Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help finding an old 2012 document (please, if you can)  (Read 5084 times)

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help finding an old 2012 document (please, if you can)
« on: January 17, 2020, 05:37:47 pm »

Hi everyone,

I am not smart and a lot of people here are. I have looked everywhere for this one document and I just cannot find it. I hate to bother any of you here, and I feel like I kind of suck at life sometimes for being an imposition. Also, I realize there are some medical type people on here who might understand CPT codes/medical coding.

The document I am looking for is:

AMA CPT Assistant July 2012
(American Medical Association Current Procedural Terminology)

Spine and Spinal Cord Code Changes, 7, 201, Jul, 3.

Basically, this is a document clarifying medical coding for a doctor who would perform an operation on someone's spine, and how to code for it. If it helps I think the text I need is on page 3. I lost my copy, and I just do not have access to this.  If there are any other coders here, I am basically thinking 63056 is an open procedure and can't be done with an endoscope under that code.

I realize this is a long shot, and apologize for being an imposition in advance. If anyone could be so kind and fortunate as to have a copy/find it, then could you please direct me to it?

Thank you very much for your time in any event.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding an old 2012 document (please, if you can)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 12:57:29 am »

If there was a website where it WAS available online, try archive.org's wayback machine.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 02:32:26 pm »

I never figured out how to use the wayback machine.
Is that something people know?

The only place I found stuff is behind paywalls I don't have expensive subscriptions to. Its all ICD 9 anyhow instead of ICD 10, so its not gonna be worth too much. Nobody can use ICD 9 anymore so why can they hope to charge for it? Are you going for your CPC? Or maybe you've already got it and Im sorry if I was not cool assuming you are a student. Im getting better about that.

I know enough to know back surgery and coding for it, are super tough to deal with. This stuff is super tricky. I mean coding in general is nuts, but this area of coding is really hard.

Anyhow, you know who would really be helpful here actually, T. I'm still trying to get her back here, but even if she doesn't, try shooting her an email.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 09:45:27 pm by Robot Parade Leader »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 06:05:04 pm »

Was it in a periodical publication?

If so, inquire at a public library.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 09:38:13 pm »

[Please do not quote:]

RPL, you magnificent bastard, you know exactly how to bait me with someone getting screwed over who doesn't deserve it, don't you? Hi there. How're you doing? :)

[Looks around, reads, slight grumble, other noise {very possibly a grumble, but unconfirmed}, reads more, sips coffee. Screw it. Operator inbound.... ]

Hello Weird. Good to see you. I do not know if a technical material piece like this would be in a public library, but good thought. Constructive. Informative, as always friend.

\....

Hi again Fem. Long time no see. You were always nice to me.... As this is clearly a theoretical exercise only....

What are you coding for/what insurance in your example? {Answered via other means Medicare, o joy} Consult your MAC, and ask them. Document that you asked them and their response.
What are the dates of service in your example?

Context is key in coding, as I imagine you know. I may request more details, especially before thinking of providing anything like a code ... in this example.

I imagine you want this thing I probably don't have a copy of: (See page 40 out of 54)

https://commerce.ama-assn.org/catalog/media/cpt-assistant-index-2019.pdf

Spine and Spinal Cord Code Changes, 7, 2012, Jul, 3,
01996, 0274T, 0275T, 0276T, 0277T, 62267, 62287, 62290,
62310, 62311, 62318, 62319, 62367, 62368, 62369, 62370,
63001, 63003, 63005, 63020, 63030, 63035, 63056, 64484,
64633, 64634, 64635, 64636, 72275, 72295, 77003, 77012,
95990, 95991

?

Back when I most certainly did not help run hospitals if popular belief is to be trusted (O, it is, it is), CPT manuals and the CPT assistant were nice sources on this. I do not know if I have a paper copy or where I might have stored that paper copy, which I most certainly know nothing about. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

If there is anyone who could locate one? I also would be interested in this. The above documentation may assist anyone helping in this search. Please assist in this assistance

Correct coding is an entirely different matter, fraught with difficult (unappreciated) technical matters. Make sure (what I assume to be the physician you are coding for gives you) the operative report copy to double check. I certainly hope no one is pressuring you to code 63056, which is an very invasive procedure code, for something done with an endoscope....

The three things that you need to worry about with this particular fiasco you inadvertently walked into were likely thrown into through no fault of your own and I'm going to get you out of are as follows.

A.) Correct Coding
B.) Experimental and Investigational 
C.) CYA / whoever threw you into this has (wrong) expectations you will have to manage.

A.) Correct Coding
Naturally, you will wish to know the operation and methodology performing it, including surgical approach.

The surgical approach is important, as is the area operated on (thoracic or lumbar, etc?). https://coder.aapc.com/cpt-codes/63056
 Exploration/Decompression Procedures on the Spine and Spinal Cord

63055: Transpedicular approach with decompression of spinal cord, equina and/or nerve root(s) (eg herniated inter vertebral disc) single segment thoracic
* See CPT Assistant Nov 99:36; CPT changes an insider's view 2000

63056 LUMBAR (including transfacet, or lateral extraforaminal approach) (eg, far lateral herniated intervertebral disc

63057 each additional segment, thoracic or lumbar (list separately in addition to code for primary procedure
(Use 63057 in conjuction with 63055 and 63056)

AMA CPT 2012 professional edition, p. 323

63056 is an open procedure. Traditionally, I have always understood open procedures to be "cutting someone open" verify for correct coding.
The RVU (relative value units) for 63056 are about 3x more than the next possibly permissible code (3x the cost). Use it if it's the right procedure, but not if it isn't.

The dates of service are paramount, especially in this situation, which I am not commenting upon.

IN 2017, CMS issued a separate code for endoscope procedures like this under CPT code 62380

https://www.health.ny.gov/health_care/medicaid/ebbrac/docs/2017-12-08_endoscopic_decompression.pdf

B.) Experimental and Investigational 
There are certain dangers you must be aware of when coding this particular matter. First and foremost, you must be absolutely sure this procedure is not a PILD/MILD (percutaneous or minimally invasive), as several insurances do not pay for them (double check with your Compliance Officer). Medicare does not cover PILD/MILD except in a clinical trial with specific registration requirements. Some physicians have tried passing PILDs off as 63055-63056. Don't. The auditors know to look for this and they do not care. Again, review with your Compliance Officer.

IF THIS IS A PILD, which my jaded self can't help but think.... Then this will likely be denied by most insurance as an experimental and investigational procedure (and your doctor will hate this answer but for insurance purposes, meh). And, CMS has already answered this ....

https://www.cms.gov/medicare-coverage-database/details/nca-decision-memo.aspx?NCAId=269

In a move it certainly does not get any credit for, the government considered covering this back in 2013 or so. Wanting to be a responsive and responsible decision making body, they solicited comments from experts in the feild and reviewed every piece of scientific literature they could get their hands on, while asking for more.Summarily the literary evidence was not fantastic, standards were not sufficiently consistent and their methodology was .... we're going to say not great. Basically, it was found not to be covered except in clinical trials to gather more evidence.

CMS also addressed subjective comments from physicians in the feild who favored the procedure and said it should be covered, like so:

"General Issues

Comments: There were numerous comments from physicians who perform the procedure who reported anecdotal good outcomes and few to no complications or adverse events for their patients. A number of commenters pointed out that patients who do not improve still have the option of continuing with non-surgical care or opting for open decompression.

Response: CMS appreciates the input of the many physicians sincerely conveying their personal experience with PILD. However, evidence from well-designed methodologically robust clinical studies is more persuasive to draw confident conclusions about the impact of medical technologies. As we state in the General Methodologic Principles in the Appendix to this decision memorandum, anecdotal reports are subject to biases and do not carry the evidentiary weight of methodologically appropriate clinical studies."

In other words, CMS has heard all of this and steadfastly refused to care in writing.

In the Event that it is percutaenous via an endoscope prior to 2017, but after 2011, then it may be in danger of falling into 0275T (note the category III CPT code for emerging tech and procedures, hence experimental and investigational. If it is prior to 2011, then I fear you may fall into 84.99, which is other procedure on relevant anatomy..... If that's the case, then you need to be very careful, because it will be likely be denied recouped if put under 63056. More info needed.

C.) CYA / whoever threw you into this has (wrong) expectations you will have to manage.

You need to review this with your compliance officer, and experienced coding staff, preferably CPC (Certified Professional Coder). Again, ask your MAC for guidance, preferably in writing to CYA. The physician you are coding for may have a strong opinion on this matter. He or she may very well be an excellent doctor, and I assume he or she is. This isn't about medicine, this is about insurance and having someone pay for it. At the end of the day, this isn't about restricting what your physician does, but if the insurance company won't pay for it, or won't pay for it at a higher level billing, then that's an admin issue. Nobody wants an auditor saying things weren't coded. If the physician you are coding for wants this code for an endoscope procedure, then be the following is advised:

I.) Always be respectful, as this physician is very experienced and probably means well, but the insurance (is always blamed on the coder if it goes south)....
II.) CYA, and make sure you have multiple opinions verifying this procedure is the exact code. It isn't about disputing the operation (that's the Dr.'s call), it's what to bill it under.
III.) Respectful diplomacy, while CYAing and documenting to show you did your job.

Summary:
MAKE SURE 63056 is the right code. MAKE SURE this is not a PILD. MAKE sure you document to CYA.
Consult your Compliance Officer, and ASK YOUR MAC, before you bill and document that you did so, their response, etc. (See also CYA).

This is not coding advice, but rather an assistance attempt to point you in the right direction, your compliance officer/MAC, and to gather additional information.

Again, I apologize that I do not have the document you requested, but hopefully this helps both generally, and specifically with more information for anyone who can find it. If found, please make available, as I would also enjoy access. Thank you.

[Please do not quote, come on, I'm just dropping in to help a bit and then operator outbound].
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 09:40:43 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 09:52:01 pm »

T is back ?! :).

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 09:53:43 pm »

It's winter and cold:

Also though seriously everyone, please keep looking for that document.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 09:55:43 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 11:47:54 pm »

Combining that link T "did not provide", with my earlier suggestion to use wayback machine--

Listing of all captured content under ~/media from that address

Earliest captures are from 2015 ish.  Sadly not old enough for your purposes.  Are there any other endpoints that might have gotten captures made?

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 11:06:02 am »

Um, wow Thank you. I am really appreciative for that, because I never could have thought of that stuff. Reviewing some things with some people and I'm not sure yet. I don't know, but at least this is helping a lot. The compliance officer was really surprised I brought this to her and said I did the right thing doing that.

Wow, the lawyers I've seen at medical facilities around here never provide any answers but you actually get it.

I appreciate everyone looking for that CPT Assistant thing too. Even if nobody finds it It was really nice of you all to look.

I don't know what you mean by an endpoint, or where I would find that so I could give it to you.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 11:08:36 am by femmelf »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 01:48:25 pm »

Places where "current" versions of the document are frequently kept online.  Wayback machine indexes locations like that (or when people manually tell it to index a location) and the keeps local copies of all those files, so that a historical snapshot of the site is retained.

This is how they have versions of those documents from 2015.

If there are other places where those documents are stored (an endpoint I can search), I would appreciate it.  I can look for archived old copies, and maybe find your missing pdf.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 12:11:31 pm »

I don't claim to be awesome at searching, but I can't find too much. Really, the only thing might be behind a paywall. I think the AMA has a subscription for their back catalog, and T said that's where they got their stuff in that link.

I just don't have a subscription to AMA CPT or whatever it is. I also don't know anyone who does who would get this for you with one. I am not sure how to help you.

I also don't understand enough of the details to really help you and some of the terms I was given aren't clear to me, but then I'm not a doctor. I sure as hell wouldn't try operating on somebody's spine or anything like running a hospital. I have a whole new respect for people who do.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2020, 02:15:27 pm »

If it's for work, you may be able to get a paywall cost reimbursed. Depensds on workplace though.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2020, 10:27:13 am »

Hey Truean, nice to see you around!

Doubt I've found anything you need but I'll drop the link anyway
http://msbapps.medtronic.com/spineline/CPT/Decompression%20(Transpedicular%20Approach)%2063055,%2063056,%20+63057.pdf

This one at least cites the Jul 12:3 thing as being a source. Don't know if it covers the information you need as I know nothing about this domain and American medical codes, but it does have some notes about what codes to use/not use in there.

BTW "Spine Coding and Documentation" - 2018, PDF. The problem is that for the code in question, it has some information, but cites the Nov 11 guidelines, so may be out of date.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiAirCN243oAhUiH7cAHbZGC68QFjALegQIBRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.audioeducator.com%2Fproduct%2Fdownload%2Faccess%2Fallow%2Ffolder%2Fproduct-pdf%2Fpdf%2FTLCORC218A.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3g5mMU2rZQaO2PW4IY7i5f
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 10:36:50 am by Reelya »

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2020, 08:44:24 am »

Don't know if this helps at all, but here's some discussion that mentions that page of that edition: https://www.aapc.com/discuss/threads/procedure-code-66056.110564 and is specifically about endoscopes and 63056.

"You need to immediately inform those involved that 63056 is only reported for an open surgical approach. That reporting CPT 63056 would be incorrect coding of endoscopic approach and would result in overpayment. If payment has been received, need to refund and rebill would the correct codes for endoscopic approach.  CPT 63056 is not recognized as a procedure that can be reported for endoscopic approach." etc.