Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves keep on throwing themselves into volcano  (Read 1888 times)

DoubleG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves keep on throwing themselves into volcano
« on: December 13, 2019, 12:19:24 pm »

I'm deconstructing some walls I had built around a volcano. But I'm starting to run out of dorfs. Every time they deconstruct one wall they try to deconstruct the next wall by moving out over the volcano. I'm getting spam messages about dwarf missing for a week almost constantly. I've watched 4 dwarves in a row all deconstruct one wall them throw themselves to their death. Building a safety floor will seriously delay deconstruction and I want ti done before more haunting mist comes and kills all my dwarves outside (again, it always arrives right by the volcano). Any workaround ideas that might be quick and easy? Or should I just let them sacrifice themselves to the great volcano?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves keep on throwing themselves into volcano
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 12:59:05 pm »

If caving in the whole thing is possible all at once, I'd consider using that.

You can also use bridges instead of floors for safety, as they're both faster to deconstruct and can be destroyed by cavein hitting any of their tiles.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 01:36:11 pm »

My guess would be that you've stranded your dwarves topside in an attempt to keep them on task, and they are using the "tree-stranded" logic to "escape" down the caldera. If so, allowing the dwarves to path back into the fortress should clear up the problem. If not, uploading a save to DFFD will likely yield more accurate analyses.

DoubleG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 02:16:45 pm »

I think I may have worked it out. There was a lot of logs on top of the walls from the previous layer above, so when they removed a wall and moved to the next one the log fell down and caused them to dodge. My dwarves weren't suicidal (or at least, not very suicidal), they just disliked being hit by falling items. :/ Totally my fault and I built them a safety bridge to help them out. Down to a few score dwarves now though. :/

TheyreAllGullyDorfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 01:46:04 pm »

I feel like a fool for suggesting this, but did you try deconstructing the wall a single block at a time?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 05:54:25 am »

DoubleG already found the problem, i.e. items on top of the walls falling when the walls were removed. The solution to that problem is to remove those items before deconstructing the wall (or make somewhat sure the dodging dorfs would end up on a surface, as DoubleG seems to have done). Deconstructing the wall one element at a time without removing the items will just make the work slower, but won't reduce the amount of dodging.

If the wall items were suspended only by their neighboring wall elements and the deconstructing dorfs stood on a bridge (that doesn't support walls) rather than a floor of some kind, deconstruction of the wall would have to be done in the right order, typically starting in the middle and then proceeding one block at a time in each direction, but that's a different problem.

âbirtobul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 01:38:03 pm »

DoubleG already found the problem, i.e. items on top of the walls falling when the walls were removed. The solution to that problem is to remove those items before deconstructing the wall (or make somewhat sure the dodging dorfs would end up on a surface, as DoubleG seems to have done). Deconstructing the wall one element at a time without removing the items will just make the work slower, but won't reduce the amount of dodging.

If the wall items were suspended only by their neighboring wall elements and the deconstructing dorfs stood on a bridge (that doesn't support walls) rather than a floor of some kind, deconstruction of the wall would have to be done in the right order, typically starting in the middle and then proceeding one block at a time in each direction, but that's a different problem.

If I wanted to reproduce this as punishment for a dwarf how do I do it? Put object on tile, mine tiles around, go down, mine arou d, then mine support? And object will bop them? Or will the earth hit them too?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 04:58:26 pm »

The easiest is probably to get stuff dropped on top of a retracting drawbridge and have the victims stand underneath (or, for that matter, on top of one built directly on top of the floor: that's how a coinstar worked, before it became dangerous).
Digging under a tile will cause a cave-in, which is not recommended, as it's lethal if the tile above is a full tile of natural rock, while I think a floor is "just" quite dangerous, even without anything on top of it.
Dropping stuff on top of a wall and have the victim dismantle the wall would replicate the original problem (assuming the wall was adjacent to a volcano).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 01:02:04 am »

Being beneath a falling floor is also lethal, though since you dig from the side you'd get caught in cave-in dust instead.

With deconstruction, you'd have to disable labour on everyone, so it might be better to use a lever that you can profile that opens a hatch with item above them.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 05:55:31 am »

Maybe theyre just trying to save you time
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright