Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Why does every single fort get attacked by werecreatures in the first year?  (Read 9472 times)

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Regardless of world age, embark location, wealth produced, population, etc. Was this added intentionally in one of the updates? I don't remember seeing anything about Toady deciding that he had too many players.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

Number of curses can be turned off in advanced settings, if it's too troublesome for you.

They're meant to be the first challenge, but can really exhaust new players with their deadliness. Check the wiki for strategies to avoid them.

Werebeast curses are pretty resilient, so it's rare to have them totally wiped out in world history, but it does happen at times. They're not inevitable, just very likely.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Regardless of world age, embark location, wealth produced, population, etc. Was this added intentionally in one of the updates? I don't remember seeing anything about Toady deciding that he had too many players.
There was a big post recently in which they mentioned that this was a huge issue for new players and they were going to nerf werebeast the population trigger (currently 20). So, obviously not intentional.

I guess it doesn't come up much because it doesn't bother people once they've played a bit and figured out a starting strategy. Close the drawbridge. Put out some chained dogs or an army of hunters to spot the thing before it gets too near.
Lock anyone who gets attacked outside unless you're confident enough in your skills that you can reliably isolate them.

Oh, and no, werebeasts don't appear any more often than before. That's just the rng playing with your mind.
Well, depending on what you mean by "one of the updates". I guess they may have been altered 10 years ago or something. Certainly not at all since 2014.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 07:59:23 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Justin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you play in young worlds, your much less likely to see werecreatures or vampires.

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because Armok loves you!

As stated above, I just dig an entrance tunnel, chain a bunny at the far end, and don't sweat it. It's very much one of those things that stops being an issue except for new players and certain play styles. Or if you are just really really unlucky.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile

Because Armok loves you!

As stated above, I just dig an entrance tunnel, chain a bunny at the far end, and don't sweat it. It's very much one of those things that stops being an issue except for new players and certain play styles. Or if you are just really really unlucky.
certain playstyles like havin a surface fort?
honestly it's quite difficult to have an entryway that either consists of a surface fort or a long trapway that guarantees enoguh time to close all drawbridgegates before the werebeast can enter without making the entryway too long to be efficient while not under siege.
i mean everything is fucking slow in this game, except wild beasts. the dorfs take ages to walk 100m just to realize they got hungry doing so and return back inside the fort to eat and drink, then walk halfway out again and repeat.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 04:42:16 pm by Pvt. Pirate »
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

I have 2,5 years old fortress that hasn't been attacked by werebeasts yet, oddly.

Oddly considering that there certainly are live werebeasts in the world (checked with legends mode). I know the world's rather similar predecessor did get attacked by one, though, so not sure what's the cause. Seems they've been inactive, checking legends.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have 2,5 years old fortress that hasn't been attacked by werebeasts yet, oddly.

Oddly considering that there certainly are live werebeasts in the world (checked with legends mode). I know the world's rather similar predecessor did get attacked by one, though, so not sure what's the cause. Seems they've been inactive, checking legends.
OPs observations don't match with my plays. They can come early, but just as many times don't. Sometimes you just don't get them at all. Maybe depends on the location of their lair (but, they might be being sent out randomly like titans still).

Along with the default settings nerf, hopefully the next version will get some adjustable pop and wealth triggers.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 09:57:16 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you play in young worlds, your much less likely to see werecreatures or vampires.

I only play in young worlds (50 years or less). Of the last 40 forts, 38 have been attacked before the first winter. Five years ago, I never saw werebeasts; I didn't even know they existed.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Pvt. Pirate: Player locked doors are fast enough to keep weres occupied until drawbridges can be raised (and frequently until they turn back). If you consider that to be an exploit you need a lot of advance warning that they're inbound to have a reasonable chance to react with a lever pull, though.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why does every single fort get attacked by werecreatures in the first year?
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 04:55:48 pm »

"Regardless of population" is not a thing in the current version. A trigger was added. You can even set it in Advanced Worldgen settings (defaults to 50, much higher than it used to be). So you must be playing an old version. Build a drawbridge.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 04:57:30 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2020, 05:19:24 pm »

....Mross did write this a year ago, Shonai.

If you really aren't a werebeast fan, setting the trigger to 500 citizens should solve most issues. Also, preparing for werebeasts can be done; dig a hospital with a long corridor and door. If anyone gets injured in the attack, they can go to the hospital for their injury. Lock the door, then wall the door in. Wait a month, and if they don't turn, unlock the door and unwall them.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2020, 03:53:26 am »

....Mross did write this a year ago, Shonai.

If you really aren't a werebeast fan, setting the trigger to 500 citizens should solve most issues. Also, preparing for werebeasts can be done; dig a hospital with a long corridor and door. If anyone gets injured in the attack, they can go to the hospital for their injury. Lock the door, then wall the door in. Wait a month, and if they don't turn, unlock the door and unwall them.
Ah, OK.
Why are we still discussing it then?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2020, 02:12:50 pm »

It appears mross decided to go necromancer on us unexpectedly. I guess someone left a relevant slab around?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2020, 02:18:29 pm »

It seems that slab got repurposed by some entity and handed over to mross, so I think it's time to make a new one...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4