Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: LET'S FIX THE WIKI! - A DF COMMUNITY PROJECT  (Read 54593 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LET'S FIX THE WIKI! - A DF COMMUNITY PROJECT
« Reply #135 on: April 13, 2020, 10:09:37 pm »

Aquifers page could do with a complete overhaul. As the bane of many players' existence for many years, the first thing any new player is going to see with a quick Google search is "whatever you do turn off aquifers" followed by further checking of the wiki which confirms their aquifers-are-complicated fears.

Right now, almost the entire page is dedicated to the very rare heavy aquifer (something for thrill seekers to hunt down and try) and nothing but a side comment about what to do with the regular type normal players will be encountering most of the time (dig it, profit).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 10, 2020, 03:08:24 am »

Under performance it says:
"
"While one would assume a larger dance floor would increase the chances of dancing, it does the opposite. This is presumably a bug."

Good example of useless heresay that prevents people from enjoying the game. Is there a link to the bug report at least? Dfhack data analysis?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 10, 2020, 03:45:00 am »

"
"While one would assume a larger dance floor would increase the chances of dancing, it does the opposite. This is presumably a bug."

Good example of useless heresay that prevents people from enjoying the game. Is there a link to the bug report at least? Dfhack data analysis?
Speculation: The hearsay might stem from dorf's inability to seek out others, but rather just select a random tavern location to go to, and a large tavern might mean dorfs would be spread too thin to form groups. If that's the case, the recently modified behavior of seeking out others might invalidate the comment.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 10, 2020, 03:57:11 am »

"

Speculation: The hearsay might stem from dorf's inability to seek out others, but rather just select a random tavern location to go to, and a large tavern might mean dorfs would be spread too thin to form groups. If that's the case, the recently modified behavior of seeking out others might invalidate the comment.
Seems a reasonable assumption. If there had been a link of any kind we could have edited this to say, working now. But now I guess we just have to wait until whoever wrote it explains why they wrote it. Never noticed this before or after, but then, never carried out the science.

Su

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angel Island Zone
« Reply #139 on: May 10, 2020, 05:47:44 am »

Aquifers page could do with a complete overhaul. As the bane of many players' existence for many years, the first thing any new player is going to see with a quick Google search is "whatever you do turn off aquifers" followed by further checking of the wiki which confirms their aquifers-are-complicated fears.

Right now, almost the entire page is dedicated to the very rare heavy aquifer (something for thrill seekers to hunt down and try) and nothing but a side comment about what to do with the regular type normal players will be encountering most of the time (dig it, profit).

how's this? i didn't really add that much, and the bulk of the page is still about the heavy aquifer, but it should be a little less heavy-specific.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 10, 2020, 05:59:24 am »

I think we need a string dump for v0.47.04:
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:String_dump
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #141 on: May 10, 2020, 10:58:10 am »

We don't actually. It's a little confusing, but the actual string dump is stored here and then templated into the main string dump page: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:String_dump/raw

It is up to date as far as I know...
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 10, 2020, 01:58:19 pm »

Yeah, it was last updated 5 days before 0.47.04 was released: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php?title=DF2014:String_dump/raw&action=history
There's no indication of the exact version that was used to generate it, but it was likely 0.47.03, and I don't expect there to be significant differences between it and 0.47.04.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 10, 2020, 04:26:45 pm »

how's this? i didn't really add that much, and the bulk of the page is still about the heavy aquifer, but it should be a little less heavy-specific.
That's much better. Should be easy enough to add in any extra tips and things that people find when working with regular aquifers now.

Su

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angel Island Zone
« Reply #144 on: May 12, 2020, 04:09:58 am »

are danger rooms worth keeping around? i understand that due to the risk of fatalities they're currently worse than useless when compared to sparring.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #145 on: May 12, 2020, 04:37:27 am »

are danger rooms worth keeping around? i understand that due to the risk of fatalities they're currently worse than useless when compared to sparring.

I've been using some kind of danger room in my most recent fort, and it seemingly works. I use very crappy wooden trainings spears, with only one for each trap and fully armored dwarves. The dwarves are sparring at the same time, though, so discerning which is the primary source of their growth is difficult. It also wears their armor and shields down. Even if setups such as mine are possible, more !science! is needed.

By the way, I moved the former Shrine article to Shrine (megabeast) and set up a disambiguation page also referring to the Temple article. More info about temple-shrines (both fortress and adventurer mode) is still needed, but hopefully it should be a step in the right direction.

Edit: Combat wear is another feature in dire need of more information, and incorporation into the tutorials. It is mentioned on the Wear article, but not given much attention. Considering how important it probably is (I've had combat reports with armor being torn apart, especially goblin's, followed by higher lethalithy rates) it really deserves to be addressed in articles about military design. Are light wooden shields still superior to non-adamantine metal ones when they risk breaking in the midst of conflict?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 15, 2020, 08:45:41 am »

Someone without a wiki account (thank you for your work!) respectfully making recommendations:

Construction#Order of construction says that constructions are built in LIFO order but in my observation they appear to be nearest-to-dwarf order (assuming equal accessibility). Can someone take a second look?

--------

Armor#Size, permit, and layering armor could use a thorough scrub, or possibly even removal/merging on the grounds of being a less accurate duplication of #Equipping clothing section immediately above. "Under the old system" and cloak wearing habits of "old dungeon masters" have been there since the v0.31 page. A little further on it says more testing is needed for fortress mode and this appears to be of equal antiquity (note, there is a Verify tag in the Equipping clothing model above). How clothing/armor fits is complicated enough without digression into the past.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 15, 2020, 09:41:47 am »

Hm. Testing, it seems it uses closest to dwarf when distances are unequal, and LIFO when distances are equal (same equidistant dwarf and material location used for test with wall placement order swapped between two tests).

Second, yeah, DF2010 is old enough that it should be removed. Partially done (left up the Urist McNoPants thing for someone else to test.)

PS: You can make edits without account, though that publicly exposes your IP.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 15, 2020, 12:00:14 pm »

Construction handling was changed mid 0.40.X (.19 or so). Prior to that the jobs were (usually) allocated (but not necessarily finished) based on the order in which they were defined, and the jobs were performed by masons/carpenters depending on the material (I assume smiths took care of metal), rather than a construction "hauler" job.

adseaghtrnjty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 18, 2020, 03:31:05 pm »

What does everyone think about questions asked here or in /r/dwarffortress (not official) that go into more detail into the mechanics of the game? Right now, for example, there's a question about what happens to items you sell to other civilizations. There's a bunch of questions about the vanilla game that you can't find on the wiki, and I was wondering whether the wiki should include more in depth information on the game. For example, on /r/dwarffortress, there's a question about what happens to the items you trade with other civilizations. Do they use it, does it just despawn? etc. It's not my question, if you must know, but these kind of questions are things anyone would think, but you would have to ask them instead of them being documented already. The wiki feels full of incomplete information or perhaps just full of basic information.

So is the wiki for basic information on the game or a complete source of information on the game?

That is all for now.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15