Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Why does every single fort get attacked by werecreatures in the first year?  (Read 9475 times)

MC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why does every single fort get attacked by werecreatures in the first year?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2020, 09:53:53 am »

"Regardless of population" technically is correct. The trigger only controls already crazed werebeasts being summoned onto your map a la megabeasts. Attacks from other sources, such as visitors/migrants/random NPCs on the map who just happen to have been infected in worldgen are unaffected by it. I don't know if that's intentional or not but you can 100% be attacked by werebeasts before even the first migrant wave happens. You can sorta prevent that by not opening any locations to the public until you're prepared, and one thing a lot of people don't seem to know is that building destroyers (werebeasts specifically) are horribly bugged and very easy to stop with regular old locked doors (just leave the door unlocked until they're about to go through then lock it in their face and their pathing breaks. Or just make it impossible to get out of your tavern without having to go through the bottom of a hatch cover.).

That said I don't think the fact that the same few exploits that trivialize literally every other threat in the game work against them is a good enough reason to say that werebeasts aren't overtuned ATM. I think it's fair to say that werebeasts are a more real threat that just about everything else you can randomly encounter short of like, a flying steel blob with dust/webbing related to death and nightmares showing up
This is a terrible mod. All crashmanship is of the highest quality. This object is adorned with hanging rings of notification spam. This object menaces with spikes of llama wool. On the item is an image of a large oval dwarf flesh cabochan in elf bone. The artwork relates to the attack of an unknown creature on an unknown creature in a time before time. It was inevitable.

Carpecanum

• Bay Watcher
  • your mother, for her haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2020, 02:38:55 pm »

LOL.  It just got worse.  You don't get a warning if somebody is visiting, just a note.  So a visitor walked right up and then changed into a were-giraffe.  No "Now you know why you fear the night" just a bunch of dead dwarves. 
Filthy Casual ftw

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2020, 05:32:56 pm »

That seemed to be the case for me as well. I disabled Vampires and Werebeasts in my current world and it's still early but so far instead I've been attacked by:

Year 2: Cyclops
Year 3: Goblin Siege and a Roc by summer. That Roc massacred a bunch of livestock before the military took it down. Now we'll feast for months.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2020, 05:49:33 pm »

I just set night creatures to zero and only embark on tundra or glacier now, and immediately wall off the entrance as soon as the game starts, only deconstructing one tile to let migrants in if I need them. Weird that toady put in all these features dealing with other civs and then made them completely unnecessary.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2020, 09:30:37 pm »

Weird that toady put in all these features dealing with other civs and then made them completely unnecessary.

Unneccessary =/= unfun.

You could just bring a lot of food and a weapon each, and let your dorfs chill on the surface with no jobs, training their fighting skills. But it's more fun to dig and make a fort.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2020, 08:25:08 am »

Weird that toady put in all these features dealing with other civs and then made them completely unnecessary.

Unneccessary =/= unfun.

You could just bring a lot of food and a weapon each, and let your dorfs chill on the surface with no jobs, training their fighting skills. But it's more fun to dig and make a fort.
Do not make excuses for bad design.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2020, 10:00:53 pm »

Unneccessary =/= unfun.
Do not make excuses for bad design.
...wow.

Nah, I don't see it as bad design. This game we all love is meant to be a medium for story making, and the civ stuff makes stories. Good ones. That makes this good design by definition: it does what it set out to do.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2020, 05:42:19 am »

It's rather odd to claim that a sandbox game that provides a lot of toys to play with but doesn't force the player to use the toys is bad design.

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2020, 02:36:04 pm »

I understand him being salty. God knows I was salty after losing the third fort in a row to werecreatures. But I learned.

Mrross, implement an airlock system to your fort. Do not let immigrants or visitors inside your fort until the next full moon has passed. Wiki has the dates. Don't let your dwarves go outside.

Get a military squad in metal armour as quickly as possible. Even copper will stop most bites and scratches. Pay close attention to the combat reports and if a dwarf gets bitten and/or scratched, give them a suitable nickname. I prefer "BITTEN!!!" to make sure it's impossible to miss. Then after the combat, I wall everyone with that nickname inside and wait until next full moon to see what happens. If they turn, they get to stay inside the walls. If they don't turn, they can rejoin the fortress.

And of course, you can always use DFHack to kill them or edit the init file to prevent their existence in the first place. No reason to STILL be salty about it and type up thinly veiled insults to Toady here.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2020, 11:06:14 pm »

I understand him being salty. God knows I was salty after losing the third fort in a row to werecreatures. But I learned.

What I learned is to jack up embark points slightly to bring weapons and armor as a precaution. For the longest time I found myself equally butthurt over them, though I personally turned werecreatures off cause until we got settings to control them a bit relatively recently, since there was literally no rhyme or reason to their attacks or when they'd come as far as the average player was concerned far as I could tell.

Get a military squad in metal armour as quickly as possible. Even copper will stop most bites and scratches. Pay close attention to the combat reports and if a dwarf gets bitten and/or scratched, give them a suitable nickname. I prefer "BITTEN!!!" to make sure it's impossible to miss. Then after the combat, I wall everyone with that nickname inside and wait until next full moon to see what happens. If they turn, they get to stay inside the walls. If they don't turn, they can rejoin the fortress.

Scratches don't transfer the curse (though more often than not a scratch is perfectly able to just tear limbs off cause of how big they tend to be compared to a dwarf.) Nor does a shake, it's a bite that breaks the skin on initial contact - including bites that rip off limbs when they connect. Take it from someone who fights literally everything where possible with soldiers, never once had a guy turn from a scratch.

Getting limbs ripped off and them managing to survive on the other hand...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2020, 02:59:25 pm »

Embrace the werelama

Ascend to woolly goodness

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2020, 01:40:38 pm »

Embrace the werelama

Ascend to woolly goodness
thx. now i'm trying to imagine dorfs trying to sheer a rampaging werellama, while wearing totally OP fullplate armour to not get bitten.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2020, 07:07:11 pm »

It's rather odd to claim that a sandbox game that provides a lot of toys to play with but doesn't force the player to use the toys is bad design.
The werecreatures are objectively poorly designed.

Mrross, implement an airlock system to your fort. Do not let immigrants or visitors inside your fort until the next full moon has passed. Wiki has the dates. Don't let your dwarves go outside.

And of course, you can always use DFHack to kill them or edit the init file to prevent their existence in the first place. No reason to STILL be salty about it and type up thinly veiled insults to Toady here.
Nah, I just wall myself off, underground farming trivializes everything. My insults to Toady remain correct. He's bad at designing games correctly.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2020, 08:38:27 pm »

Won't work once digging invaders are implemented.

Complaining about an unfinished sandbox game. ::)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2020, 03:23:46 pm »

thx. now i'm trying to imagine dorfs trying to sheer a rampaging werellama, while wearing totally OP fullplate armour to not get bitten.
It's a tough job but somebody's gotta shear the were-sheep
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4