Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Werebeasts make me sad.  (Read 4691 times)

Economic Snake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Werebeasts make me sad.
« on: December 13, 2019, 01:54:11 pm »

So I've been playing DF for a while, on and off, and without fail, every fortress I've made so far has gotten fairly big and then gotten utterly demolished by some wandering werecreature. Every time I make a fortress, I think to myself "This time I won't get killed by a werebeast; I have a foolproof defense all thought out!" But every single time something goes wrong. I've tried making a pillar with floors on top to make it collapse on the beast but it didnt work for some reason. Ive also tried making a moat with drawbridges but my dwarves were too slow to pull the lever. How do i protect my poor, poor dwarves from this gruesome fate?
Cave crocodiles and chickens don't mix.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: Werebeasts make me sad.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 02:13:18 pm »

Put a couple tame animals in chains/rope some distance from your entrance for early spot/distraction (don't expect them to live).

Use a couple of doors to slow down the werebeast until it changes back.

Have a couple of fully armored dwarves, ready to intervene. Preferably with edged weapons, they are better

Skimm through the battle logs for anyone that was injured and quarantine them. Use individual rooms for your hospital's beds that can be walled off in case of a werebeast infection.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

DoubleG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 02:21:24 pm »

Chained up watchdogs at a distance from your door is your best bet, plus doors to slow it down. I also think its can help to keep an eye on the combat logs. I once caught a werewolf early, before it revealed itself, because it decided to attack a random duck before it came near me.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 04:18:52 pm »

Another good preventative measure is placing statues all over the map, and setting announcements of statue topplings to pause and recenter. Don't worry, though, they're rare and typically important in all but the most insane forts. This'll give you an early warning before the beast even becomes visible, giving you some time to get everybody inside the deepest part of your fort and yoink a lever. Some bait animals (pastured, not chained) can also buy time; toss a few puppies outside and the beast will waste its time slaughtering them, since unchained puppies can still flee.

Economic Snake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 04:32:22 pm »

Thanks for all the tips. The most recent time, the bear came too early for me to have full armor or anything, although I think it might have been a migrant from another fort.

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 04:48:25 pm »

As far as I know, the only way migrants can be werebeasts are if they were infected in a previous fort and survived; world generation werebeasts run off into the wild and live naked in caves. I prefer to gen a new world for each fort anyway to prevent issues from unhappy/unfulfilled dwarves migrating in at the state they were when my last fort went under. (You can save seeds/parameters if you really like a particular world's features!)

Adding to the general fort defense tips, having a good "airlock" style of door makes it easier to keep unwanted "guests" out long enough to seal yourself in, and setting up early indoor farms, breweries/wells, and your emergency lockdown civilian burrow are good habits to get into.

Economic Snake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 05:17:51 pm »

By airlock do you just mean have two doors? I was also wondering if floodgates were in any situation good in place of a door. Are they more powerful?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 06:40:09 pm »

Like TubaDragoness, I use airlocks, i.e. two drawbridges with a fair bit of space in between.
My fortresses typically have 3 two tile wide dug entrances with an outer drawbridge at the remote end, an inner drawbridge at the inner end, and a pair of doors inside the airlock just by the inner drawbridge (to keep building destroyers occupied long enough for the drawbridges to be closed). I've also got a guard animal in a box above the tunnel with a grate as its floor to detect sneakers.
Apart from that I also have a 3 tile wide entrance for caravans, but that one has to do without the doors.

Floodgates and doors can both be destroyed by building destroyers (and I never use floodgates, but some people do).

Economic Snake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 07:00:27 pm »

Alright! Thank you.

Economic Snake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 07:06:53 pm »

Hold on, how do I make it so it centers on a statue when it topples?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 07:52:51 pm »

Hold on, how do I make it so it centers on a statue when it topples?

In announcements.txt, replace
Code: [Select]
[BUILDING_DESTROYED_OR_TOPPLED:A_D:D_D]with
Code: [Select]
[BUILDING_DESTROYED_OR_TOPPLED:A_D:D_D:P:R]
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Economic Snake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 08:08:24 pm »

Okay cool, thanks.

Lurdiak

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2019, 07:52:24 am »

Honestly, every single time I've seen a werebeast they turn back into humans or whatever fairly quickly, usually before they can do any damage.

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2019, 03:46:27 pm »

Thanks for all the tips. The most recent time, the bear came too early for me to have full armor or anything, although I think it might have been a migrant from another fort.
There's  your problem. If a fort falls to werebeasts, DO NOT use that world for more forts. Werebeasts will join your forts as migrants and there's nothing you can do about it.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2019, 04:29:15 pm »

There's  your problem. If a fort falls to werebeasts, DO NOT use that world for more forts. Werebeasts will join your forts as migrants and there's nothing you can do about it.

Nonsense. You could have nicknamed your werebeasts in the original fortress so you could immediately expel them if they immigrate to a new fortress. But, assuming you didn't have the presence of mind to do that before the first fort fell, you can still identify immigrants from a previous fortress by checking their "thoughts and preferences" screen to see if they were a member of your failed fortress. Or you could expel all dwarves with preexisting thoughts to exclude all dwarves that even visited your prior fortresses. Or just quarantine all the new arrivals until after the next full moon.
Pages: [1] 2