Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Back after a couple years --- new stuff, interesting mods?  (Read 2009 times)

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Back after a couple years --- new stuff, interesting mods?
« on: December 31, 2021, 10:54:26 am »

Hi, I haven't played DF in 3 years or so (haven't played any of the .47 releases but I had played some of the previous version).

I started up a fortress (and man, I'd forgotten how fun DF is). I noticed a few new things (temples, guildhalls, and interrogation when I was trying to track down a vampire). Am I missing anything?

Also, does anyone have any recommended interesting .47 mods? Particularly ones with fortress mode content (I'll probably try adventure mode again sometime but I've always enjoyed fortress mode a little more)?

In the past I've enjoyed mods with interesting creatures and magic, but maybe not as much the ones with super long workshop-requirement chains for the interesting content.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
Re: Back after a couple years --- new stuff, interesting mods?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 01:18:06 pm »

I've tried The Long Night, and found it enjoyable.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=172696.0
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 01:32:58 pm »

you might find sieges will occasionally sort of 'bypass' your fortress, where the siege will trigger then the invaders immediately leave. we believe this to be related to their journey across the world map, and it seems to have become much more common in the past updates.

DFhack is more powerful than ever, and behind the scenes knowledge of mechanics seems to be still growing. though the bleeding edge of dwarven science has become rather obscure, known only to a few powerful wizards. or something like that///

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 07:25:32 pm »

I've tried The Long Night, and found it enjoyable.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=172696.0

I'll give it a shot!

you might find sieges will occasionally sort of 'bypass' your fortress, where the siege will trigger then the invaders immediately leave. we believe this to be related to their journey across the world map, and it seems to have become much more common in the past updates.

DFhack is more powerful than ever, and behind the scenes knowledge of mechanics seems to be still growing. though the bleeding edge of dwarven science has become rather obscure, known only to a few powerful wizards. or something like that///

I think I did have that happen with a siege (and then later got a siege that did make it; the battle was brief but brutal, valued dwarves lost their lives).

Ha ha I'll leave the dwarven science to the experts. Is there still a thriving community, or are people waiting for the Steam release mostly?

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 04:08:47 am »

Is there still a thriving community, or are people waiting for the Steam release mostly?

If we were to wait for the premium release because it is "almost here", we'd be waiting for years.  No time like the present!  :D

Though it should be noted that traditional forums like this one have continued to decline in popularity.  Much of the DF community is spread out across Reddit or various Discords, and possibly entirely different media too.

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 09:17:50 am »

Is there still a thriving community, or are people waiting for the Steam release mostly?

If we were to wait for the premium release because it is "almost here", we'd be waiting for years.  No time like the present!  :D

Though it should be noted that traditional forums like this one have continued to decline in popularity.  Much of the DF community is spread out across Reddit or various Discords, and possibly entirely different media too.

'Various Discords' including Kitfox, to be clear, as the publisher of the aforesaid premium release. (pluggity-plug)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 10:37:49 pm »

I would also suggest The Long Night and also suggest Primal Mode (think dinosaurs and Ice Age animals).  I had stories using both of them but also some Youtubers have used them if you wish to see them in action.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!