Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Incredibly complex game like aurora/mekhq?  (Read 6580 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Incredibly complex game like aurora/mekhq?
« on: December 17, 2019, 03:46:47 pm »

We all know about the complexity of DF, aurora 4x and mekhq, is there any other game like that? where graphic are borberline inexistant but the conplexity is real?

Im trying to know if there is more game like those, but it aint easy using google and do complex game or spreadsheets game.

Throw me your golden find.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Incredibly complex game like aurora/mekhq?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 04:02:05 pm »

If you like naval ship design, Rule the Waves (2) is also in the theme of complex spreadsheet games.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 04:53:59 pm »

If you like military sims you might want to check out turn-based "War in the Pacific" (from matrix games) or real-time "Command: Moder Air/Naval Operations" (from warfare sims). CMANO was getting some new more user-friendly sequel/remake? There are also more serious takes on grand strategy games than paradox titles made by Ageod like "To End All Wars".

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 04:57:35 pm »

There's this game called Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. Post-apocalyptic survival roguelike with absurd complexity. I can't even begin to elaborate on it...
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 05:49:28 pm »

There's this game called Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. Post-apocalyptic survival roguelike with absurd complexity. I can't even begin to elaborate on it...
Is it really? I would just say that there's a immense amount of content rather than complexity.
Would still recommend it though.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 05:57:45 pm »

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East is one of, if not the most expensive single purchase games I’ve got at a hefty $80 USD. It’s maybe not as in your face complex as aurora is, but there’s enough going on that it feels like a very solid turn based strategic military simulator. It takes place over the course of Operation Barbarossa and the invasion of the Soviet Union, and requires not only solid military planning, but overcoming logistical issues as well - the most prominent of which is the diffferent gauge of Soviet rails vs German, and sending engineers to make proper modifications.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 06:45:29 pm »

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East is one of, if not the most expensive single purchase games I’ve got at a hefty $80 USD. It’s maybe not as in your face complex as aurora is, but there’s enough going on that it feels like a very solid turn based strategic military simulator. It takes place over the course of Operation Barbarossa and the invasion of the Soviet Union, and requires not only solid military planning, but overcoming logistical issues as well - the most prominent of which is the diffferent gauge of Soviet rails vs German, and sending engineers to make proper modifications.

Might as well mention the slightly newer War in the West, which used the same engine and system, but fleshed-out the air war, added rules for airborne and seaborne assault, and had a more detailed weather simulation among others. The main game featured, as it says on the tin, WWII Western Front from the Sicily landings to the end. There was also an add-on for North Africa.

I think both games are currently on sale for the season too.

EDIT: Other than that, I could think of...proper railway signalling sims (yes, such things exist) from SimSig and Blockpost Software and a few other outfits, which required a non-trivial understanding of real-life principles, and no small amount of reading and familiarisation as to the particularities of the area of your responsibility, and in the latter's case, bell codes and lever pull sequences.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 07:08:17 pm by JWNoctis »
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 06:52:16 pm »

Might as well mention the slightly newer War in the West, which used the same engine and system, but fleshed-out the air war, added rules for airborne and seaborne assault, and had a more detailed weather simulation among others. The main game featured, as it says on the tin, WWII Western Front from the Sicily landings to the end. There was also an add-on for North Africa.

I think both games are currently on sale for the season too.

To link to it:

https://www.slitherine.com/game/gary-grigsbys-war-in-the-west/pc

Thats an AMAZING sale. And its steam version too it looks like.

Keep in mind, gotta buy it there for the sale since on steam its still full priced. But you get steam version anyway apparently, at least has steam icon

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 08:50:26 pm »

War in the Pacific is on sale too.

If you were personally to choose between the two. Would you go War in the Pacific or war in the west? I always loved pacific gameplay in games, but war in the west is newer so I imagine has more quality of life stuff. Though I still hear a lot of good about war in the pacific as well.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 10:56:35 pm »

If you were personally to choose between the two. Would you go War in the Pacific or war in the west? I always loved pacific gameplay in games, but war in the west is newer so I imagine has more quality of life stuff. Though I still hear a lot of good about war in the pacific as well.

I personally would go with War in the Pacific... you can designate specific pilots to go back and start training future classes! As Japan, you can control what engines/planes to build!

EDIT: I always get a little sad when someone starts a thread here where my first thought is "OH YEAH! THIS IS MY JAM!!!" Then I look at the list and I already own everything on it. :-/

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2019, 11:10:43 pm »

I personally would go with War in the Pacific... you can designate specific pilots to go back and start training future classes! As Japan, you can control what engines/planes to build!

EDIT: I always get a little sad when someone starts a thread here where my first thought is "OH YEAH! THIS IS MY JAM!!!" Then I look at the list and I already own everything on it. :-/

Yeah I was about to post, but I went with War in the Pacific. Actually don't think seen it on sale before though I imagine it has (must be rare though), and its a really good price. So whenever I start, I imagine gonna lose lots of months of my life :P Looks really great though.

To add a game. There is the mars simulation project. That game went way over my head, no idea what I was doing or if it was just a watching simulator or something. But here is a link to latest releases

https://github.com/mars-sim/mars-sim/releases

It took me months to get it working and then I got too confused after trying to figure it out for a few days lol.

There is Per Aspera. But who knows if that will even release cause devs haven't said a single thing at all but they could be hard at work. But looks like it'll be indepth and judging by screenshots looks like it'll be the best mars simulator to date. No idea how complex it'll be, but since I put mars simulation project, might as well put per aspera. (I try to sneak in a per aspera suggestion in these threads if it fits :P)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/803050/Per_Aspera/
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 11:14:01 pm by Trolldefender99 »

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2019, 01:53:30 am »

To add a game. There is the mars simulation project. That game went way over my head, no idea what I was doing or if it was just a watching simulator or something. But here is a link to latest releases

https://github.com/mars-sim/mars-sim/releases

It took me months to get it working and then I got too confused after trying to figure it out for a few days lol.
I think I tried to run that all by itself over many nights some years ago, since it appeared to play itself well. And the end result is: Everyone died.

Most died when their vehicle broke down, did not carry the proper spare and run out of oxygen before relief could arrive. A few died when their relief vehicle broke down together with their would-be rescuers. Most of the rest died of fire in their base.

While I understand that colonizing Mars would be hard, this was just brutal.

WitP sounded like micromanagement heaven. Not exactly my cuppa but does allow for amazing AARs. :P
WitW tracked pilot name, assignment, and statistics, but I have no idea if that's anything like it is in WitP.

Also pretty sure you did not already own all those railway signalling sims. :P But how do you call a niche inside a niche? A cubicle?

But yeah, between games-that-looked-passable-for-a-spreadsheet-software and games-that-felt-too-close-to-someone's-job, there still aren't nearly enough out there, and the latter is not exactly on-topic for the OP.

EDIT:
There is Per Aspera. But who knows if that will even release cause devs haven't said a single thing at all but they could be hard at work. But looks like it'll be indepth and judging by screenshots looks like it'll be the best mars simulator to date. No idea how complex it'll be, but since I put mars simulation project, might as well put per aspera. (I try to sneak in a per aspera suggestion in these threads if it fits :P)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/803050/Per_Aspera/

Seemed like Surviving Mars on a larger and more abstract scale, from screenshots on the official site...Definitely gonna see where this one goes.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 02:10:01 am by JWNoctis »
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

nadia911

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2019, 09:45:41 am »

Hi, you should try the strategy game Pride of Nations by Ageod, very complex game

https://store.steampowered.com/app/73190/Pride_of_Nations/

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2019, 02:00:58 pm »

Hi !

Cataclysm DDA is more "full on content" than "full of complexity". It's enormous and you must play it, but it's "easy" to play without becoming crazy.

Maybe Arcen's Games, like AI War 1&2.

Factorio, too.

Shores of Hazeron
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 02:02:37 pm by ( Tchey ) »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2019, 02:37:02 pm »

I always enjoyed Gearhead.

You're a mech pilot, engineer, singer, fighter, or other person who is trying to get revenge for a randomly-generated thing that happened in your past. Fighting at mech scale and human scale are different, but putting too many points into engineering allows you to make hilariously complicated robots to fight in. Getting different factions to like you more can earn you rewards like cyberware. You also have a separate global reputation that affects what jobs you can get, and how difficult the game is. It's not for everyone, but if you're willing to put in the time to learn the systems, it's entertaining.
Pages: [1] 2 3