Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19

Author Topic: Commander Arms Race: Etroan R&D (Preliminary Turn 5 - Final Phase)  (Read 19326 times)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

Welcome, Etroan Engineer.

Don’t mind the construction sounds, the test facility is still in the works.

War is coming. It’s been a long peace, but it won’t last forever, and tensions are brewing with the awful Askians. As you all know, in the Treaty of Iraine, all signatories agreed to make efforts to disarm. And our leaders at the time, expecting similar honor from other countries, actually did it! They decommisioned the R&D division and ceremonially burned it’s headquarters, and the funding was never fronted to rebuild it! Until now, that is. So we’re rebuilding R&D from scratch. While our facilities are built, we'll be looking to our past to gain inspiration for the weapons of our future. 

---

Ours is a long, eventful history compared to many nations. Oh the advancements we made, the wars we won and the culture we created! But even the greatest states started from nothing. We were once a people no different from the other tribes and soon-to-be-kingdoms of humanity, whether we were nomadic sailors or desert hunters or settling in an arboreal forest. But we would soon change that.

It is now the Design Phase.

There will be two designs this turn. For the first, you are asked what set your people apart from the rest in this era? What technology defined the not-yet Etroans?

The second design this turn, is what unique resource was found in your lands, and nowhere else? What nearly magic (and in fact, your ancestors may well have thought it magic!) material gave your people early advantages?

While not strictly required, it is encouraged to include narrative in these designs - particularly, at this early stage, what sort of terrain your nation found itself in, as this will influence the map.

---

Core Thread

---

Preliminary Design Phase 1
Preliminary Revision Phase 1
Preliminary Design Phase 2
Preliminary Revision Phase 2
Preliminary Design Phase 3
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 02:42:02 pm by Twinwolf »
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Commander Arms Race: Etroan R&D (Preliminary Turn 1)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 02:06:51 pm »

here
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 03:17:04 pm »

In!

The Devil's Swarm

Tales from our ancient past tell us of the first time we encountered the Mutabeetle. [NAME PENDING] The small herds of large, vicious beasts were a major threat to the early inhabitants of the area, and early settlements were often protected by walls and stakes. However, a particularly bright healer figured out how to extract the essence that created the monstrosities that used to hunt us, and proceeded to fight monsters, with monsters. Domesticated dogs were turned into warbeasts, and we swiftly established our domain over the region.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 03:24:19 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 07:08:16 pm »

Etroan Clans
Ancient Etroa was a violent and savage place with tall jagged peaks to the East and a unforgiving sea to the west. At some point our earliest ancestors migrated here some scholars say from over the sea and others say from a long forgotten land bridge the truth is nobody quite knows. However when those early Etroan's arrived they settled in tight knit family groups from the coastal swamps to the eastern hills and the dusty plains in between. Becoming masters of there own domains excelling in and carving a niche out in these harsh eco systems. As the progress of man marched on the land and its many deadly creatures became less of a threat the varying clans took to warring with each other be it for slaves, food or treasures. They fought and fought for generations that is until the first High Elder of Etroa came to power unifying the clans and focusing there war making efforts too the east too the land of Askia and its weak inhabitants. Growing strong and powerful off the spoils, at least until that unfortunate peace. However despite the peace the warrior spirit never died within the Etroan and many are excited at this chance of war finally able to once again sally from the fortified clan villages form a great horde once again and sweep the vile Askian dogs from before us.

Etroa Forever, Etroa Eternal

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 08:09:19 pm »

Unique Resource: Etroa has long been known as "The Land of Floating Rocks". It would be immediately apparent to anyone who entered as to why, it is a land where even boulders hover through the air as if they were birds. This unique geographical feature is due to an ore that is rich in this land and only this land - dubbed Etronium. While one may assume this is due to a powerful magnetic force, you would be off the mark. In truth the boulders float as they are somehow less dense then air in perhaps the most spectacular demonstration of Etronium's abilities. It is a metal with highly variable properties based off of its trace components. It can become heavier then lead or lighter than air, as shiny as a mirror or as dull as a brick, hard as diamond or soft as a pillow. In short it is a metal that can be used for any and all purposes, a true miracle resource. In the past Etroans made due with mining material of the specific property they needed, but in relatively recent years scientists have begun experimenting (for peaceful purposes, naturally) with the trace components allowing one form of Etronium to transmute into a different form by adding or removing trace components until they achieve the form they want. The research is currently ongoing, with density modification being the only practical change for large-scale use.

Set Apart: However this resource was not kind to the first Etroans. As cool as the floating boulders where, it meant the land had been plagued with "sandstorms" that threw said boulders across the grassy plains at high speeds. With such a hindrance, permanent settlements were limited to the mountainous coast, with those who lived on the plains and rolling hills being forced into a nomadic lifestyle. Yet humans are adaptive creatures. The first Etroans would carve out floating boulders big enough for a man to fit in, then tie a long rope to it to use as a kite. Their bravest would be sent up into the sky to act as scouts, noticing changes in the weather that would necessitate a swift evacuation via the many rivers that crossed the land. As the first men to fly, this left a strong impression on any foreign visitors and the land itself. Legend says that Etroans descended from the Heavens and have trying to get back ever sense.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 08:58:03 pm »

Not a fan of the whole floating rocks deal i mean it makes tactical sense dont get me wrong but it just seems overdone you know

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 09:08:07 pm »

Not a fan of the whole floating rocks deal i mean it makes tactical sense dont get me wrong but it just seems overdone you know

You want them to get a bunch of floating pebbles together to make a magic carpet cloud thing?

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 09:15:32 pm »

I dont know how to explain it but the whole otherworldly properties of a stone enabling weird and unusual aircraft designs, to me seems over done i mean the war for the cinder spires arms race was built off that principle. Mind you I dont have a better option and it makes sense but from a personal perspective and personal taste wise it just doesnt sit right.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 04:42:57 am »

It was also very similar to cilium in IWAR, what the game that inspired this one was a sequel to.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Commander Arms Race: Etroan R&D (Preliminary Turn 1 - Design Phase)
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 02:52:40 pm »

I've never read either of those games, but got the same complaint on the discord >_>.

Alright, take 2!

Unique Resource: In the temperate forests of Etoa dwells a unique species of insect known as the "Spirit Bee". At first glance it would seem unspectacular, it has a blood red coloration rather than the standard black and yellow you would expect from such a creature, forms large hives taking up the entire trunk of its home tree, and it is slightly smaller than species found elsewhere. Its novelty comes from the hives themselves. They have evolved a unique defensive mechanism, known as "Spirit Glass", making them nearly impervious to predication. Essentially it somehow throws up a hive-shaped field of energy when anything comes near it, preventing any but the native bee population from even approaching the hive. This force-field runs off of the energy stored within the honey cells inside the hive, as such should any prove dedicated enough to endure the stings and spend the time to run out the field they would find an empty husk as their prize.

Set Apart: The first Etroans looked upon this creature with interest and a kind of reverence. They wished to know what was so valuable that the spirits themselves would form in the mortal world to protect it, and put the wisest minds between the mountains and the sea on the case. First was observation, with many years spent simply watching the progress of the insects. The scouts reported that sometimes a large bee would leave the hive, forming a new one elsewhere. This was their chance. Those who dwell on the mountains decided to capture the Queens while they had left the safety of their hive, those in the wooded valley decided to bribe the Queen by creating the perfect conditions for the hive, and those who live by the rocky coast (long used to dealing with the unpredictability of nature) simply wait until she has started making her hive and carve the tree to their purposes before the field goes into effect. In all three cases the result was the same; the invention of bee-keeping. In the following years they would discover ways to bypass the shielding to get the honey within, such as designing the hive in sections with long sticks allowing them to be removed, or hollowing the tree in a way that allows it to be tapped like sap. Some tribes continued to be mobile, coaxing the hive to form in a wooden box on long poles that may be carried or placed into a boat to follow along the winding rivers of the land.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 12:22:45 am »

I do quite like the shield bees. I currently want a mutagen still.

Spirit Bee
Plant/Animal Mutagen: (1) Doomblade
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2019, 02:44:39 am »

Resource: Sunshard (Heat)
Extracted from the eruption of alchemically unique volcanic vents and rifts carved across Etroa's landscapes, Sunshards are incredibly hot pieces of twisted volcanic glass, able to continuously emit heat for decades without exhaustion. Early Etroans relied upon larger Sunshards as essential to a functioning community, heating central dormintories and baking ceramics from clay for all to use.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 12:40:28 pm by The Ensorceler »

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2019, 03:18:09 am »

Remember people; the special resources come with a sphere of influence; like IWAR's Caelium's Gravity, or Gavrilium's Energy; or MWAR's Well Material's Sound (It's also an example of a resource that isn't a specific thing; as Well Materials are 'things that come out of a Well')

Remember to include that with your special resources. If Twin is doing this the same way as MoP did (Twin, please yell at me if I am mistaken); we get one interaction as a freebie with the design of the resource, iirc.

For instance, Sunshards; ok, they emit heat constantly. Is their Sphere Heat? Temperature? Energy? All of these would fit the reaction, but all of which would take it in different directions in terms of possibilities.

But allow me to try one out myself:

Unique Resource: Actnium (As always, if you have a better name; please feel free to make suggestions)
Sphere: Enhancement

Many a foreigner taking an excursion throughout Etroan lands throughout time has witnessed locations on the landscape where bright orange-yellowish lines scar and mark the landscape. In most cases, they thought they struck gold. In most cases, the treasure they found was even more valuable: Actnium. Actnium has a peculiar reaction to the materials it 'bonds' with; it amplifies and enhances one or more of the features of said material; though exactly which is usually dependent on how it was bonded so. It's typically a very involved process to try and figure out how exactly to coax the Actnium to enhance the properties one desires to be enhanced, and not those that would actually render the material worse for the intended role, like brittleness or excessive flexibility. Said enhanced substances are nigh-indistinguishable from its un-enhanced brethren, with the exception of its superior properties; and the fact that it will invariably feature the harsh, nearly glowing orange-yellow lines marking its surface. On it's own, however, Actnium doesn't exactly do much; and frequently takes the form of a powder in its signature color. It's very rarely found on its own in nature, however.

In ancient times; places rich with Actnium were considered Sacred; and one could rarely fault them. The markings themselves that announce the presence of this most precious material must have appeared Divine in nature; the fact that it usually had unusual effects on the land, such as some being significantly more fertile than they had any right being, would only cement that mindset. Most early tribes of the Etroan people either settled near such a sacred location; made frequent trips between a few in their nomadic wandering; or often made pilgrimages to the sites; to bring back their bounty to their people.

And a design to go with it:

Ironbark Armor (to go with Actnium)
While Actnium certainly afforded the early Etroan Tribes a large measure of prosperity; between the locations of great fertility, enhanced stones, or just as a pretty, interesting trade good; what set the Etroan people a cut above the rest was their ingenuity in exploiting this opportunity afforded to them.

Throughout the lands of Etroa groves of a type of what would one day be called ironwood tree are, not exactly common, but not a rare sight either. Occasionally, one of these groves lies atop a Sacred Actnium deposit. Normally, under natural conditions; most plants cannot extract Actnium from the soil; however, these Ironwood trees were not most plants; and over the course of their lifespan, they slowly but surely extract a slow trickle of Actnium into their bodies; enhancing their hardness beyond their already substantial natural state, eventually to a level beyond the capabilities of the tools those early tribes had access to. Little more than a curiosity at first, in spite of the obvious sacredness at play.

But Etroan ingenuity prevailed, first working with fallen branches and smaller still attached twigs; then working with young trees that haven't yet become unworkably hard. Occasionally; an actnium enhanced stone tool was able to be made and used for the task. In one tribe's case the craftsmen slowly carved the branches into the desired shape throughout the trees life, in a decades-long act of craftsmanship that would almost certainly have to be finished by the apprentices. But however the case; the Etroan Tribes had a, though limited, supply of extremely resilient lumber. Though this isn't what set the tribes above their peers, no.

At seeing their finest tools (and sometimes weapons) repeatedly shatter against the sacred ironwood trees, the idea of attempting to garb their finest warriors with the bark of the tree to confer that same resilience to them was born. The results of their efforts; sheets of actnium-marked ironbark supported by similarly enhanced wooden poles typically backed by leather or hide and tied together... It was extremely crude by modern standards; but very effective for the time. With this armor; the champions of the Etroan people had little to fear from both great beasts, or hostile tribes seeking to claim their sacred groves or fields.

Notably, the practice of fabricating Ironbark Armor continued into the early bronze age, though typically only in ceremonial roles, or for metal-poor region's militia.

RIGHT! Tell me what you think, everyone? Suggestions, ideas for improvement, or heck, feel free to outright take the proposals, and make your own, slightly tweaked version of them! I don't mind.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 02:15:31 pm by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2019, 02:45:17 pm »

Quote from: Non-Special-Resource Design
Etroan Baths
Etroa is a land of plentiful volcanic vents and geysers, with rough terrain covered in the remnants of old lava flows interspersed with plains of fertile volcanic soil. Mineral-rich waters spill from geothermal pools and the geysers, poisoning some of the farmland but providing incredible health benefits as their heated, mineralized waters kill bacteria and provide Etroan people with traditions of constant hot baths and the building of nearly-sacred places for hot, sanitation-improving baths. In these ancient days, buildings are more primitive, though quite often the earthworks-walled towns and villages of our ancestors are built around or near such springs, despite the difficulty they impose on gathering fresh water.

Through this ancient tradition, we have become a people that does not suffer for congregating, disease is less prevalent and our health is much improved, for more than one reason. For without realizing it, we built our villages on top of geysers that sprayed small quantities of Actnium into the air to rain down and accumulate in the soil. Our plants grew taller, or were more bountiful, and our animals were healthier and larger thanks to cleanliness and the effects of the material.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2019, 05:40:21 pm »

The Change Venom

Long ago in our history, we first encountered roaming packs of enhanced, vicious animals - each one shaped in a manner uniquely mirroring their environment and abilities. They were also very aggressive, as we soon learned that they were being molded by parasites that injected them with venom and ensured they stayed well fed. Intrigued by what they found, the settlers soon captured some of the beetles and extracted the venom from them. What we found was amazing.

The Change Venom can warp a living being (animal or plant) into a form based on any nutrients mixed in and the form of the animal, emphasizing the being's natural form and abilities.

Domain: Mutation

Paired Design: Does of Burden
The area that the Etroans settled in lacked beasts of burden naturally. To fix this issue, healers experimented on the local small herbivores to create a substitute for both war and industry. A solution was found in deer, who, once improved showed both good speed and strength, suitable for both peace and wartime. Standing taller than a normal human, and lacking antlers typically (most males were too aggressive), they could run and carry superior to the neighbor's equine steeds.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 06:01:42 pm by Doomblade187 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19