Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Incredibly complex game like aurora/mekhq?  (Read 6579 times)

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Incredibly complex game like aurora/mekhq?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2019, 04:03:29 pm »

In my opinion, a game should only be considered as being  'complex'   if  it's 'solution-set' is hard to deduce as a result of  high decision complexity.    If a game merely grants the player a large amount of freedom for achieving an easily attainable goal,  then the game isn't complex in my opinion and is merely a sandbox, irrespective of the game's rule complexity. 

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2019, 06:33:52 pm »

In my opinion, a game should only be considered as being  'complex'   if  it's 'solution-set' is hard to deduce as a result of  high decision complexity.    If a game merely grants the player a large amount of freedom for achieving an easily attainable goal,  then the game isn't complex in my opinion and is merely a sandbox, irrespective of the game's rule complexity.

Well, you're going to have to take that one up with Merriam-Webster.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2019, 07:03:55 pm »

I always enjoyed Gearhead.

You're a mech pilot, engineer, singer, fighter, or other person who is trying to get revenge for a randomly-generated thing that happened in your past. Fighting at mech scale and human scale are different, but putting too many points into engineering allows you to make hilariously complicated robots to fight in. Getting different factions to like you more can earn you rewards like cyberware. You also have a separate global reputation that affects what jobs you can get, and how difficult the game is. It's not for everyone, but if you're willing to put in the time to learn the systems, it's entertaining.
Gearhead..Oh gud, Gearhead. And it's still in active development. Beautiful.

Yeah, that one's gonna scratch the mech itch...Though I was under the impression that most of the juicy bits were well-hidden or under the hood, when I played the first one. Wonder if the later two are better in that respect.

"A large amount of freedom" itself is often a large part of the complexity. Choices can be hard for human wetware, especially when there's a lot of things to weight, and when merely attaining the goal is not satisfying.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2020, 12:02:20 am »

The problem with this attitude is that even the most complex (your definition) games can and will be broken down to optimal paths.

Take Aurora. If you understand how all of the interlocking systems of ship design function, you can build optimal ships for any given TL of challenge. The only difficulty at that point is pretty simple macro to boost your R&D and production enough to get to safe territory (~TL6) before one of the potential early game hazards (Swarm Queen on Earth before you can kill one, Invaders jumping into Sol, &c.) swats you. Aurora's not a complex game, just a game about being reasonably efficient with your economy, right?

It's not a "solved" game in the sense that existing chess-playing AI are fairly close to solving chess, but the known pool of high-efficiency strategies and tactics is small enough to make any efficient campaign broadly similar, distinguished only by the semi-random aspects and level of self-imposed challenge you take on.

For other examples, just about every classic game of any note has been broken down to a single most-efficient route by speedrunners, to the extent that for certain titles the only way of reasonably ensuring a faster record time is the discovery of a relevant and previously unknown exploit.

In brief, I disagree with your point, because every game has simple enough goal-states that "winning" can be broken down into two things: whether the player took one of the optimal paths, and whether luck-based aspects fell in the player's favor. Given that optimal paths are fairly easy to determine with some trial and error, that would propose that complexity is solely derived from the presence and number of random and pseudo-random elements. It's a little reductive, but by that logic a digital slot machine would be the most complex game around since there's almost no way to optimize play.

There's also the question of how granular you want to be when defining the decision-making process. Touhou games, by one standard, are incredibly simple. Screen scroll, you hold fire and move around. From another standard, you're making hundreds of decisions per minute, each vital to your continued success. You can do the same thing for any game to get any outcome you want.

As far as I'm concerned, complexity isn't a value-statement to begin with. A game should have the appropriate level of complexity for what it is trying to do. Is checkers worse than chess because it's not as complex? Is chess worse than Stratego because it doesn't have the hidden pieces and bluffing element, or better because it has more complex piece interactions? Are both better or worse than Risk? Is Risk worthless because EUIV exists?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2020, 11:53:40 am »

Definitely the Dominions series. It has extreme strategic and tactical depth that I've not seen in basically any other game, and grasping it fully takes a long time. The mechanics are a lot simpler to learn than Aurora or DF, but the ways they can actually be used vary greatly, and you will spend a lot of time learning new ways to use them.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2020, 06:34:57 pm »

If you want to master crafting, Catackysm DDA can prove very complex and deep.

Does anyone know other games, preferably roguelikes, with very complex crafting systems?

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2020, 07:22:29 pm »

I wouldn't call it really complex, but from a gameplay perspective you can get quite a few cool things out of DoomRL's mod system. Recipes for legendary weapons, or just things that give your build some real power are nice. It's more-so the somewhat limited inventory space and deciding just how many mods you do want to carry (instead of ammo/arnour/healthkits) for future potential upgrades that's the tricky bit.

Totally different from DDA's open world thing, but still a bit deeper than some other games.

Unreal World also has a bit of crafting going on. It's not that it's really that complex, it's just that it can get pretty intensive. Making a "thing" is easy. Making an entire log cabin with a fence line and pit traps for free food is hard.
It's a game. Have fun.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2020, 09:15:59 pm »

I wouldn't call it really complex, but from a gameplay perspective you can get quite a few cool things out of DoomRL's mod system.

I would say that DoomRl has one of the best mod/crafting systems I've ever used. A bit more breaking down items to craft new items and...

It's all functional things you'd want, semi-intuitive, scales with skill, and takes up only a slightly annoying amount of inventory space.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2020, 09:20:41 pm »

I always enjoyed Gearhead.

You're a mech pilot, engineer, singer, fighter, or other person who is trying to get revenge for a randomly-generated thing that happened in your past. Fighting at mech scale and human scale are different, but putting too many points into engineering allows you to make hilariously complicated robots to fight in. Getting different factions to like you more can earn you rewards like cyberware. You also have a separate global reputation that affects what jobs you can get, and how difficult the game is. It's not for everyone, but if you're willing to put in the time to learn the systems, it's entertaining.

Personally, I prefer to create a character with high Knowledge, max Robotics and Leadership but spend no more skill points, then use the created character's XP to max out Robotics and create an army of robotic sidekicks in Gearhead 1.  Gearhead 2 put lancemate limits, so its not as much fun.  They're different games, for sure.

GearCity, on the other hand, is probably the best car company sim that I've played.  It combines the best of Motorcity and Detroit.  Steam purchase (dunno if sold elsewhere).  It's one of those games where you play it for a while, then you set it aside, then you think about again when your car breaks down, or you're sitting in traffic looking at the other cars.  Then you boot it up again.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2020, 01:46:30 am »

idk, I got both Gearcity and Automation and find the latter more interesting, the ui explain a lot more of what's happening with each design choice.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2020, 02:22:31 am »

If you're up for a business sim, Capitalism Plus would probably fit the bill. Probably. Maybe I'm just not very good at it.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms/ Nobunaga's Ambition might too. In fact, most of Koei's simulation series would. Pacific Theatre of Operations is wonderful if you like a totally incomprehensible user interface. Ghengis Khan 2 is good if you don't and have downloaded the manual so you know what the little symbols mean.

Stars! (an old win3.x game) is wonderful in all its spreadsheety, micromanagey goodness. It's a 4x space game, but the mathsyness of it, the interface, and actually pretty high amount of tactics available makes things like MoO2 look pretty casual in comparison (because they are). Surprisingly good non-cheaty AI opponents for its time too.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 02:29:29 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2020, 07:50:06 am »

Stars! was wonderful but it's hard to get your hands on these days, and I remember having trouble running it on modern hardware/os.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2020, 10:09:42 am »

Stars! was amazing, played it a lot, just mentionning made me want to replay it .
On a modern OS like win10 64 bits, Stars! just does not work unfortunately.

But very fortunately you have several solutions that will then work without a problem on those OS (if you don't want to use a virtual box with an older window on it), the best one from my tests is Starswine for window :

https://wiki.starsautohost.org/wiki/Get_Stars!#StarsWine_.28Windows.29
No need to install anything, the archive contain everything that is needed, you only need your Stars! serial code for the first run (looks for the Starsfaq on how to get one) and you can then have fun.
From what i had tested the Starswine one works flawlessly and much faster than the Dosbox one.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 10:56:58 am by Robsoie »

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2020, 07:12:27 pm »

Well, there goes the rest of my day, after spending 15 minutes looking for the key.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2020, 08:32:33 pm »

Wow, thanks. I'd been running win3.1 through dosbox, but that'll be much easier. Now the galaxy may once more fear my Space Demolitionists (or more likely, JoaTs, until I learn how to play really well again).
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 [2] 3