Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Desensitizing one’s self to Drama.  (Read 7242 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Desensitizing one’s self to Drama.
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 03:51:19 pm »

It seems that you can distinguish the "drama" as a trigger. 

So with a trusted person (therapist, friend) to role play that drama scenario, knowing it is safe, and then brainstorming how you can change it, either by
learning to disassociate or not taking it personally at some level;
or accepting sooner--it happened, I can learn from it and will try to do better;
or even just acknowledging that 6-year-old would feel this way, but x-year-old me now "can handle it" and move on, or let it slide off no longer have the power to lessen my worth.

Some anecdote I've read or heard.  It takes doing around 32 times to make it a habit.  So when the "A" happens, you act to handle the "B" and get a better and/or acceptable "C".

Take care.  Love yourself for who your are first.  You are worth it.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2020, 03:13:20 am »

As someone who had issues dealing with personal conflict, I can safely say that arguing with my wife has been an excellent cure for my troubles.

Actively perceiving your situation, recognizing when a "this is bullshit" moment occurs, and activating the "fuck all this drama" response can become an  ingrained habit with repeated practice.

You just need to find someone you trust to regularly and unforgivingly keep serving you steaming piles of crap. Eventually dealing with it will be second nature.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2020, 01:13:50 pm »

Hey, how is this going? Hopefully you built up some tolerance before *gestures around at the entire world.*

Take care of yourself.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2020, 03:16:10 pm »

Meant to reply earlier.

I’m fine, Mostly, probably, maybe, not really, I don’t know. I built up a tolerance to the bullshit of the world a long time ago, and self isolation isn’t hard in rural Ireland. I’ve done work with my therapist on the specifics of my triggers, and light exposure therapy. It’s getting better, and it’s gotten easier to watch things. I still can’t watch musicals, the ultimate test. The sheer amount of people being so outgoing in unison is too much. I’m having other, larger mental health problems right now anyway. Yay.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2020, 11:05:34 am »

Meant to reply earlier.

I’m fine, Mostly, probably, maybe, not really, I don’t know. I built up a tolerance to the bullshit of the world a long time ago, and self isolation isn’t hard in rural Ireland. I’ve done work with my therapist on the specifics of my triggers, and light exposure therapy. It’s getting better, and it’s gotten easier to watch things. I still can’t watch musicals, the ultimate test. The sheer amount of people being so outgoing in unison is too much. I’m having other, larger mental health problems right now anyway. Yay.

Yeah, with mental health stuff, mitigating is usually the best we can expect. It's good to hear you've made some long-term progress, even in the face of a large (hopefully short-term) setback.
Pages: 1 [2]