Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf stuck getting a cup  (Read 1124 times)

DoubleG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf stuck getting a cup
« on: December 10, 2019, 04:47:14 pm »

This has happened in a few pof my forts now, and I've worked out no way to free them till they die of thirst.

I always have a stockpile of cups in my dining room. Occasionally a dwarf gets stuck getting a cup. They display that they are getting a drink but won't move from the cup stockpile. Not sure what to make it of it. If anyone has any ideas they would be appreciated.

DoubleG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf stuck getting a cup
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 05:54:30 pm »

Hmm, managed to get him to drink by forbidding all cups in the fortress. I looked at his health and he cannot stand or grasp, so it might be he's just doomed to die pretty soon unless i micro manage his drinking from now on. Poor guy, trying desperately to pick up a  cup so he can get some beer... but unable to. A fate worse than death for any dwarf.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 06:37:18 pm »

Yes, unable to grasp means no drinking unless all cups are forbidden (curiously, they can drink directly from the barrel if no cups are available). If hospitalized others can bring them water, though.

Unless it's something that can be healed you're better off getting rid of the poor sod. Sending him to a holding is the "civilized" way, while exiling or an "unfortunate accident" are more brutal versions.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 07:11:41 pm »

Unless it's something that can be healed you're better off getting rid of the poor sod. Sending him to a holding is the "civilized" way

For bonus points, send all dwarves unable to grasp to the same holding.
Just one random town, comprised of almost nothing but dwarves living under bushes and overhangs because they can't hold picks or axes, warm in their heaps of unbuttoned shirts and untied boots.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

DoubleG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 03:38:46 am »

The dwarf beard is a highly evolved and wondrous thing, with alcoholic nanotubes throughout every strand. These tubes, in the presence of alcohol, open and draw the alcoholic beverage up towards the dwarfs mouth, enabling them to drink without the need of cups. Of course, any non-alcoholic liquid is repelled and rolls off like .... water off a ducks back back, or in this case, the dwarfs beard.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 05:08:00 am »

For some reason DF doesn't feature Pratchettian dwarves, so females do not have beards (at least one player has claimed to correct that with raw editing in the past).

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 07:42:21 am »

For some reason DF doesn't feature Pratchettian dwarves, so females do not have beards (at least one player has claimed to correct that with raw editing in the past).

Dorfs have a hard enough trouble telling when something's on fire, do you expect them to spend extra time figuring out which of them is actually the female?
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.