Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: PBEM Emperor of the Fading Suns Interest Check 2: Electric Boogaloo  (Read 1376 times)

HellHound01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello again, I posted an interest check back in June for getting a possible MP game going, and while there was some minor interest it didn't seem there was enough to actually start up a game. Thought I'd check back in and see if there was any more interest.

Welcome to Emperor of the Fading Suns!

Explanation:

EotFS is a 4x space game. Something of a cult classic among the small community that knows of it, and what may be one of the most compelling combinations of gameplay and setting in a 4x game to date. In EotFS you will take control of one of the five Great Houses of the Pheonix Empire, the largest human nation in existence. You will fight with the other Great Houses for control of worlds and the wealth that they bring, battle with millions of soldiers at your command, and wheel and deal for enough political favor to be named Regent (and maybe even Emperor).

The game is pbem, and as such is something of a "slow burn" in terms of length with each Great House taking a turn, before passing the save on to the next House. My goal is to utilize the game as a framework for political roleplay here, with a House of High Lords allowing players to vote on laws, sanctions, and discuss the events of the game from an in-character perspective.

The Settings:

The game will be run with EotFS 1.4, Reality Mod, and Emperor Wars Mod. This adds many bug fixes and combat rebalancing, new units, and new techs. It has an amazing amount of flavor, with all of the Great Houses holding various estates and fiefs spread across the known worlds.

Universal Warehouse will be off.
Plague will be on.
Rebellion will be on.

Or, alternatively. We could try something more experimental. The Phoenix rebuild is on version 0.60, and all the base mechanics work. Unfortunately it seems to be dead having no updates since 2017, and it has no AI. Which means every faction would need a player. The five Great Houses, The League, The Church, The Vau, The Symbiots, and The Rebels. It's very stable and works with every mod, but with no AI that means several basic game mechanics are disabled (the Inquisition searching techs for instance), and would require a lot more roleplay. Don't try and use the in-game diplomacy screen as anyone other than the Great Houses either, or you will crash to desktop.

Feel free to post if you have an interest in the game, I'd actually prefer multiple players per House so we could keep the game moving even if someone drops out or forgets a turn.

EDIT:

I just realized this should have gone to the play with your buddies subforum. I apologize and if a Mod sees this, please move it to the correct place. Thank you.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 09:05:22 pm by HellHound01 »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: PBEM Emperor of the Fading Suns Interest Check 2: Electric Boogaloo
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 06:38:20 pm »

I think I volunteered to command the rebels before.  I could handle that again.  Whether I actually do anything, that is part of being a random rebel!

HellHound01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 06:40:13 pm »

I think I volunteered to command the rebels before.  I could handle that again.  Whether I actually do anything, that is part of being a random rebel!

If we go that route it would open a lot of roleplay possibilities.

But we would need to hammer out a lot of ground rules.

The League and the Church for example, start very powerful. We would need house rules to maintain a sense of balance, especially early game.

Even the rebels, if you treated them as a monolithic group could swarm the known worlds.

Maybe for the rebs, you would need to split them into multiple "Factions" where you would treat each group on each world as different groups. Barbarians, Freedom Fighters, Pirates, and so on.

For the Church, we could implement some kind of investigation roleplay. Church player lands Inquisitors on a world, gets within one hex of a Lab estate, and if the player has "Proscribed" tech, they can destroy the lab. If the player resist, its war.

The League I've done a bit more testing with, and it seems that when a player buys resources from them, the League player gets the cash from the sale in the treasury and the resources leave there control. Unfortunately, it seems when a player sells resources, the resources don't enter the League's control. I'm not sure if they get the cash or not. More testing is needed.

Also, the Vau and Symbs don't pay any upkeep, and can just build units at no cost. We will probably want some kind of limit on that.

EDIT:

Framer, one of the mods of the steam group, has set up a discord to help organize games. Even if you aren't interested in playing in the game currently being organized (2 spots left) feel free to hop in and discuss the game or even set up your own PBEM game.

https://discord.gg/smrSaRY
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 06:37:18 pm by HellHound01 »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 09:11:16 pm »

Even the rebels, if you treated them as a monolithic group could swarm the known worlds.

Maybe for the rebs, you would need to split them into multiple "Factions" where you would treat each group on each world as different groups. Barbarians, Freedom Fighters, Pirates, and so on.

An idea would be to only play one or two planets of rebels each turn for, uh, balance reasons, and totally not due to laziness on my part, no sir, definitely for balance reasons!