside the section of the library), and that way they cannot be read. Then whenever you want some dwarfs to read them, remove them from displaying (or destroy the pedestal). As far as I know, they will be immediately assigned to a current library. When you finish, lock them again (if you ever want to stop them from being read).
I guess it works for any artifact books as well. In general, pedestals are great for managing non-furniture artifacts, the displaying screen is so neat.