Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My Forgotten Beast is Too Shy to Shot Web?!  (Read 1416 times)

Steedat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My Forgotten Beast is Too Shy to Shot Web?!
« on: December 05, 2019, 11:00:57 pm »

I've searched the forums, but I haven't quite found a fitting answer:

I recently managed to capture a FB (a towering humanoid made of prase) that shoots webs. He's locked in a small room with fortifications along one wall, but I cannot get it to shoot webs! So far I've tried:
  • Tying a pig outside the fortifications
  • stationing a single militia dwarf at the fortifications
  • Stationing an entire squard of dwarves

None of those worked. I know there's line-of-sight; not only does the pig occasionally freak out from seeing the FB through the fortifications, but the corpse of my bait animal (a literal sacrificial lamb) started to rot and miasma poured through the openings.

Besides the FB and the lamb corpse, the room only contains a door I built as an extra lure.

Any suggestions on how to get that thing spittin'?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: My Forgotten Beast is Too Shy to Shot Web?!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 12:07:08 am »

Maybe he is "locked on" an attempt to destroy the door construction, and is not switching to the live target because there is no path to it, even though it is within visual range.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 12:10:12 am by anewaname »
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 12:28:18 am »

Ranged attackers need a significant level of marks-skill to aim through distant fortifications. If your "small room" doesn't constrain the FB to stand immediately adjacent to the fortifications then you will run into this type of problem.

DoubleG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 09:10:00 am »

Did the forgotten beast shoot webs when it was free? Sometimes it says they do something (like shoot webs) but they don't seem to do it. Forgotten beast are randomly generated and this can cause odd issues sometimes.

Steedat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 08:24:26 pm »

Maybe he is "locked on" an attempt to destroy the door construction...
... If your "small room" doesn't constrain the FB to stand immediately adjacent to the fortifications then you will run into this type of problem.

Ugh, It's probably a combination of both of these.

Did the forgotten beast shoot webs when it was free? Sometimes it says they do something (like shoot webs) but they don't seem to do it. Forgotten beast are randomly generated and this can cause odd issues sometimes.

He definitely shot webs at that poor lamb; there are still some stuck to the wall.

I'm gonna have to think up something stupid and dangerous to lure him out so I can modify the trap. Oh, and an update: now there's also a flying, fire-breathing feathered slug roaming the caverns!

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 07:19:56 pm »

The problem is that the beast needs to be able to path to an enemy to reliably web it. There's not really an easy fix except for maybe an arifact door or some shenanigans with locked hatches

Steedat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 11:30:59 pm »

This situation just keeps getting stranger.

So I used a targeted cave-in to destroy the door; It worked, the FB was no longer focused on it. I brought another pig outside the fortifications and dropped the bridged so the FB could see it. Then sh*t got weird.

The FB shot some webs at the pig, then teleported out of the trap room and killed it.

I probably should've copied the save and made a bug report, because that has to be a glitch. I save-scummed a half dozen times: tried moving the pig farther away from the fortifications, adding a 2nd layer of fortifications, added an extra layer of walls, each time the same result. FB sees bait, shoots some webs, dances right through the walls.

I finally had enough, and dropped the cave-in on IT instead of the door. No forgotten beast-silk industry for me...but I think my jewelcrafter now has Very Interesting piece of prase to work with.

Thanks for the advice and info, folks.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 07:58:10 am »

When you were mining for the cave-in, could you have accidentally left a path to climb over the fortifications/wall?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 05:00:33 pm »

There was a report like that in vp's Glazedfaith too for reference. Generally they just stand and stare through forts, but in one case got through.

Steedat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 09:24:51 pm »

The cave-in was a single tile, dropped from two z-levels above the trap room (I can't properly link a pic). It made a clean 1-tile hole above the trap with intact floor tiles all around. No diagonal connections to walls, ceiling, etc.

I don't think it could've pathed out from above, but I'm sure stranger things have happened.