Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Improving the Reputation Wiki page.  (Read 5919 times)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Improving the Reputation Wiki page.
« on: December 13, 2019, 09:18:11 am »

So, recently nopenope asked toady how reputation works, leading to the types of reputation entry here: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Reputation#Types_of_reputation

And I was looking at the dfhack structures, turns out we sort of know what those 32 types are, it seems Quiestus found them a while back...

[snipped, just check the wiki page]

But what I am wondering now is, how does one attain these reputations. Some of these I know, some of them I can guess, but some are completely opaque to me, so I was hoping other people here may know?

As well, do we know if reputation has any effect in fort mode? Say, you bring your adventurer to a fort you're running?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 10:02:38 am by therahedwig »
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Improving the Reputation Wiki page.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 10:37:41 am »

If you're looking for equivalents in fort mode, the 2. Buddy is marked as "Friend" in relationship screen, 3. is "Bonded" and 8. is "Friendly Terms". Never seen others (outside of grudge/lover/familial relation) appear outside of memory editing (though the name doesn't necessarily correspond one-to-one either, i.e. 7. is "Good for Business").

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 10:44:18 am »

Yeah, I think we can change the names on the wiki as well to represent the actual in game terms being used, these names from the memory editing are just a good starting point.

Ah, so the reputations do work on a per-dwarf basis then? So dwarves in fort mode will hold reputation within the fort even though it is invisible?

Makes me wonder if a dwarf with a great reputation is going to be recognized by your adventurer (assuming said adventurer was started in the fort)...
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 11:03:00 am »

In fort mode relationships screen, it shows the "strongest" option, provided there isn't something overriding it. I haven't tried retiring an adventurer after getting someone in fort to consider them nonstandard things and looking at the relationship screen of that someone (don't really use adv mode, but this seems like a test someone could do).

here's my notes from relations-indicator:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Kloker dev noticed that and went further with it, if you're looking for history of tracking down these things.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 04:30:03 pm »

Yeah, I think we can change the names on the wiki as well to represent the actual in game terms being used, these names from the memory editing are just a good starting point.

Ah, so the reputations do work on a per-dwarf basis then? So dwarves in fort mode will hold reputation within the fort even though it is invisible?

Makes me wonder if a dwarf with a great reputation is going to be recognized by your adventurer (assuming said adventurer was started in the fort)...

Treasure hunter is for retrieving an artifact someone wants for them. I have done that many times.

Information source is what a spy thinks of someone who they use for getting details on things and usually the victom thinks they are friends.

Brigand is for demanding items from people when you walk up to them and choose to "exchange or take items" then demand an item . That gets you labeled a brigand (and gets labeled as a robbery in the rumors)

Hunter is when you slay a hist fig animal or megabeast.

Comrade is when you are both hearth people of teh same lord or they are your lord.

Protector of the weak is slaying bandits

I dont think anyone has ever called me a thief in game but potentially thats stealing an artifact? I will have to try

You can get a monster reputation if you make an animal able to be played as an outsider adventurer and kill folks.

And megabeasts that can talk consider you a "dangerous animal" if you ask them about yourself no matter what race you are

I have seen adventurers get labeled an enemy fighter post retirement if you are . a hearth who attacks the hearths of another lord.

Friendly fighter is a mystery to me

Intruder is a mystery to me

Phsycho is a mystery to me

Hero i'm not sure about, i know i have been called a "legendary hero" after getting big megabeast kills but im not sure exactly how that is figured out.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 04:42:24 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 07:39:56 pm »

In fort mode relationships screen, it shows the "strongest" option, provided there isn't something overriding it. I haven't tried retiring an adventurer after getting someone in fort to consider them nonstandard things and looking at the relationship screen of that someone (don't really use adv mode, but this seems like a test someone could do).
Ah, so the reputation system is basically how DF tracks non-familial relationships?

I've been playing a bit just now, and got hero rep for bringing down a nighttroll. As Toady's quote suggested, different histfigs have different reactions to a given event. Nighttrolls seem to be universally bad, so I got 'You are very brave', 'you are a hero', 'you are a great hero', 'you are a legendary hero' together with 'killer' for killing the sentient nighttroll. Presumably these are all different levels of the same hero table, but then it makes murderer and psycho even more peculiar.

I tried doing some lua printing of the reps, which seems to reveal that certain types of rep are tracked in different places, so the relationships rep is about friendliness, quarrelling, good for doing bussiness with, but bard and hero are only to be found at the entity level. Which is weird because I get feedback about being a bard or a hero before the cooldown period turns it into proper government wide rep that dfhack can see. Maybe there's another place where rep is temporarily stored, like the site reports??? EDIT: Nope, in unit somewhere...

I got 10 and 20 in hero and 1 in killer with different site govs for killing two nighttrolls, and 60/62 in bard for performing music several times in front of entity members. The cooldown seems to be about 1 or 2 days for a told rumour to be converted to government entity rep.

Untrusted, thanks! It seems that silverwing already updated the wiki there.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 07:53:00 pm by therahedwig »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 08:12:17 pm »

"Psycho" could maybe be this one:

Obtained by escalating an unprovoked fight with a civilian to No Quarter.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 08:15:10 pm by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 08:37:56 pm »

Ah! Good job!

Meanwhile, I couldn't help myself and unretired my fort where I had too spread the rumours of my nighttroll slaying:

The selected entry is my bard adventurer.

So, yes, this does prove that there's an inherent connection between relationships and reputation. But this also shows how much the current relationship system in fort mode is so flakey, we should've seen 'considers quarreller' and the like much more commonly?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 10:41:35 am »

So, we've gotten quite a bit further on the reputation page, with some searches through the dfhack github repo letting us know what hated and respected group are, and bonded is really only for animal training partners... After testing a lot, some reputations might be bugged.

Missing still:

- Brawler, I suspect that this is what happens when you start a conflict without reason at brawl level.
- Psychotic needs to be verified.
- Enemy fighter and friendly fighter will according to the dfhack research results in 'enemy fighter' and 'on my side'
- Monster needs to be verified.
- Bully, I did get once, and I suspect this is what happens when you make people yield, this will be how they feel about you. My situation was that my hearthperson handled a bandit gang by brawling with them and telling them to yield constantly.
- Thief. someone needs to steal something, I guess?
- Intruder, still totally unknown.

I am currently 'cleaning' out my test fort(aka trying to get rid of all the visitors without killing them), so I can't check this stuff right now.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 11:52:47 am »

This is what I get for starting a random brawl with someone.

Notably, you only get this if whoever-it-is knows your name. Otherwise, you'll just get an "I don't know you".
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 04:29:00 pm »

Yes, histfigs just don't know what to do when they don't know your name right now.

I've added it to the wiki page, removing the verify. I think that proves that the other one was very likely psycho. Thanks! I think it'll help a lot as well when the next version comes out and we'll be puzzling out how interrogation works.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2019, 09:52:23 am »

Yes, histfigs just don't know what to do when they don't know your name right now.

I've added it to the wiki page, removing the verify. I think that proves that the other one was very likely psycho. Thanks! I think it'll help a lot as well when the next version comes out and we'll be puzzling out how interrogation works.
yeah histfigs need a greeting to get a bare grasp of understanding you, and then you kinda need to tell them events that would alter their opinions of you which leads into rep/relationships.

though this is going into the idea of historical figure assign units and not the ones that don't have historical figures(which I call inhabitants, a named pick up from poking around dfhack and noticing they are tied to how the site spawns in new peasants to the site that seem to have no historical figure id tied to them) that end up getting one when you start a conversation with them which gives them a fresh historical figure that has nothing for memory including the relationships and reputation of others.

intruder is tied to the sites that has ethics ask for hostility to neutral or enemies which ends up if you botch the ask for identity check. it's the rep you get for the event of failing to give an correct identity and marks you down for hostile for the entire civ.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2019, 11:43:55 am »

intruder is tied to the sites that has ethics ask for hostility to neutral or enemies which ends up if you botch the ask for identity check. it's the rep you get for the event of failing to give an correct identity and marks you down for hostile for the entire civ.

Cheers! I've added it.

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2019, 11:48:33 am »

PTW.

I ran into these sorts of questions recently while trying to play adventure mode after around 4 years since I last played it... So I am interested in the answers to these questions and updating the wiki to make them more easily findable and useable.
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2019, 08:14:07 pm »

Erm... Stealing doesn't work anymore, so not sure how to get thief now... That was... anti-climactic.

I did discover how poetry forms are learned(just listen) and that the monks you see passing in hamlets by are basically window dressing.
Pages: [1] 2