Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [44.12] Elf Fortress v1.0  (Read 3494 times)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[44.12] Elf Fortress v1.0
« on: December 13, 2019, 03:08:21 pm »

Download [44.12] Elf Fortress v1.0

This mod adds playable elf civilizations.

Elves can grow sacred trees (in the workshop build menu) which allow them to grow seeds (by communing with nature at the sacred tree). These seeds can then be used to grow wood items directly from the sacred tree. Seeds can also be used to grow wood logs which can be used as building mats or crafted into items at the carpenters workshop the vanilla way.

This mod does not edit any vanilla files.

The elves can grow the following sacred trees. The seeds from these trees can be grown directly into the following item types:

BIRCH = Cages/Weapons/Traps/SeigeAmmo
MAPLE = Mechanisms/Blocks/Pipes/Grates/Floodgates/SiegeParts
OAK = Furniture/Doors/Hatches/Statues
PINE = Armor/Shields
WILLOW = Barrels/Boxes/Bins/Tools/Splints/Crutches/Crafts

Biomes with sparse trees are the easiest to build in. Heavily forested areas, can be played in, but some sacred trees (such as the sacred oak) may not fit on the map, and building up into the canopy can be difficult (as trees cannot be cut down). Heavily forested areas can still be played in, but you will have to convert grown logs from smaller sacred trees (like birch) into items at the carpenter's workshop shop (instead of growing them directly).

I recommend building Briar Thickets from birch seeds (in the workshop build menu) as early defenses. These act as quick defensive walls, but they can be destroyed by building destroyers.

I encourage any feedback, concerns or recommendations.

This mod is completely compatible with [44.12] Dog Breeds and [44.12] Fishing Expanded. Install this mod last.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] Elf Fortress v1.0
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 06:31:29 pm »

I'm going to do a lot more testing before I give thorough feedback. Here are just a few things I've noticed initially.

1. Since this doesn't overwrite the default elves, you end up with two elf civs, one playable and one not. It also means that your playable elves won't use elf icons from any tilesets installed. This seems like something that individual users can mod themselves easily enough though, and I get that it's a trade off when it comes to compatibility with other mods.

2. When carefully preparing for an embark, you have the option to take metal weapons and armor, but not wooden ones.

3. Sacred Pine and one of the Briar Thickets both use the (P) command, and it defaults to the Briar Thicket.

4. And just a quick question: Which stockpile are the grown seeds stored in?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 06:42:10 pm by Rekov »

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 09:52:07 pm »

Thanks for the feedback! :)

1. Since this doesn't overwrite the default elves, you end up with two elf civs, one playable and one not. It also means that your playable elves won't use elf icons from any tilesets installed. This seems like something that individual users can mod themselves easily enough though, and I get that it's a trade off when it comes to compatibility with other mods.

Yeah. I noticed that. I believe it is the same for all of my fortress mods. The easiest solution is to just delete the forest entity in the vanilla entity file. I would include a new entity file with the mod, but I am trying to keep it completely compatible with all other mods.

I can create add-ons for some of the graphic sets pretty quickly. Is there one that you had in mind?

2. When carefully preparing for an embark, you have the option to take metal weapons and armor, but not wooden ones.

Thanks. I am probably missing a tag on the "grown wood" material. I will try adding [WOOD] to these mats.

3. Sacred Pine and one of the Briar Thickets both use the (P) command, and it defaults to the Briar Thicket.

Thanks. I'll change the command letter for the Briar Thicket.

4. And just a quick question: Which stockpile are the grown seeds stored in?

The seeds are actually "tools" but as stated above, I think I am missing a material tag, so they probably won't show up in the finished good/tools stockpiles.

I'll fix these thanks. Let me know if you have any more feedback/ideas. :)

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 11:13:40 pm »

The seeds also have quality levels. I don't know if that matters.

Are the woods equivalent to their 'natural' counterparts? I don't know enough about how wood materials are defined in the raws, but I couldn't find anything specific about them in your modded files.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 06:46:11 am »

The seeds also have quality levels. I don't know if that matters.

Are the woods equivalent to their 'natural' counterparts? I don't know enough about how wood materials are defined in the raws, but I couldn't find anything specific about them in your modded files.

I think the only thing it might do is give buildings better room quality modifiers when using higher quality grown seeds. The quality is determined by the alchemy skill.

I believe that they currently are, but I was going to make each grown mat have unique material properties (e.g. pine strong, willow light, oak heavy and expensive, etc) do you think that these grown mats should be comparable to metals for weapons and armors?

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 12:45:13 pm »

I believe that they currently are, but I was going to make each grown mat have unique material properties (e.g. pine strong, willow light, oak heavy and expensive, etc) do you think that these grown mats should be comparable to metals for weapons and armors?

I don't know. It's something I've been thinking about in comparing your mod with the elves in All Races Playable. In that mod you convert actual garden seeds into wood at the craft workshop.

The issue you'd have is a matter of balance. Right now you don't really have a limiting factor on producing wood. If you could produce metal quality materials through the same process, it would almost make playing your elves trivially easy.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 11:27:29 am »

Elves will also get unhappy if their masterwork seeds get used (destroyed) in a reaction.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 03:16:05 pm »

I don't know. It's something I've been thinking about in comparing your mod with the elves in All Races Playable. In that mod you convert actual garden seeds into wood at the craft workshop.

The issue you'd have is a matter of balance. Right now you don't really have a limiting factor on producing wood. If you could produce metal quality materials through the same process, it would almost make playing your elves trivially easy.

This fresh take on the elf modifications i think would fit in with my own minor modifications that built upon the All Races Playable mod's alchemy system. Eggs into featherwood, skull totems into glumprong, obsidian for tools from pressing wood (usually the wagon to get a worthy edge to cut trees). I am very impressed with how compact and smooth this is put together.

I did add my own nuances to that though in a rather imbalanced fashion to have elf plants only found on good biomes and through the elves themselves drive forward fuel production, and access to metal as part of the equivilent exchange programme trading wood, fuel plants and seeds. And messed around with animals a whole bunch to negate animalpeople and giant animals from the pool of [USE_ANY_PET_RACE], but both of those were really laborious and i dont want to repeat doing them, your system is much better.

Would you cater to a suggestion to have a later game variations of sacred glumprong, sacred feathertree and a sacred forge (kind of advanced workshop/magma compatible type?)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 03:25:43 pm »

*Edit - whoops didnt mean to double post, sorry*

Elves will also get unhappy if their masterwork seeds get used (destroyed) in a reaction.

Real seeds can be used if you just give 2 of the 3 seed material classes a appropriate reaction class token, it would be pretty funny for dwarves to make masterwork seeds with spikes of llama wool though.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 03:55:53 pm by FantasticDorf »

Dragonslayerelf

• Bay Watcher
  • Respectable Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 02:57:12 pm »

Hey, I was just trying out the mod and I was wondering if there was a fix for this.

1) Elves don't seem to equip pine gauntlets grown at the pine sacred tree. I'm fairly sure this stems from them being hand-neutral (most gauntlets are usually specified to be left or right gauntlets.)

2) High boots and gauntlets only seem to be grown as singles rather than in pairs

And then some stuff that was brought up earlier, like not being able to bring wooden equipment. Also, you should make it clearer that you don't need sacred seeds at embark; I was freaking out about not having sacred seeds available in the tools menu and then spawning in, attempting to build birch/oak/etc trees, and then being able to easily.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 04:30:10 pm »

Hey, I was just trying out the mod and I was wondering if there was a fix for this.

1) Elves don't seem to equip pine gauntlets grown at the pine sacred tree. I'm fairly sure this stems from them being hand-neutral (most gauntlets are usually specified to be left or right gauntlets.)

2) High boots and gauntlets only seem to be grown as singles rather than in pairs

And then some stuff that was brought up earlier, like not being able to bring wooden equipment. Also, you should make it clearer that you don't need sacred seeds at embark; I was freaking out about not having sacred seeds available in the tools menu and then spawning in, attempting to build birch/oak/etc trees, and then being able to easily.

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:ef_GROW_GAUNTLETS]
[NAME:grow pine gauntlets]
[BUILDING:ef_SACRED_PINE:CUSTOM_SHIFT_U]
[REAGENT:A:3:TOOL:ef_SEED:INORGANIC:ef_GROWN_PINE_MAT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:GLOVES:ITEM_GLOVES_GAUNTLETS:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
[SKILL:ALCHEMY]

You are correct, with two they automatically align but only one was supplied in both cases. This is a common issue modders run into when they try to do things like upgrade/refit gauntlets, two right gauntlets can be used and then turned into a left and right creating unequal pairs in the fortress.

If i might just additionally pique, the second issue can be resolved by just making inorganic seeds required to make a tree then grow more or push the excess you brought with you into production. Also through the process from merging my own stuff into this, i stumbled upon that the grown tree material doesn't correlate with the wood's own material statistics very well on things like weight.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's one i fixed up earlier from, only using the details from plants_standard.txt.