Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Werebeasts make me sad.  (Read 4666 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Werebeasts make me sad.
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2019, 06:44:18 pm »

There's  your problem. If a fort falls to werebeasts, DO NOT use that world for more forts. Werebeasts will join your forts as migrants and there's nothing you can do about it.

Nonsense. You could have nicknamed your werebeasts in the original fortress so you could immediately expel them if they immigrate to a new fortress. But, assuming you didn't have the presence of mind to do that before the first fort fell, you can still identify immigrants from a previous fortress by checking their "thoughts and preferences" screen to see if they were a member of your failed fortress. Or you could expel all dwarves with preexisting thoughts to exclude all dwarves that even visited your prior fortresses. Or just quarantine all the new arrivals until after the next full moon.
Yes, you can avoid it, but, it is an annoying feature of the game. In a busy world with hundreds of other dwarf sites, not to mention every other civ in the world, ex-player fortress werebeasts make a beeline for the next player fort.

That's not the behaviour of worldgen werebeasts who go to make lairs and a werebeast spiral is going to leave you with potentially dozens of annoying immigrant beasts. It's enough to make you want to destroy the world and start again.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2019, 08:25:58 am »

I like to give any freshly infected weres the title "Cursebearer". It sounds cool, and if I come across one in the migrant wave of a later fortress I know to expel that dwarf right quick!
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Economic Snake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2019, 04:11:54 pm »

Coolio, thanks everyone!
Cave crocodiles and chickens don't mix.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2019, 02:02:01 am »

Also, beginning a fort in a world with much lower history tends to help reduce were and necromancer numbers, because there's less time for them to sprout up.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2019, 07:08:26 am »

Dont skim on a pacifist fortress with no military, and if you are seeking to wait out a werebeast without fighting it, have a inner bridge and a fair amount of distance between your actual fortress entrance and where your dwarves work and live.

If a chained up dog (with some measures so it can't die if possible if not serving as bait) can spot the werebeast first, you have a important 2 or less minute warning depending on how fast it is to call a dwarf to urgently pull a lever to seal the entrance, or lure the beast into a trap where they will be safely held in a corridor between bridges.

Whether you lock them out to wreck havoc on animals, visitors and traders or lock them in, they will eventually transform back and then you can go kill the defenceless naked humanoid so that they never return. If you feel adventurous you can let the humanoid walk back through and into a cage trap and have the beast-host captive.

Maybe hold the cage in a chamber somewhere, trap a sieging army in a corridor then release the beast when they enter the active period.

Economic Snake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2019, 10:06:15 am »

I had a question about levers; Pretty much all of my dwarves have the "Lever Operation" labor enabled, but when I create a task to pull the lever, the dwarf who decides to do that task is halfway across the fortress. How does it decide which dwarf does it?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2019, 10:17:41 am »

I had a question about levers; Pretty much all of my dwarves have the "Lever Operation" labor enabled, but when I create a task to pull the lever, the dwarf who decides to do that task is halfway across the fortress. How does it decide which dwarf does it?

Usually the closest unoccupied, though you can use manager screen i think on the lever to specify a specific dwarf or remove lever pulling responsibility from all dwarves, i cant remember exactly since its been a while since i last used it.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2019, 11:36:21 am »

Yes. In general, when a task is generated, the "closest" dorf that's eligible gets the task. If there wasn't anyone to take it up immediately, the first one to get free (and didn't get another available task instead) gets it.

As FantasticDorf indicated, you can select which dorf(s) is eligible to "work" with each "workshop", including levers, and you can add/remove lever pulling responsibility to/from dorfs.

There's also the "Pull Now!" command (the urgent command exists for other "workshops" as well), which presumably should allow for a number of tasks to be broken off to pull the lever, which, in turn, ought to increase the pool of dorfs that can be selected from.

I don't use the Manager so my knowledge is limited, but it doesn't seem like selection of a particular "workshop" lies within its skill set.

Economic Snake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2019, 11:41:58 am »

Okay, thanks!
Pages: 1 [2]