Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Since my saves imploed, what should I do next?

Make a new Desert Fort, using the challenges and resistrctions of the last
- 0 (0%)
Roll a new challenge, and try that one instead.
- 2 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: March 13, 2020, 02:54:18 pm

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Tower Fort  (Read 5621 times)

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Tower Fort
« on: December 17, 2019, 10:12:36 pm »

Today, my fellow dorfs, I embark on my first ever attempt to make a fortress that is out of my comfort zone.

It will probably end in horrible, bloody failure.

But would we have it any other way?

Using the Scenario Generator website (https://scenariogenerator.net/generators/dwarf-fortress) I will attempt a random scenario generated.

Huh, that's actually fairly simple, yes a desert fort with no mechanisms is definitely something I've never done before, but It's not like, say, colonizing the circus.

As for goals you can see that we must become Noah and collect ALL the animals

So, tomorrow (As it's getting fairly late where I am) I will begin the construction of the newly dubbed "Desert Fortress"
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 03:25:53 pm by 4powerd »
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Desert Fort
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 10:48:48 pm »

As a side note, I rerolled a couple times and yes, colonizing the circus is an actual goal you can get on this site.
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Begining
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 06:08:41 pm »

Sorry for the delay! Took a bit longer then I expected, but without further ado

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, that looks like a good place to start! A rocky wasteland huh? (Sorry about size, for some reason it won't paste the resized version, only the original, if someone knows how to fix that, please tell me)

Here are my dwarves, now since this is a desert, I'm fairly certain that I won't have much use of axes and woodworkers until I breach the caverns, and there'll be plenty of time to train new woodchoppers and forge/buy new axes by then. I think my usual woodchopper shall be a miner instead

In the same vein there's limited use for a herbalist, he'll become our forge worker!

Here you can see that, by extension, I got rid of my ax and got another pickax, I also purchased some chickens to help with fulfilling goal of being Noah.

And We're off! We've recovered our expedition name as "The Radiant Tower" And our fortress name as "Guild Page"

Ah, here we are, a yellow, barren, wasteland.
Lovely!

Luckily there seems to be a bit of grazing area, not much, so I'll cast a large net for both pairs of my animals.

Hoo boy, that didn't take long, barely seconds after arriving, my dwarves were greeted with the sight of 9 gigantic flies flying around.

Naturally, the first thing I want to do is get my dwarves out of the scorching sun, so I instruct my miners to begin digging out a large area underground, away from the anger of the sun.

Of course, saying that, I realize that it may be problematic for my fisherdwarf, who's out in the heat constantly to fish for....well, fish

Lucky! It's a bit hard to see, but if you look in his personally, you'll see he actually likes working outside! A bit elfish but it's a boon right now.

As I was worrying about the personality of a fisherdwarf, my miners finished digging out two rooms, the one to the north will be our meeting area for now, as well as a haven for my birds, cats, and dogs. It also functions as a generic temple.

The one to the west will be a storage, as we need to get everything we can inside as soon as possible, before something explodes.

You know something will.
GENERATION 30:

Carfter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 10:45:18 am »

I've just recently undertaken a similar embark as this. It's a haunted desert that rains dwarf blood. Nothing like being covered in your kinfolks' blood to put a pep in your step. keep us updated  :D

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 06:22:10 am »

You need to add width tag to your images to resize them. i.e. [img width=800]

Also, that's going to turn into a jungle in few years, the desert and grassland? biome both.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 08:22:47 am »

- If you need more pasture at some point, you could maybe dig out an area in the sand layer underground and fertilize it with cavern spores! You'd have to keep the place clear of dead saplings and whatnot, but it'd be safer and maybe more reliable than the surface world.

- Dwarves don't care in the least about excessively warm conditions, unless they're cave-adapted; rain disturbs them far more than a bright sunny day ever will. For this reason, deserts tend to be rather pleasant for dwarves weather-wise-- I embark in such places regular-like myself, since it's so convenient for large outdoor projects!

All luck to you. ^-^
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 06:47:38 am »

"no mechanisms" is quite the challenge. i mean how will you try to keep the hordes of wild animals at bay? or the invaders?
well, on second thought, every embark is doomed to fail anyway, so why bother...
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 09:47:43 am »

"no mechanisms" is quite the challenge. i mean how will you try to keep the hordes of wild animals at bay? or the invaders?

Easy-- with strategically placed doors, and a horde of dwarfish steel! So long as the militia stands, the fort will stand.

I mean, you could always just turtle in with walls and deconstruct the things whenever you need to access the surface world. But where's the fun in that?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 11:05:42 pm »

Hmm...PTW. This looks interesting. :D Can I get dorfed?
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 12:24:53 am »

Using the Scenario Generator website (https://scenariogenerator.net/generators/dwarf-fortress) I will attempt a random scenario generated.
Posting simply to say thank you for the link. That looks great, I get very frustrated with this game not really aiming toward anything.

Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 09:21:22 am »

- Dwarves don't care in the least about excessively warm conditions, unless they're cave-adapted; rain disturbs them far more than a bright sunny day ever will. For this reason, deserts tend to be rather pleasant for dwarves weather-wise-- I embark in such places regular-like myself, since it's so convenient for large outdoor projects!
Unless it gets extremely hot, in which case Dwarves are liable to die from the heat, and in the most exciting of cases, catch fire. Though you don't usually find places that hot without world-gen butchering

Also desert embark with a noah's ark challenge? Awesome. I love desert embarks, they make great blank canvasses, with plenty of flat ground to work with.

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 07:59:24 am »

Also coming to say thanks for the challenge-generator link. It seems to be fun to play a game based on it once in a while.

Good luck with your fort!

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 05:26:32 am »

Minor correction here: Dwarves do care if the temperature exceeds 10078 U. [78 C]

Because at this point their fat melts into Grease and they basically cook to death. But this also applies to any living thing.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 08:08:21 am »

Minor correction here: Dwarves do care if the temperature exceeds 10078 U. [78 C]

Because at this point their fat melts into Grease and they basically cook to death. But this also applies to any living thing.
atleast in DF.
in reallife, there are organisms (mostly bacteria) with a different composition of their enzymes using S instead of C that live in or near underwater volcanoes.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2020, 04:33:13 am »

Looked at that site and it generated (no booze, trade food only and booze industry only... Not sure if it could be done)
https://scenariogenerator.net/generators/dwarf-fortress/scenario/4a11a24c-d156-424a-b6b1-0a0743647ac3
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime
Pages: [1] 2