Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19

Author Topic: Commander Arms Race: Etroan R&D (Preliminary Turn 5 - Final Phase)  (Read 19031 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Commander Arms Race: Etroan R&D (Preliminary Turn 3 - Design Phase)
« Reply #135 on: January 21, 2020, 02:38:05 pm »

Military Design: Sunic Cartridge (Nerfed)
As materials advanced across the ages, the impressive ability of sun-stone to "explode" any human it managed to enter became less and less relevant as new armor conspired to prevent the rock from eliminating its target. Fortunately, those same advances in materials came up with a solution! Etroan alchemist had, in attempt to turn the base metal into gold, combined crushed sunseed into molten lead creating a material known as Sunic Lead. Sunic Lead is pyrophoric and flammable, a strong enough impact causes it to release impressive amounts of heat and ignite (helpfully igniting anything in contact with it). With this material, the alchemist had ironically struck gold - centuries later it would be the choice round for Etroan musketmen. This incendiary round would easily defeat even the greatest plate armor, set alight the mightiest of ships, and send any cowards who dare face the might of Etroa running for the hills.

With this development allowing firearms to become much more common than in many foreign lands, Etroa tended to be on the cutting edge of gun development. They developed a paper cartridge to allow for faster rates of fire and to give the powder some amount of water resistance. There would be two compartments made out of paper, one with a Sunic Lead ball and another with the powder charge. The end of the cartridge would be bit open to allow for some powder to be placed on the pan while the rest of the powder would be poured down the barrel, followed by the remaining paper and the ball (with the helpful assistance of a rod). Our now-loaded firearm could then be fired, the Sunic Round igniting whatever target is unfortunate enough to be in its sights.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 21, 2020, 03:38:46 pm »

Spoiler: N/A (click to show/hide)

Skytear Sunswords
among other weapons made by master blacksmiths

Out on the oceans bottom, where tests were being performs for ships made using Sunseeds to power them,(which were failing rather badly), a metal piece fell into the ocean. It sank like a particularly sharp rock before colliding with a boulder. The metal cracked, and sunseeds spilled out before the ended up creating a hot spot.

This admittedly repeated a few times. More ended up in the seashore before the project was abandoned. However, finally the black earth of the seabed began to crack, and what should come up but rocks, rocketing to the surface after having been buried in the earth for millennia.

They came up and up, and entered the sky, before crashing down in our lands. A strange phenomenon, which found that this material become extremely light once it became hot enough, as noticed by the next day the sun ended up starting to lift the things again.

Etroa secured this resource and found more buried on the shorelines. Difficulty to get to, and prone to being blown along with the wind when warm. However, when forged, it's color changed and became extremely light. And once cooled it became hard again, if silvery now.

There was much experimenting with this rock, called Skytears for undoubtedly having fallen from heaven at some point in the distant past. And we created a devastating weapon with it and sunseeds.

Skytears, when used in a folded sword, was extremely heavy. However, by embedding sunseeds into it while it was soft and light during forging,  parts of it would be lighter than air. This created a new weapon type that was extremely powerful when swung thanks to it's heavy dense edges, but could be wielded normally thanks to a light center. And the Sunseeds still performed their role in boiling the enemy alive. Moreover, these Skytears would eventually prove to be completely non-magnetic, only being a very strange stone material that could be played with to create masterpieces of weaponry like Maces, Picks, and Buster Swords, among other things.

Military: Rúm & the Protection of Eld

We came across a new people and ended up managing to join them to us. The forest country of Eld has long since made use of something they call Rúm, a silver liquid that seeps into objects and changes them. They first used this to guide the trees to grow in certain ways, and to lighten themselves to climb the tall trees away from their foes. Later times saw them apply it to stone and wood weapons to greatly increase their weight and power in combat, and their longbows allowed them great mobility and advantages against their invaders over the years..

However, with the Renaissance, their isolationist times have finally been forced to come to an end by their northern neighbors seeking the wood and animals of the great redwood forest to build their sailing ships. Having come to us, we drove them back with the Rúm made available to us, with more promised, in exchange for leaving their forest be.

Put simply, Rúm can be used to lighten or increase the density of an object, it's weight. Light as air, if not lighter, or heavy as stone and iron, and just as tough.

The main advancement of having Rúm for Etroa as a whole was in metal working. Primarily by adding it to the metals forged in The Angamolen of Damrod during the forging process, metals could be made lightweight, airy, heavy, strong, dense. It greatly boosted the ability to forge strong arms, and the use of Rúm in bullets in particular created a heavy and dense bullet that could pierce most armors of the time.

Later times would eventually come to learn that Rúm was distilled from the sap of the Silver Weirwood Tree which grew in the forests to a height of 30 feet, in comparison to the redwoods which grew far slower and bigger. Their lightness also came to be from applying it to their leather armor and most of their gear, allowing them to hop between the trees upward. No, they didn't tell us how they got it to that level of lightness in leather, we tend to work in metal.

Rúm seeps into the structure of objects, and is liquid. It's boiling and freezing points have not been discovered however. Objects can usually only hold a certain amount of Rúm, at which point, it no longer absorbs. Once Rúm has entered something, it doesn't leave. This has lead to a few deaths on it's own due to health problems.

How Rúm is Processed affects the end result of it. Taking the sap and letting it cool over nights would lead to Rúm that makes materials denser. Boiling it over a fire until the water in the pot evaporates creates something that makes an object less dense once absorbed.

Rúm's Sphere happens to be Material Density. That is, manipulating Density of materials. Generally, Denser things either change material form, or require more of that material for the same volume as lighter ones. Though this may not always hold true for all interactions of Rúm.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 08:17:54 pm by TricMagic »

Vostok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 21, 2020, 07:13:16 pm »

Quote from: Since the New Guy Already Voted, Lets get the Box Up
Military:
Sunseedlock Musket: ()
Plasma Bomb Reaction: ()
NOLAS: ()
The Tulenov Steam-Clipper: ()
Sunic Cartridge: (3) Stirk, Rockeater, Madman
Sun Rounds: (2) TricMagic, Vostok

Civilian:
Great Galleon: (1) Stirk
NOLAS, bis: ()
Moonseeds and the Steam Train: (3) Vivalas, TricMagic, Rockeater Veto by GM
Public Sanitation: (3) Madman, TricMagic, Vostok

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 21, 2020, 07:39:40 pm »

Military:
Sunic Cartridge: (3) Stirk, Rockeater, Madman  (Note, Vetoed by GM)
Sun Rounds: (1)  Vostok
Sunic Cartridges(Nerfed): ()
Rúm & the Protection of Eld: (1) TricMagic

Civilian:

Quote from: Eld Lore
Eld, while known by most to be isolationist, do export some goods in exchange for imports they themselves cannot make or gather, with one thing they import being salt. Of these, the drink known as Chief Morgan's Rum is particularly popular as an alcoholic beverage export. It is said it is named after their first chief for leading his society against the invaders of the time.

They also export specialty tree seeds, redwood, and vegetables. And rarely exotic fruit, if you want it. Though sugar is their most popular export, if low in quantity. They guard it's secrets fiercely.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 07:48:41 pm by TricMagic »

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 21, 2020, 07:46:55 pm »

It's a practical design and I really like the fluff about it, Tric's Rúm design.
Given Twinwolf's comments in Discord, mayhaps emphasize the engineering parts of the Public Sanitation design?

Military:
Rúm & the Protection of Eld: (2) TricMagic, Jilladilla

Civilian:

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 22, 2020, 03:59:49 am »

Military:

Civilian:
Public Sanitation: (4) Madman, TricMagic, Vostok, Rockeater
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 22, 2020, 08:55:58 am »

Military:
Sunic Cartridge: (3) Stirk, Rockeater, Madman (Note, Vetoed by GM)

Civilian:

I will note that I added this and then Jill voted using the old copy. So maybe switch to the active one Rockeater.

Or the new resource. While it certainly is the density of depleted uranium, dense enough to tear through most armor of this time, hopefully. Along with whatever other metalworks may be made with it.

The nerfed Sunic Version is
pyrophoric and flammable, a strong enough impact causes it to release impressive amounts of heat and ignite (helpfully igniting anything in contact with it).

Rúm also has the ability to lighten stuff too, so it will have uses in aircraft down the line. Or perhaps managing lighter than air craft for Steam Zeppelins.

Vostok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 22, 2020, 10:20:54 am »

Military:
NOLAS: (1) Vostok
Sunic Cartridge: (3) Stirk, Rockeater, Madman (Note, Vetoed by GM)
Sun Rounds: ()

Civilian:

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 22, 2020, 12:22:25 pm »

We better do fun stuff in the steam age

Military:
Sunseedlock Musket: (1) Rockeater
Sunic Cartridge: (2) Stirk, Madman (Note, Vetoed by GM)

Civilian:

Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 22, 2020, 12:49:05 pm »

We better do fun stuff in the steam age

Military:
Sunic Cartridge: (2) Stirk, Madman (Not Vetoed by GM)

Civilian:

Fixed spelling error

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 22, 2020, 12:51:45 pm »

Military:
Rúm & the Protection of Eld: (3) TricMagic, Jilladilla, Madman

Civilian:

Quote from: Twinwolf on Discord
Yeah my main issue with it is that you took me telling you to stop going for depleted uranium type bullets and just did it another way.
Please stop focusing on depleted uranium.
You're basically not going to get something equivalent to it in the prelims.

Allow me to fix your "fix" for you.

There, things that are not valid are no longer present in the votebox.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 12:53:30 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 22, 2020, 01:12:23 pm »

Right. After all the Rum shenanigans on Discord... I considered using Rúm's fluff but with Skytears instead. Tric asked me to do that so here we are. If you have a better name than 'Skytear Carriage'; please, go ahead and suggest it. Yell at me if there's any lingering artifacts of the old proposal I at least partially copy and pasted.

Skytears, Skytear Carriages & the Protection of Eld

We came across a new people and ended up managing to join them to us. The forest country of Eld has long since made use of something they call Skytears, a black stone whose density is variable. They first used this to lighten themselves to climb the tall trees away from their foes. Later times saw them apply it to wooden weapons to greatly increase their weight and power in combat, and their longbows allowed them great mobility and advantages against their invaders over the years..

However, with the Renaissance, their isolationist times have finally been forced to come to an end by their northern neighbors seeking the wood and animals of the great redwood forest to build their sailing ships. Having come to us, we drove them back with our superior metallurgy and sunseed weaponry; in exchange for their Skytears, as long as we left their forest be. An arrangement that would set the precedent for Etroan Foreign Policy, of taking in and protecting smaller nations while mercilessly obliterating those who would threaten and exploit them.

Put simply, Skytears can change their density, it's weight, in response to shifts in temperature. Light as air, if not lighter, or heavy as stone and iron. It can do more; we've seen Eld do things with it that baffle us; however, respecting the sovereignty of our allies, we let them have their secrets just as we keep our own.

The most memorable early creation using Skytears for Etroa as a whole was in the creation of the 'Skytear Carriage'; something other nations mimicked with their 'hot-air balloons, the Skytear Carriage exploited the first discovered use of Skytears: in that their density shifts in response to temperature changes much like most normal matter; however the effects are greatly exaggerated. With a mass of these fairly lightweight at 'room temperature' rocks enveloped in a net and then tethered to a basket mounted with either a Sunseed Boiler or Sunic Lead Burner (The superior method was a topic of very intense debate for decades), it was fairly simple in construction; with exposure to the hot steam or smoke prompting the Skytears to experience a dramatic drop in density and become lighter than air; causing the 'carriage' to rise into the sky.

With the fulfillment of man's long held dream of flight, a subsequent surge in the arts occurred; glass windows and skylights, stained or not, became a frequent sight so that people could see more of the sky, aerial paintings became a common occurrence during this time period; and most major artists during this time period owned a Skytear Carriage as such. Most military bases and outposts also possessed one or two; as the value of elevation on a guardsman's sight range was a well known thing.

Removed the part about the Sunic Cartridges being vetoed by Twinwolf (they were, but Twinwolf was going to count those votes for the 'Nerfed' version, I made a slight edit to the votebox make this clear to everyone.) And yes, I know what I'm currently voting for. I will admit that I mostly want Eld being one of possibly many Protected States of ours to be an actual part of our lore.
Ok. Yell at me if I lost anything after having to adapt to Stirk's and Madman's Votebox Shenanigans.

Military:
Sunic Cartridge(Nerfed): (1) Stirk
Rúm & the Protection of Eld: (3) TricMagic, Jilladilla, Madman

Civilian:
Skytear Carriage & Eld: (1) Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 22, 2020, 02:11:18 pm »

Quote from: Shift means Rúm. Kinda like this Votebox.
Military:
NOLAS: (2) Vostok, TricMaigc
Rúm & the Protection of Eld: (2) , Jilladilla, Madman

Civilian:
Public Sanitation: (3) Madman, Vostok, Rockeater
Skytear Carriage & Eld: (2) Jilladilla, TricMagic

Nazarov-Obdržálek Light Amplification System, Solar Gun addition

Sunseed glass was first created sometime during the tenth century by a glassblower known as Ivan Nazarov, famous for finding inspiration for his work while under the influence. While drunk one day, he decided to try creating glassware with crushed sunseed added to the mixture, which resulted in a vase with an otherworldly glow to it, shining even in the dead of night. Lucky for him, this impressed the priest who commissioned the piece enough that he managed to avoid getting executed for heresy. This technique was then passed down through the Nazarov family for the next four hundred years, bringing great renown to his descendents, who used the technique in everything from vases to stained glass windows.

The first recorded use of sunseed glass for practical purposes was in 1570, when a brilliant young naval officer by the name of Jaroslav Obdržálek commissioned a set of marine telescope lenses made of the material from Aleksey Nazarov. It quickly became evident to Obdržálek that what he had was the world's first night vision telescope, and after some experimentation it was discovered that Sunseed Glass amplified the light passing through it. Seeing the potential of such a technology, he partnered with Aleksey to explore the use of sunseed glass in practical applications as soon as he left the military. Soon after, they patented a system of sunseed-glass light amplification known as NOLAS, or "Nazarov-Obdržálek Light Amplification System."

After the Protection of Eld occurred, and the Skytear Carriages came to be, some saw the use of Sunseed Glass in weaponry to burn others and start fires amidst enemy lines. While some created Hot 'Air' Balloons to mimic us, Skytear Carriages were far superior in their control of height, and could fly higher.

So came to be the Solar Gun. The Solar Gun makes use of a central chamber which is filled with water. By pressing the trigger, an opening is made where a sunseed resides, connecting it to the water chamber. This causes it's light to build up in that chamber, which through multiple 1 foot sunseed glass mirrors in a barrel, is turned into a concentrated light that shoots forward in a straight line. In a manner of seconds, anything touched by it boils and catches afire. This lasted until the water in the chamber boiled away, at which point the top would need to be opened and the gun refilled. It's been shown to be especially effective in taking down other hot air balloons, as they rely on fabrics to hold the air in, which inevitably burn. Combined with the Night Vision Telescope, and lesser Solar Flares(which used a single colored sunseed glass lens and the water chamber to pass direction messages to ground forces.), allowed domination over most enemies, even before the rest of Etroa's arsenal was considered.
---
This wouldn't be figured out until much, much later, but the sunseed-glass reaction operates as a special case of blackbody radiation. Some of the incoming photons are absorbed by the sunseed glass, exciting the atoms within it, and is quickly re-radiated along the same path as electrons fall back to lower energy levels. Because of the special properties of the sunseed particles inside the glass, however, more photons are emitted than are absorbed, creating a light-amplification effect. [/quote]

[/quote]
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 02:22:31 pm by TricMagic »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 22, 2020, 03:38:27 pm »

Military:
Military:

Civilian:
Public Sanitation: (3) Madman, Vostok, Rockeater ("More like Lore than a design")
Skytear Carriage & Eld: (2) Jilladilla, TricMagic

Yeah my main issue with it is that you took me telling you to stop going for depleted uranium type bullets and just did it another way.
Please stop focusing on depleted uranium.
You're basically not going to get something equivalent to it in the prelims.

Allow me to fix your "fix" for you.

There, things that are not valid are no longer present in the votebox.

Fixed your fix
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 03:51:38 pm by Stirk »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 22, 2020, 03:51:25 pm »

Quote from: Shift means Rúm. Kinda like this Votebox.
Military:

Civilian:
Public Sanitation: (3) Madman, Vostok, Rockeater